• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

loads for a garand???

Vaughn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2012
Raleigh, NC
About to start loading some -06 for the garand and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as far as bullets, weights, powder...combinations, etc...

Re: loads for a garand???

I would look around the net and see what the CMP guys are doing. I know the old service rifles need to be treated a little more gently.

Vaugn,

While the CMP recommendation is a sound one, you will find the loads recommended anemic at best.

Check out this website: www.garandgear.com.

Under the section of the wesite titled "shooting commercial ammo" You will find the ONLY scientific analysis of commercial loads and its effects on the Garand.

The CMP forum, while a great knowledge base for all things Garand, is full of people committed to the old wives tales as to what type of ammo and loads are ok to shoot through the Garand.

You will also find the audience there "testy", and generally not open to trying new things.

Go in with an open mind, and try not to ruffle any feathers.

Best.

hornaday has a section just for the garand in their latest book

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vaughn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">About to start loading some -06 for the garand and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations as far as bullets, weights, powder...combinations, etc... </div></div>

The US specification for M2 AP Ball is a 165.7 gr bullet @ 2715 fps 78 feet from the muzzle, powder charge of 55 grs of WW852

The US specifications for M2 Ball is a 150 gr bullet @ 2740 FPS 78 feet from the muzzle, powder charge of 50grs IMR 4895

For my Garands I use IMR 4064 until I hit 2800 fps with a 150 gr bullet and 2700 fps with 165gr bullets. My current lot of 4064 does this with both bullet weights at 48.5 grs

The charge weights change with each lot of powder, so I like to buy 32lbs of powder at a time, this is approximately 4400 rounds before I have to rework the load.

As to some people being concerned about the op rod, if you stay with IMR-3031, 4895, 4064, 4320 powders @ target the listed velocities you will not bend your op rod.

Good luck and have fun with the Garand.

After reading the link above, I am better informed. I currently use DCM/CMP load data, and am content with it, but the additional info gives me a much better insight into actual pressure curves and limits as they relate to various versions of commercial ammo.

My load is 50.0gr of IMR-4064 in Rem brass, with HDY 150gr FMJBT and WLR or CCI-200 primers. For the distances I shoot (300yd and under) I feel I have no need for bullets of more than 150/155gr weights.

I will also be looking into getting one of the gas plugs mentioned in the article. It clearly protects the OpRod, and I'm in favor of that, bigtime.

Greg

My M1 with a 1:12 Heavy Kreiger likes 47.5gr of IMR-4895 and a 175gr SMK for 600yds. For the shortline I run 47gr and 135gr SMKs

This load gives me 2 MOA and cycles great

Rem case
IMR 4895 46.5 gr
168 Sie HPBT
Win SLR primer
OAL 3.3

Same load with 46.0 gr of powder does not reliably cycle the rifle.

Jet

since my range does not allow shooters to shoot iron sights further than 100 yards i load 44 grns varget with 168 cc nosler. no function problems. Also use same load for my 1903a3.

wow, thanks guys for all the info...this is exactly what I wanted, several different recipes to try to see what works best for me by guys who have actually shot the loads. Thanks Again!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since my range does not allow shooters to shoot iron sights further than 100 yards</div></div>

What is the reasoning behind that idiotic ideal.

range is afraid of rounds going out of range and landing on someones porch.

I have a CMP Garand that I worked up the following load for:
LC 69 brass trimmed to spec and 49.0 gr of IMR 4895 with a Hornady 150 gr FMJ/BT bullet. I used a Lee Factory Crimp Die to put just a slight crimp in the cannelure grove on that bullet and it shoots MOA and functions great and no problems with the brass, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">since my range does not allow shooters to shoot iron sights further than 100 yards</div></div>

What is the reasoning behind that idiotic ideal. </div></div>

I was wondering the same thing. As if a $40 3-9x scope is better than M1 adjustable sights...

Anyway, I've always loaded 147-150gr FMJ and FMJBT's infront of 48.0gr of IMR 4064 in military brass. CCI 34's or 200's loaded at the cannelure. My M1 (unmodified 1943 S/A with a '55 rebarrel) shoots it about 1.5-2 MOA.

If you have military brass (or equivalent water capacity cases), try 47.5 4064 and any of the 168-gr HPBT match bullets. Lots of references cite to that charge weight. I tested into it on my own, before having a chrono. Averaged 1.6 MOA over many, many tests with a medium-heavy barrel from...um...SAI???...Armscorp Int'l...??? Anyway, it weren't no Douglas tube but it let me shoot Expert scores a few times despite my 300-yd RF troubles and occasional wild shot standing.

Don't remember the speed, but it tracked the elevation knob closely out to 600. Don't bother with that bullet beyond 800 unless your altitude is way up there.

And 300 yards on a windy day is where you start to get a noticeable advantage with the 168 over the 150-gr bullets--especially the flat base bullets. No difference of course if you really always get your wind calls perfect AND dial the right amount of wind. But I can't do that every day.