• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Load for 180 Grain Barnes TSX and Varget in .308 W

user

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
USA
Any suggestions for a .308 Win Load for 180 Barnes TSX hunting load with Varget?

Thanks,

Re: Load for 180 Grain Barnes TSX and Varget in .308 W

BTTT

Maybe this can help get you started. This is from Barns.

barns.jpg

I shoot 45.0 Varget with a .580 bc 180gr VLD to the lands in Lapua brass for 2710fps at 70 degrees.

But according the above chart that's way-over Max.

If you pick brass with a larger case capacity, jump the bullets .010, and watch for pressure signs, I bet you can work up close to 44.0 fairly easily.

I hunt paper targets at a distance.
grin.gif

I believe those 180 TSX bullets would be better suited for the 300 Magnums. From my experience they dont open to much if at all at 2000fps. I would drop to a 150

Howdy everyone, thanks for the responses and info....

Hog's is on the menu. Thought I'd try the 180 cause its windy in the hills where they live...

Less drift, but you're right, prolly switch to some thing lighter....maybe a 168 / 165.

Re: Load for 180 Grain Barnes TSX and Varget in .3

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe this can help get you started. This is from Barns.

barns.jpg
</div></div>

Forgot about them, Thank you!