• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Long action conversation

elkaz7

Private
Minuteman
May 21, 2017
Hi guys looking for some info. I have a Remington 700 7mm rem mag and Im looking to convert to another caliber for long range (1,000 yrd +) to mess around with and eventually hunt with. What is the best caliber I can go with? Im fairly new to the long range game and not quite up to all the terminology. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
With the magnum bolt face and long action, it's damned difficult to beat the 7mmRM, IMO. You could go with one of the short mags to get performance close(-ish) to what your current chambering is capable of, but in all honesty I'd look into a getting a nice barrel installed (in 7mmRM), and tailoring loads to your application(s).

Maybe consider converting to something like 7LRM? Other than that, though, the cartridge you've got is a great one for that application.

I was wondering if anything could beat it. Maybe ill just sell the rifle I have 2 thats why I was wanting to switch. Would like to kinda compare the two. Maybe ill just switch one of my short actions to a 6.5 creed

Gonna be hard to beat 7mm Mag for long action long range shooting. There may be "better" options out there, but the difference ballistically will be very small, especially if you want to deliver enough energy down range for serious long-range hunting, and you'll probably end up with more recoil.

I wanna do a 28 nosler real bad. My buddu just bought one and man does it perform well

You could go with the .264 win mag and take advantage of some of the awesome high BC bullets available. The only real advantage would be lower recoil than comparable BC bullets in the 7mm. Having said that, it would be hard to beat a 7mm mag of some kind. The 7mm Mashburn magnum offers a longer neck than the 7mm rem mag with essentially the same powder capacity of it's parent case the .300 win mag.

A lot of options depending on exactly what you want to do and preferences. 7mmRM and 300WM are the most common choices. 28 Nosler, 300 RUM, 300 NM.

If you really want some serious performance at that range, you can turn it into a 338 Edge. I just built one on a Stiller Predator long action. It's the highest performance you can cram in that action, 300gr bullets at 2850-3000fps with Re33. It does require some modification of the action, but if I could modify a $1500 action with a dremel you can do it to a factory action.

With a brake you won't even pay in recoil over your 7mmRM....

With the magnum bolt face and long action, it's damned difficult to beat the 7mmRM, IMO. You could go with one of the short mags to get performance close(-ish) to what your current chambering is capable of, but in all honesty I'd look into a getting a nice barrel installed (in 7mmRM), and tailoring loads to your application(s).

Maybe consider converting to something like 7LRM? Other than that, though, the cartridge you've got is a great one for that application.

This. The 7MMRM is more than capable.

6.5-284 Norma will fill all those needs and then some in a long action. With less recoil.

With that bolt face I would go 7mag or 28 Nosler. I turned my 300WM into a 28 Nosler. Absolute bad ass cartridge! I'm shooting 195g EOL with 80.2g RL 33. 3050 fps and crazy accurate at 1000 and beyond!

The 7mm Rem Mag is going to give you great performance. That being said, I am not a fan of belted magnums, just for the fact that the belt doesn't do anything to help the case structurally and just causes undue complications in reloading. I think that a cartridge of similar performance in a 7mm flavor without a belt is going to be one of the best long range choices out there (a la 7mm LRM, 7mm Dakota, 28 Nosler, etc.)

Last edited: