• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Loading for first OCW test. Does this look right?

TXLEO

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2013
Central Texas
On Friday I am going to load up for my first attempt at an OCW test. How do these number look? Gun is a Rem 700p LTR .308. Will be loading 178 AMAX ahead of Varget. CCI BR2 primers. I believe Winchester brass, my boss is giving me a bunch to get me started. Will start with an OAL of 2.810 as that is what my boss shoots and his dies arae set up for. I'll play once I have my powder charge. I have read that 43.5 grn and 45 grn are popular loads so I tried to get a range that would encompass those. I also don't want to go too hot for my first attempt. Not sure if I should load the .7% group or the 1% group. Obviously less ammo used in testing with the 1%, but I want to do it right. Anything I'm missing?

Last edited:
I start at the listed minimum charge and increment .3 grains to the book max ("never exceed") plus a couple loads, maybe .5 grain past the listed max, for cartridges using charges in the 40-50 grain range.
In the case of .260 Remington, 140 grain bullets, and H4350, I went up to grains over listed max because I read several accounts of people running well over the listed max charge of 42 grains.
Of course I am examining every case for pressure signs when approaching the max.

For .223 loads in the 20-30 grain range, I increment .2 grains.

Joe

I follow Dan Newberry's rules to the T. what I can see you have got it right. usually takes 24-30rnds or so. I like to load extra siters so I have some foulers, I clean my barrel after each set.

Where did you get that table for Dans OCW? Or did you make it your self? I just saw his wright up explaining his OCW actually but haven't seen his "ice cream" load charts.

Any one know where I can get the 175/168 load charts? Or a site that has his data? Again I've only been able to find his wright up about the process and his links where he will step by step you for a small fee till you find your load together.

That chart is an Excel sheet from a hide member. There is s thread with it in here a few pages back. you plug in your numbers (max charge) and it does the math for your other loads.

That chart is an Excel sheet from a hide member. There is s thread with it in here a few pages back. you plug in your numbers (max charge) and it does the math for your other loads.

well, I wish I could find that thread, I have been looking all over the place and can't seem to find it. do you know who made it?