• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading for first OCW test. Does this look right?

TXLEO

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2013
Central Texas
On Friday I am going to load up for my first attempt at an OCW test. How do these number look? Gun is a Rem 700p LTR .308. Will be loading 178 AMAX ahead of Varget. CCI BR2 primers. I believe Winchester brass, my boss is giving me a bunch to get me started. Will start with an OAL of 2.810 as that is what my boss shoots and his dies arae set up for. I'll play once I have my powder charge. I have read that 43.5 grn and 45 grn are popular loads so I tried to get a range that would encompass those. I also don't want to go too hot for my first attempt. Not sure if I should load the .7% group or the 1% group. Obviously less ammo used in testing with the 1%, but I want to do it right. Anything I'm missing?

Last edited:
I start at the listed minimum charge and increment .3 grains to the book max ("never exceed") plus a couple loads, maybe .5 grain past the listed max, for cartridges using charges in the 40-50 grain range.
In the case of .260 Remington, 140 grain bullets, and H4350, I went up to grains over listed max because I read several accounts of people running well over the listed max charge of 42 grains.
Of course I am examining every case for pressure signs when approaching the max.

For .223 loads in the 20-30 grain range, I increment .2 grains.

Joe

I follow Dan Newberry's rules to the T. what I can see you have got it right. usually takes 24-30rnds or so. I like to load extra siters so I have some foulers, I clean my barrel after each set.

Where did you get that table for Dans OCW? Or did you make it your self? I just saw his wright up explaining his OCW actually but haven't seen his "ice cream" load charts.

Any one know where I can get the 175/168 load charts? Or a site that has his data? Again I've only been able to find his wright up about the process and his links where he will step by step you for a small fee till you find your load together.

That chart is an Excel sheet from a hide member. There is s thread with it in here a few pages back. you plug in your numbers (max charge) and it does the math for your other loads.

That chart is an Excel sheet from a hide member. There is s thread with it in here a few pages back. you plug in your numbers (max charge) and it does the math for your other loads.

well, I wish I could find that thread, I have been looking all over the place and can't seem to find it. do you know who made it?