• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Loading once fired crimped brass

Hook Creek

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 7, 2010
Catskill Mountains, NY
Dont have a tool to remove the old crimp so I loaded some to see how they went in. some went easy, some deformed the primer slightly. Anyone done this before? results?

Using lake city brass for .223

Re: Loading once fired crimped brass

usually you can remove it with a chamfer tool. forcing the primers can lead to detonation.

RCBS swaging tool, or Dillon Super Swager. The RCBS has worked well for me, and is reasonably priced. It just adds one more simple stage to the brass prep on the first loading.

I just hit the primer area with my chamfer tool, but not too much. Works like a charm when the chamfer tool is under power. Like Larry Potterfield says, "that's the way it is!"

Once. When prepping brass that I didn't realized was crimped. I had hit it with a pocket uniformer first. It was a real PITA but ended up with primed brass. Just use a crappy lyman hand swaging tool now.

Dillon Precision makes a primer pocket swager Super Swage 600 I haven't tried it personally, but odds are it's worth a phone call to talk to them about it.

You surely don't want to have a primer go off when you're putting into the case. Might wind up with the nickname Lefty [if you're using a hand primer anyway].
Or worse, it might set off a good portion of what's on your loading bench at the time. Definitely "exciting", & for certain, BAD JuJu!

How much do you plan on using crimped brass?

I have the Dillon Super Swager, it works great but unless you're de-crimping a lot of military surplus brass it probably isn't worth the money. Like others said before, the chamfer tool works fine for small amounts.

If you're decrimping a lot then it's worth it to buy the Dillon. I have a lot of left over HXP .30/06 and LC .223 so it was worth if for me.

With the Wilson case prep tool there is a little milling tool that cuts out the crimped material. Makes a very nice tight hole for the primer.

I have been using the RCBS tool to swage my black hills brass in .308. I works well for the 100-150 rounds I do at a time, but anymore than that I would probably upgrade to the dillon.

I use a RCBS good for the money. I just did a bunch of 60's LC the swagger didn't hit anything. Better to do it the right way. If you live by a company like river valley they usually charge about $35 per thousand to process brass. Well worth it for once fired.

I use a chamfer tool to remove the crimp and it does the job, i reload .223 often and it is working good so far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: UNCIVILIZED</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dillon Precision makes a primer pocket swager Super Swage 600 I haven't tried it personally, but odds are it's worth a phone call to talk to them about it.

</div></div>

It's worth more than just a phone call.
I've had one for several years now after listening to all the "just use your chamfer tool", "that cheap little lyman primer pocket reamer is all you need", and other cheapskate solutions.

The good part about swaging is that NO metal is removed. The primer pocket is reformed so any irregularity created by the crimping process is corrected. I've picked up and examined more than just a few "reamed" cases and hands down, swaging is not only quicker, it's the best.

I found that my swaging tool more than paid for itself. When shooting at a public range I just ask those who are shooting brass with crimped pockets if they save it. 8 out of 10 say "No, help yourself". I'm many thousands of pieces of nice, once fired, Lake City brass, ahead of my needs. Didn't take long at all to swage.

Last benefit. When swaged, the pocket area is "worked" thus toughening the brass. The result is a primer pocket that doesn't loosen up as it does with some other brass.

1. swager
2. primer pocket uniforming tool
3. chamfer tool
4. drill bit used like a chamfer tool

Any will work, but that is my descending order of preference. Having a primer detonate when you are not expecting it really surprises the crap out of you. If you are doing the priming on a progressive press where there is powder around, it can become extremely dangerous to ignite a half pound of powder in the hopper.

I hated the RCBS swager tool. I think I broke 3-4 rods before I just gave the fucking thing away. I just cut the crimp out now, it takes 2-3 turns and the crimp is gone.

A friend with the RCBS warned me against it, so I got the Dillon.

The Dillon did ~ 8,000 rounds while I was watching TV and hardly had to look down to do it.

It is a great tool, if you can somehow justify the price.

Been at this for over 30 yrs now. Swaged thousands of rounds. Best, fastest swager I ever tried is the CH4D. I can swage 100 rds 223 in about 3 minutes without getting in a real bind. Where other swagers require a full stroke of the handle, this one only takes an inch or 2. You can swage as fast as you can swap brass out in a shell holder. All the work is ON TOP of your press where there is plenty of room. Built like a tank, IN THE USA, fast, CHEAP @ ~40 bucks delivered. It can also be used for priming on the press. I do not work for them, just believe in their products. They have many products, probably offer more weird caliber dies than anybody else.
http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/priming/419000

I have never heard of that unit, (CH4D), but it looks great. I have been using the RCBS unit, and it works, but is a major pain in the butt. If I ever get another batch of swaged brass, I'll get the CH4D!

Lyman case prep center, has a tool on it just for that purpose. I just ordered mine, since I reload HXP brass. Look it up on the web.When it gets in I will do a review on it.

Doc Les

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtrmn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Been at this for over 30 yrs now. Swaged thousands of rounds. Best, fastest swager I ever tried is the CH4D. I can swage 100 rds 223 in about 3 minutes without getting in a real bind. Where other swagers require a full stroke of the handle, this one only takes an inch or 2. You can swage as fast as you can swap brass out in a shell holder. All the work is ON TOP of your press where there is plenty of room. Built like a tank, IN THE USA, fast, CHEAP @ ~40 bucks delivered. It can also be used for priming on the press. I do not work for them, just believe in their products. They have many products, probably offer more weird caliber dies than anybody else.
http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/priming/419000 </div></div>

Thanks for the link. Looks like a cheaper alternative to the Dillion.

Thanks for the tip on the ch4d. I have found that winchester primers are a little smaller or softer than some others and go in deprimed cases easier, at least for the first time...

DocLes said:
Lyman case prep center, has a tool on it just for that purpose. I just ordered mine, since I reload HXP brass. Look it up on the web.When it gets in I will do a review on it.

I have the Lyman prep center. It's a good setup for most case prep at a reasonable cost, but the included decrimping tools are totally inadequate. It takes so much pressure to get them to cut, you can only do a couple dozen cases before your hand is too sore to continue. I reverted to using the chamfer tool for decrimping on th Lyman. I am gonna buy one of those CH4D units now, though. That looks like a good setup.

I've done several hundred with the RCBS one, and didn't have any problem with it. I really like the look of the CH4D, though, thanks to whoever posted it. I think I might just get one, as I just got 1500 rounds of Lake City 1X military brass from Apex in KS.