• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Locking DTA SRS barrel

cpatbay

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2011
California, USA
I just installed my new 308 SRS barrel on my A1 chassis. Everything seems to go in properly. But when I tried to turn the screw to "lock" the barrel to the chassis, I could only turn the screw slightly more than half way between the "unlock" and "lock" markers on the chassis. According to the manual, I should be able to turn it all the way to the "lock" marker; which is 180 degrees from the "unlock" marker. Am I doing this right?

Are you using one of DTA's barrels? Sometimes it can be a little hard to engage the lock the first few times. I have a couple barrels that have the finish worn off right were the lock engages the barrel. Make sure everything is lined up properly, maybe even insert the bolt and lock it down before trying to turn the lock on the barrel.

I will let DTA chime in on this, but I don't believe the lock is necessary for the firearm to function properly. The lock helps the user to know that the barrel is fully seated in the chassis and prevents the barrel from falling out of the chassis, should the chassis be pointed down before any of the four bolts on the chassis that are used to lock the action down on the barrel are tightened.

Agreed with the above. The locking mechanism can be kind of tight on new rifles but it shouldn't take much effort to complete the 180 degree rotation. I would assume it rotates freely without the barrel? The good news is technically you can still shoot it without the lock engaged (see the DTA thread a few months ago), as Nick said it's there primarily so that people seat the barrel all the way into the chassis and not too short. And as mentioned, locking the bolt first is a good idea. You might also check to see that nothing is obstructing the area around the feed ramp (where the barrel extension indexes) that would prevent the barrel from seating 100%. That would definitely affect the locking bolt's rotational limit.