• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading Mixed Brass

wIg SpLiTtEr

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2012
Texas
So I just started reloading and over the years I have accumulated an assortment of 9mm pistol brass. I'm looking to achieve an acceptable amount of accuracy out of my load's considering all the brass prep I've done. How would you guy's go about separating this brass that's from all different manufacturers and a wide range of "lots"? I cant see separating my brass by manufacturers, then weight, because I would have a BUNCH of piles a A LOT of load development to do. Would it hurt anything to separate them by weight alone?? What would be the result if I found a good charge weight and loaded up any and all brass with that particular weight? Feel free to chime in, Thanks!

Re: Loading Mixed Brass

I don't sort my semi-auto handgun brass at all.

There are a few things I look at when I first get brass from unknown origins. Assuming you don't load on a Dillon 1050, military brass that has crimped primers needs to be set aside to be swaged or reamed. AMERC brass is junk and will go in the scrap bucket. Any of the aluminum or steel cases also get scrapped.

Otherwise, I just inspect the loaded rounds for cracks while putting them in the case gauge.

In my opinion, your bullet/powder combo will make a much bigger difference in your accuracy than the brass prep will.

^^^ I agree. This is a misapplication of rifle handloading practices.

pistol brass doesn't need all the work and care match rifle ammo require. clean your brass, reload, and shoot it i have shot countless steel, USPSA, glock matches with mixed brass simply tumbled and reloaded on a dillon 1050 and have always done really well locally. if there were some lost point is was me and not the ammo's fault.

There is only one instance where I don't sort all my handgun brass. That's when I run to the end of a batch, and run out of that particular headstamp. For instance, if I'm at 490 pieces of R-P brass ... I usually dip into the WIN or Speer brass bucket to get enough to finish my loading.

In all other instances, I always use the same headstamp.

There's no particular reason for this ... other than that's just the way I've always done it.

Don't sort your handgun brass, there is no use and you won't see much of a difference when loading. with rifle brass you will see the difference, since there can be as much as 5 grains of difference between the carrying capacity of different brands of brass (for example, my 300WSM winchester brass holds 4.5 grains more water than my Remington brass), and that difference can cause pressure signs in one brand of brass while be perfectly safe in another.

The only sorting of handgun brass that I do, is looking for Berdan Primers, Crimped primers, odd metals, Primer size and 38spl+P. Usually the sort is to separate the calibers.

A note on Primer size, if loading 38 spl. there are some old cases out there that have LARGE Pistol primers, just like there are SMALL Pistol primer 45 ACP.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Modoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only sorting of handgun brass that I do, is looking for Berdan Primers, Crimped primers, odd metals, Primer size and 38spl+P. Usually the sort is to separate the calibers.

A note on Primer size, if loading 38 spl. there are some old cases out there that have LARGE Pistol primers, just like there are SMALL Pistol primer 45 ACP. </div></div>

I thought about doing this, but by the time I look for all of the 'WCC', S&B, and Small Primer pockets on my 45 ACP ... I could have sorted the batch! Plus, being the OCD guy that I am ... it makes me feel better to label my containers with the Headstamp and Caliber for storage.
laugh.gif

Also, I did try it one time with 9mm ... unsorted brass load, and I ended up blowing a tube of primers on my Dillon 650. Some Jackass threw a WCC crimped primer brass in my batch!
smile.gif
That'll ruin your day fast, and you'll be reminded of it for days due to the ringing in your ears.

A bit of truth here, I usually find the Berdan/Smaa/Large odd ones by feel while I am loading on the Dillon. I actually pick each case up and glance at the head & stamp before putting it in the press. This method doesn't work too well with a case feeder though.

I've been lucky, since I haven't seen much if any S&B at my range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Modoc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I've been lucky, since I haven't seen much if any S&B at my range. </div></div>

That's good to know! Maybe people have stopped shooting it!
smile.gif