• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Local hunter match, tripod or not?

Partsunavailable

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 22, 2019
    Going to try a local hunter type match. The match description says that a tripod isnt required, if required it will be provided. It's my first match and tripod management on my pack uses time. For a first time match, would you try it without?

It’s faster and easier to find and range targets quickly if you have something stable to glass off of, and for NRL Hunter a tripod with a gamechanger thrown on top of it is a great way to accomplish that.

Even if you never shoot off of it, it will be worth taking some time to get used to setting it up and glassing off of it (kneeling and standing) on the clock before the match.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Partsunavailable
    Going to try a local hunter type match. The match description says that a tripod isnt required, if required it will be provided. It's my first match and tripod management on my pack uses time. For a first time match, would you try it without?
    Managing a tripod on the clock is a process. Practice with it, flesh out an assembly procedure and use it.

Useful advice above. I did some rearranging on my pack, strapped my bag to the outside and moved the zipper openings to the side rather than the middle. My first objection to having the tripod on my pack, was gaining quick access to the inside of the pack without unstrapping the tripod. If I keep my bag on the outside, I'm thinking I won't need to be digging it out of the pack. Where do you guys like your mags for easy access. Ive been running with them in a front coat pocket, wondering if a holster would be better. These seem like stupid questions, but small changes make a big difference in making things run smoothly.

For a Hunter games local match, just run whatever you are cooking and see what you like or dont like. Thats what these matches are for, testing gear.
    If trying to develop a sweet field setup, some way to get an elevated shooting position is a must. It can be a pack, extra long bipod, tripod, shooting sticks, etc. I believe the tripod is the most versatile. Lots can be done without them, but everything seems easier with them.
    If only working to develop a specific NRL Hunter 2 day match setup, a tripod is damn near mandatory to do well. I have seen some do well without, but its tough. A triple pull ckyepod is also pretty handy.
    Either way, one day Hunter matches are a great way to go shoot plates and explore whatever pursuit you want.

Reactions: Tx_Aggie