• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Lone Survivor The Movie

Think there is already a thread on this somewhere. I love Marky Marck and all, but why does his facial hair always look like pubes? It was bad in "Shooter."

Was the choice to use Wahlberg because he's a 2/3's the size of Lutrell and therefore cheaper to film?

Think there is already a thread on this somewhere. I love Marky Marck and all, but why does his facial hair always look like pubes? It was bad in "Shooter."

Lay off Marky Mark's hair! His pony tail in shooter was nothing short of "epic". Feel the vibration!

I have met Marcus.Truly a great American.Very humble and he gave a great account of the events of operation redwing.I can only hope Hollywood doesnt fu&k this movie up

If it doesn't turn out the way people here want it, they'll blame Hollywood. If it turns out good, they won't give Hollywood any credit. Yes, it sucks to work on movies sometimes.

If I remember correctly in the book the mission was to kill or capture the Taliban leader guy right?

In the preview on the TV it sounded to me like the mission was to capture?

For those who want insight into this conflict, please read Nathan Self's book "Two Wars," and the related (very necessary) reportage in "Not a Good Day to Die." You'll be glad you did. This should also be made into a movie. The combo movie from "Two Wars" and "Not a Good Day to Die" could be one of the greatest movies of all time. If it was up to me, it would have to be shot on the actual location.
Jim

I think we always sent two snipers as part of a "capture" team. :)

Last edited:
Going to go see the movie Friday night after my girlfriend gets tattooed. Really looking forward to it!

If it was up to me, it would have to be shot on the actual location.
Jim

That would be so cost prohibitive that the movie studio, underwriters and bond company would kill that idea before you finished saying it ;)

Downloaded the book but have been waiting for an upcoming business trip to read it. I plan to read it on the plane on Thursday and hopefully find time to catch the movie during the trip.

It seems like Luttrell was very involved in making sure the movie was true to actual events. I'm excited to read/see the story.

That would be so cost prohibitive that the movie studio, underwriters and bond company would kill that idea before you finished saying it ;)

I live in Realityville, too. Too durn bad! Hey, maybe there's a place in New Zealand which would suffice, since there's every kind of topography imagineable there! My dream would still put production on location, for the spiritual component. Like a lot of other dreams, it's not at all likely. Really, read the books, you guys. Epic on many levels.
Jim

Here's my famous quote: "Proper leadership is a roadmap, not a railroad." Sun Tzu - or Confucius, I forget. Anyway, I like Dogtown's quote, so I made one up. Answer me back, and I'll write another famous quote.

I thought the book was much better than the movie in this case, as it often is. They skipped too much of his personal life to really understand what Luttrell was truly fighting for. Thinking about it, they didn't give any background on the guys to understand where any of them came from. I could have sworn that was actually Luttrel who poured the coffee on the bench immediately following the foot race but I couldn't find anything on it after the movie.

Overall, worth a watch.

Last edited:
It was. He had a small part. I felt they left out a lot that could have been put in. Such as the part where he is at the send off of the bodies. That part of the book always gets to me.

He was in there in a few parts. One of them being the guy who dropped the rope on the helo at the end. It varied from the book especially at the end. Understandable though considering it is two hours long as it is and was compressed a lot.

I recommend people to go see this regardless of their opinion of Hollyweird is.

I saw it today, very good. However, they left a lot out, and I agree the end could have been better. The montage at the end was very classy!

I still find it hard to believe Mark Wahlberg as Marcus Luttrell. Loved the book, and will be reading it again soon.

Last edited:
I saw it today, very good. However, they left a lot out, and I agree the end could have been better. The montage at the end was very classy!

I still find it hard to believe Mark Wahlberg as Marcus Luttrell. Loved the book, and will be reading it again soon.

I wonder if Mark Wahlberg and Marcus Luttrell had any love for each other. Mark Wahlberg is VERY anti-gun. 8 Surprising Anti-Gun Celebrities - Guns & Ammo

Movie is worth watching. I can totally understand why they would not film on location (it is freaking Afghanistan!)

The end was a bit dumb vs what really happened, there was no gunfighting between Taliban and villagers. No doubt though, it was a huge risk for the people that took Marcus in, hope they got rewarded and taken care of. I would love to see Mohammed Gulab, Lutrell's main rescuer; get American Citizenship if he would want it.

"If I don't make it, tell her I died with my brothers, with a full heart." That line really got me.

I enjoyed seeing them with their suppressed Mk12'sh rifles. With the right dudes behind them they became real force multipliers. One of these days I'll go look at the Danny Dietz statue in Littleton, CO, he grew up 10 minutes from my office.

Last edited:
Did anybody see some dipshit in Florida shot two people today in a theater showing Lone Survivor because of TEXTING on a cell phone?

Unrelated to the film's content or Marcus' book but geez...

The movie was good, but it would have been much better if it stayed truer to the book. The Hollywood finish was a disappointment. However, they did get a lot in the two hours of film. Yes, the montage at the end was excellent. I am glad that was left in. The audience was super quiet after words, which said a lot.

Dogtown, could they have written a script depicting the week in the village, and still kept the film at a reasonable length?

Last edited:
Lone Survivor The Movie

The movie was good, but it would have been much better if it stayed truer to the book. The Hollywood finish was a disappointment. However, they did get a lot in the two hours of film. Yes, the montage at the end was excellent. I am glad that was left in. The audience was super quiet after words, which said a lot.

Dogtown, could they have written a script depicting the week in the village, and still kept the film at a reasonable length?

