• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Long Action caliber in AI/AT

Jeremy45

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2010
Odessa, TX
Is there any reason I can't run a 280AI in an AT as long as I single feed?

I need a long range hunting caliber but I only need it a couple of weekends a year and don't want to drop the dough on a AXMC to shoot short actions 98% of the time.

Jeremy

I guess you could get a barrel spun up for it but personally I'd find another caliber.

I wouldn't discount the short action calibers for hunting. I've had huge success with the 6.5 creedmoor on everything including elk.
if you want a 7mm take a look at the 7mm SAW from WTO, 7-08 blown out.

Maybe a 338 federal? I was contemplating this exact same situation because I’m looking at getting an AT

How long of a barrel are you willing to use? 7x47 or 7-08 improved / 7SAW could be feasible options with a longer barrel.

Also, can AT bolts be opened up for magnum calibres? It would be pricey to obtain a second bolt I'm sure, but if feasible, you could run a 6.5 or 7 SAUM (I'm currently gathering parts to do this with a Tikka CTR build).

How long of a barrel are you willing to use? 7x47 or 7-08 improved / 7SAW could be feasible options with a longer barrel.

Also, can AT bolts be opened up for magnum calibres? It would be pricey to obtain a second bolt I'm sure, but if feasible, you could run a 6.5 or 7 SAUM (I'm currently gathering parts to do this with a Tikka CTR build).

I remember someone, I believe chad from lri, saying that the problem was the extractor and that one could not be opened up. I’d love to know if someone could though.

Barrel would probably be between 22 & 24".

I don't think the AT bolts can be opened up. If they could I think you'd see them all over the place because an AT that would handle SAUM cartridges would be all over the place.

I had the same question so I’m going to keep a eye on this post. I have a AXmc short action.

Maybe a 338 federal? I was contemplating this exact same situation because I’m looking at getting an AT

I'll check into that. I'm wanting something that will reliably expand a hunting bullet in the 800-1000 yard range. I may just have to suck it up and run an action that let's me use magnum cartridges, although looking at the Sherman wildcat thread makes me think I could go that route on a standard bolt face and get pretty close.

I'll check into that. I'm wanting something that will reliably expand a hunting bullet in the 800-1000 yard range. I may just have to suck it up and run an action that let's me use magnum cartridges, although looking at the Sherman wildcat thread makes me think I could go that route on a standard bolt face and get pretty close.

It doesn't look like 338 federal will get me where I am trying to go. A 180 acubond fired at 2700fps is below 1800fps around 450 yrds. I'm hoping to get a quality hunting bullet to 850+ at 1800 fps (for reliable expansion). So far, that looks like .284/.284 shehane territory for 7mm and maybe 6.5-284 for 6.5? I am still doing research but I think a 7mm is going to be where I am at.

It doesn't look like 338 federal will get me where I am trying to go. A 180 acubond fired at 2700fps is below 1800fps around 450 yrds. I'm hoping to get a quality hunting bullet to 850+ at 1800 fps (for reliable expansion). So far, that looks like .284/.284 shehane territory for 7mm and maybe 6.5-284 for 6.5? I am still doing research but I think a 7mm is going to be where I am at.

I am also trying to find something. I was looking at maybe the 7mm-08, 6.5x284, and would a 284 win or 280 work? Or do they need a bigger action? The 6.5 Sherman short mag looks good as well from the Sherman thread.

I am also trying to find something. I was looking at maybe the 7mm-08, 6.5x284, and would a 284 win or 280 work? Or do they need a bigger action? The 6.5 Sherman short mag looks good as well from the Sherman thread.

I think 284 is right on the edge or working in a short action, it's good with light to medium for caliber bullets but the heavies get a little long. I'm thinking more of single loading and loading long action cartridges. The Sherman short mag looks great but won't work on a AT or AX308 due to bolt face.

I think 284 is right on the edge or working in a short action, it's good with light to medium for caliber bullets but the heavies get a little long. I'm thinking more of single loading and loading long action cartridges. The Sherman short mag looks great but won't work on a AT or AX308 due to bolt face.

Did you check out the 7SAW from West Texas ordnance? That was making a little noise in another thread a little while ago. I would love to get better numbers on it though and how hard it is to find brass etc.

Wasn't the 6.5 Addiction designed to be run in a short action? Could be a good option.

Wasn't the 6.5 Addiction designed to be run in a short action? Could be a good option.
I think it was made for a short action but seems like it needs a little longer action to get the most potential out of it. If I understand correctly that cartridge may not run in a standard .308 bolt face which is a problem on an AT because you can't open it up.

Velocity wise looks like I could get to 800+ yds with a 140gr which would be pretty close to what I'm looking for. I need to do some more reading on the bolt face issues.

Jeremy

A short action option I just found that may be worth investigating is the 270-08 Improved. I'll be discussing this option with my smith when rebarrelling my CTR.

So could you do a single fed LA cartridge in a SA? Say a 300WM in a SA (assuming correct size bf)?

So could you do a single fed LA cartridge in a SA? Say a 300WM in a SA (assuming correct size bf)?
That's the idea except the AT only has standard bolt face. So I'm trying to single feed a long action standard bolt face cartridge.