• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

load testing help

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
well after testing 10 diffrent loads with imr powder i think iam ready to sort between two loads. and i would like your advice
I am working up a load for 175 smk's with imr 4064 in my msg90 (clone) i have tried every thing from 39.0 up to 42.6 with 41.0 and 41.5 being the most accurate and 41.0 was a little bit better then 41.5 i was shooting 3rnd groups of each.

i have shot 41.0 2 times and both times it has been the better of all the loads it was testing aginst.

should I try 41.1 41.2 and so forth up to 41.5 3 rounds of each or should i load up about 10 rounds with 41.0 and test that to see what it yelds me ?

iam testing at 200 yards and both 41.0 loads shot ( lenth and with center to center ) under 1.5" but i want to be able to conferm that this load is true and then keep this data and test it at every range 300 400 etc and use this info for a dope card.

your advice on testing this load would be awsome

Re: load testing help

To save ammo i would suggest 3rounds per load going .1 gran above and behind the load that fired well. Then based on those youll see which one is good and which ones is bad. Then play on those to see how they do at longer ranges

Mag length really doesn't matter in a NATO chamber. Especially with a fluted chamber. Load the 1/2gr loads to find the speed you want. Then go back in 1/10th increments to find your load.

iam actully trying to load as cloas to coal is possible

41.0 is the best so far and 41.5 did well, 39.5 sucked and every thing above 41.5 sucked thats where iam at now

where would you go from here ?

are you doing .5gr experimental increments? I need to know what your test basis is before I answer. .5gr is the norm here which I'm not a fan of. if so, you haven't really done anything wrong, but a can steer you toward where to go.

0.3 grains will make a difference in a rifle. Shooting 3 round groups will only tell you that the load is worth trying again. Next time with that good load, try 5 rounds (5 rounds will tell you the load is consistant). If it proves good again, try 10 rounds (10 rounds will tell you how consistant you are). Also, if you are not using a chrono, I'd advise you to get one,borrow one,etc. Having the standard deviation adequate is helpful for longer ranges. This is what works for me. hope it can help you.
LBH