Agree......... Movie should have been 3-4 hours to tell the whole story. Wish they would have shown Marcus traveling to the families of his brothers and his Families point of view during his ordeal.

Great movie though.

Story was awesome even if someone changeded it up a little. I just tried to enjoy the movie and not read to much into the stuff that wasn't correct (like Marcus dying). I thought Marcus dying in the movie was like a piece of him dying on the mountain.....some kind of symbolic thing. The clean uniforms was obvious to everyone I talked with. "Damn, those uniforms still look pressed-out". I'm not a three gunner and I am haven't been to Afghanistan, but on one of the the rifles had a scope and a jpoint. The character was looking through his scope every time and the enemy was right in front of him (what about the jpoint). I would like to know if I am wrong or did anyone else see this? It looked like where they were fighting (in the movie) was pretty dense. So, the uniforms and jpoint were my two discrepancies.

Last edited:
We saw this movie a couple days ago. I thought it was excellent. After the movie ended it was dead silent in the theatre, I think everybody was still in awe.

Great movie, will add it to my collection. Man those guys are driven hard core MF's.... The seals. Wouldn't want them chasing me.

We saw this movie a couple days ago. I thought it was excellent. After the movie ended it was dead silent in the theatre, I think everybody was still in awe.

I saw it last night. I didn't hear a sound throughout the entire movie. Everyone was incredibly reverent. At the end no one moved, we all gave a round of applause. You could see several folks weeping as they exited the theater.

It is hard to say I enjoyed the movie, given the subject matter, but I did feel as though I had a small inkling of the quality of the men the actors portrayed. I appreciate their service, and I appreciate their sacrifice.

Chip

Sure, but it's more a matter of pace than length. I'm pretty sure they felt they couldn't deliver a painfully slow and comparatively uneventful third act after the action and suspense of the first two.

Dogtown,
Thanks for the professional viewpoint, that makes sense. Also, someone suggested this movie might have been even better if it was 5 hours, as the Band of Brothers was, on TV.

Everyone in the theatre was dead quiet, and very moved by the movie. At the end I had some tears in my eyes. I also have been on the side of a cliff with someone actively trying to kill me. This brought up old memories, hell of a way to learn about the other side of life, especially as a teenager.

I'm guessing that the pirated DVDs will be arriving in our Haji Bazaar this weekend, which will be weird in itself (watching a Pakistani pirated DVD of THIS movie in Afgh), so I obviously haven't seen the film yet, but from the trailers, I was completely distracted by the landscape. The actual events happened in Kunar province which borders Pakistan and is a few provinces north of where I am now. I know that in some of those regions there is some decent timber compared to the South where the majority of the country is basically wasteland or some odd farmland.

I'd be interested if anyone here has been in that region that could comment on the landscape in Kunar. To me is it's just WAY too "Rocky Mountains" and is distractingly nice looking. The VAST majority of this country just says "SUCK" when you look at it, smell it, walk through it, or fly over it; and from what I saw, that was NOT captured in the movie (where it was in the book).

If I remember correctly in the book the mission was to kill or capture the Taliban leader guy right?

In the preview on the TV it sounded to me like the mission was to capture?

The mission was not to kill or capture anyone. They were a 4 man SEAL RECON team sent it to observe the enemy and report back to HQ in preparation for a larger assault force coming in behind them to capture the Taliban leader.

Great movie. But I was pissed off for the first hour because they just let those people go in the beginning. Things would have been much better if they didn't.

Mark Wahlberg is a great actor but I think he is anti gun.

Mr. Luttrell said exactly that. If he had it to do over again he would kill them.

No doubt it was a tough choice all the way around. It was pretty clear they knew the end result.

Saw the movie and I thought they did a good job. I have read the book, met Marcus and heard him speak. There is so much important detail in his book, but impossible to fit all of that in a movie.

Mr. Luttrell said exactly that. If he had it to do over again he would kill them.

No doubt it was a tough choice all the way around. It was pretty clear they knew the end result.

Monday morning quarterbacking: they could have taken the Taliban prisoner until they left, they could have tied them up where the villagers would have found them within a day, and they should have gotten the hell out of there, gone to high ground, and called for help immediately.

The Taliban apparently flooded the area until they located the Seals. I think they should have hiked as far and fast as possible, to give themselves more time. Sitting there hoping for the best, well it would have been better off killing the Taliban like Marcus said. Also Marcus repeatedly mentioned that the Taliban were very fast, while the Americans were weighed down. The Seals brought a laptop, apparently to store information, which was recovered and exploited by the Taliban. Personally, I would have kept my gear to a minimum, hopefully 20 lbs.

I'm pretty sure they knew what they were doing. I assure you they took only the necessities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I saw the movie. I didn't like some of the aspects of the movie, landscape, some other stuff that always pisses me off. The end where they showed the photos of the dead! I think they got that right, no if and or buts about it.

Just saw it tonite and, honestly, was a bit disappointed. It was kind of a 2 hour helmet-cam video. The book is amazing...

The narrative of a team not killing civilians is nothing new. CWO2 Richard "Bulldog" Balwanz and his SF team had the same experience in 1991 when they were discovered watching the Iraqi MLS road by kids herding goats. They spared the kids who called Iraqi soldiers and ended up in a long firefight. Also in 1991, the SAS team Bravo Two Zero also spared the life of a young shepherd and found themselves compromised. It's a tough call, but IMHO that's what honor is made of.

Anyway, the movie was worth seeing, but not as good as I had hoped.

Cheers,

Sirhr