• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

loading in the lands

Low Sioux

Private
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2010
South San Juan
I have a browning 1885 falling block 25-06 that is currently shooting 115 bergers .257 into about .75 in. with a nosler book max of 52 gr of I4831 .005 off the lands @3150 . The falling block does not have a plunger style ejector so its a bit more difficult to read pressure signs. the action will allow me to seat into the lands, so would you back off on the load and start from scratch working up or do you think I am safe trying a group at my current load? Its Remmy brass so I guess the worst that can happen in a blown primer and a ruined case, but thought I would throw it out there: How much do you typically back down a known load if you try seating into the lands? Thanks

Re: loading in the lands

Why risk it? Drop the charge by 7% and start again. It's only going to cost you about 15 rounds to work your way back up.

QuickLoad says seating into the lands increases start pressure by 7200 PSI.

Since you have to reduce your load when you load into the lands, do you lose velocity, or is that offset by the increased pressure?

Lakeway-

I dont know how to answer that. I loaded three rounds seated .010 into the lands with my existing 52 grain load and shot em. Primers looked the same case head measured the same, none of the primers fell out, and it still shot .75 I did not chrono them so I am not sure what the net effect on velocity was.

The 25-06 is not exactly easy on barrels so I dont know how interested I am doing extensive load development for another .25 in. This is the first time I have loaded Bergers in or out of the lands so I was just curious if there was a dramatic improvement in accuracy. Thanks to CamoWildcat for the QL data he can probably run it there and give you a better answer

Great resource. Its interesting that he makes no reference to reducing the powder charge on the jammed load, or powder charge at any point. I wonder if VLDs tend not to spike pressure as much when jammed as a traditionally shaped tangent ogive or spitzer shaped hunting bullet. If Berger has any rule of thumb on reducing the powder charge I would like to hear any of their guys chime in. As it stands they make it sound as if jamming is just another seating depth to try with a VLD - which in fact parallels my experience here

I pick an upper mid range load and shoot 4 groups of 5 at .010, .050, .090, and .0130 jump just to eval how the gun likes the Berger. I take the best of those 4 and load 5 at .005 more and 5 at .005 less seat and take the best of the 3 groups. Then I work up my load with that seat depth using a ladder test of one each at .3 grain increments. Pick the best node of the ladder test and usually have to do no more though you can tweak seat some from there if needed. I don't even try to seat jammed because all my guns are for hunting also and I want to be able to unload without the posibility of the jammed bullet pulling any when I unload.