• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long barrel 224 Valkyrie

gaowensjr

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2013
I'm building one and wanted to see if anyone else has done this. Mine will have a 28" X-Caliber. I handload and have had good luck with my cousins 20" and this is just something to see what would happen with velocity.

Gas gun or bolt? I have a 24 inch cmmg bbl and a wilson 22. I lost 23 fps going to the 22 inch barrel. Ballpark 70 fps maybee?

Reactions: acudaowner
What length between gas port and muzzle will start to impact unlocking before leaves the barrel, or at the very least have the pressure on too long?

Here’s a couple more questions for you. Why are there carbine length and a rifle length gas tubes and buffer tubes? Why not just a single size?

What length between gas port and muzzle will start to impact unlocking before leaves the barrel, or at the very least have the pressure on too long?

I asked what the above question meant. Instead of answering it you answered with questions. I was only trying to help and give the info I see with my rifles. Pretty sure that's the point of this thread. Why are you asking questions you know the answers to?

Okay, if you really do not know what was being asked, he was trying to find out how long the gas tube would have to be for a 28” barrel. And therefore also where the gas port would need to be.

If there is too much barrel length after the gas port, then too much gas flows into the receiver and it can causes issues with excessive recoil and wear to the rifle. If there is not enough barrel length after the gas port, then too little gas flows into the receiver and the rifle may not cycle or may jam.

Many people with 22”-24” barrels use a +1” or +2” gas port/tube. My Craddock .224V barrel has a +2” gas tube and port location.

edit: the way your post read to me, it sounding like you were being obtuse.

Okay, if you really do not know what was being asked, he was trying to find out how long the gas tube would have to be for a 28” barrel. And therefore also where the gas port would need to be.

If there is too much barrel length after the gas port, then too much gas flows into the receiver and it can causes issues with excessive recoil and wear to the rifle. If there is not enough barrel length after the gas port, then too little gas flows into the receiver and the rifle may not cycle or may jam.

Many people with 22”-24” barrels use a +1” or +2” gas port/tube. My Craddock .224V barrel has a +2” gas tube and port location.

edit: the way your post read to me, it sounding like you were being obtuse.
Thank you. That's an excellent answer. I have no clue what the answer to that would be. Jp told me 22 inches is the optimum barrel length for a valkyrie and gave me an answer that I had a difficult time following. Seeing there rifle shoots pretty darn good I went with it. If you dont mind me asking. What kinda groups are you seeing and what kinda ammo/handloads are you doing? I'm currently doing 26.0 h4350 with an 88 eld 44 thousands off the lands. The groups are about 1 inch but my velocity is very consistent at 2633. I had some test loads same set up with 4064 shot .3 inches but insane high extreme spreads who would figure. Thanks again for the help and answer !

I in no way meant to come across negative. Appologies if it reads that way guys. Just really did not understand the question. Now that I do I'm interested to see how a long barrel like that works out!

I am not hand loading for my .224V. That’s the reason I bought it. I load for a bunch of rifles already and wanted something that would be fun and give me respectable results using factory ammo. I did get that with this rifle. With the three factory loads I’ve used so far: Federal 90 gr, Hornady 88 gr and Federal AE 75 gr, it shoots inside of 1 MOA and is just plain fun.

When ordering the barrel from Craddock, I discussed optimal barrel length with Paul and he also recommended the 22” length. He suggested the +2 gas block location as well. Using an adjustable gas block with this combo gets me a smooth recoiling rifle.

It will be interesting to hear what the results are when using a 28” barrel.

When I replace my barrel on my 224 I am definatly going 26'' I loved my 24'' factory it is more of a pencil barrel , but if i have a choice its uncut no taper 26'' for me

I am not hand loading for my .224V. That’s the reason I bought it. I load for a bunch of rifles already and wanted something that would be fun and give me respectable results using factory ammo. I did get that with this rifle. With the three factory loads I’ve used so far: Federal 90 gr, Hornady 88 gr and Federal AE 75 gr, it shoots inside of 1 MOA and is just plain fun.

When ordering the barrel from Craddock, I discussed optimal barrel length with Paul and he also recommended the 22” length. He suggested the +2 gas block location as well. Using an adjustable gas block with this combo gets me a smooth recoiling rifle.

It will be interesting to hear what the results are when using a 28” barrel.
I was shocked how good the federal 75 grain stuff works. I had 13 fps extreme spread with them. I saw YouTube video of jp making mexican match worh them pulling tips and just replacing with what I think was 69smk. My wilson bbl uses a .875 gas block and I could not find an adjustable one that fit. Also wilson said not to use one that the hole is smaller.

Good stuff thanks for taking the time. The round seems to get a lot of hate but I love it. Been real good to for hog hunting and some local prs matches.
Fast twist rate seems to also work well for hunting but that's another story.

Keep us posted about ur build ! I am on the fence with doing a bartlein LH gain twist at 26 inches.

I had issues getting the gas block under the handguard......I'm running a griffin armament it's pretty generously sized.....hope you dont have any issues with that.
Are you reloading?

I had issues getting the gas block under the handguard......I'm running a griffin armament it's pretty generously sized.....hope you dont have any issues with that.
Are you reloading?
I’m using a low profile Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. It not only fits well under the low profile Seekins handguard, but does so on an .875 barrel. Worth every penny.

Reactions: Rollingrock308
I’m using a low profile Superlative Arms adjustable gas block. It not only fits well under the low profile Seekins handguard, but does so on an .875 barrel. Worth every penny.
Excellent info thanks. I will look it up and see if it will fit under mine. I had a .750 24 inch cmmg barrel previously with a seekins low pro. World of difference. Funny I lost a little velocity switching to an adj gas block.

I’m getting 2750 FPS in my 22” barrel with the Hornady factory 88 eldm. That works good for me and I much prefer modest speeds that are very consistent and predictable over pushing the speed limit with something I can’t trust will stay the same.

I’m getting 2750 FPS in my 22” barrel with the Hornady factory 88 eldm. That works good for me and I much prefer modest speeds that are very consistent and predictable over pushing the speed limit with something I can’t trust will stay the same.
[/QUOTE.
Totally agree. Are u seeing consistency at 1000 yards ? Have you had it out that far?

Totally agree. Are u seeing consistency at 1000 yards ? Have you had it out that far?
No, only to 900 yards so far. Past about 600 yards, the 88s seem more consistent than the 75s, but I don’t have enough rounds down range at distance to really say for sure yet.

For a 28" inch barrel I was going to guess +6 if anyone makes one. My question is, what is the gain from 24 to 28? Where does barrel length start to slow the bullet?

For a 28" inch barrel I was going to guess +6 if anyone makes one. My question is, what is the gain from 24 to 28? Where does barrel length start to slow the bullet?

Found this article interesting they take a 28 bbl (bolt gun) and start cutting it down. Article has a chart.

Good article, in 6.5 they did 2 articles one was 24 one was 25 inch for optimum length. My next parts purchases are going to be based for a 24 inch 6.5 CM AR based long range prone gun( A1 style buttstock and adjustable butt plate). I have a .308 kit laying around but want to build it as a straight .308.

Good article, in 6.5 they did 2 articles one was 24 one was 25 inch for optimum length. My next parts purchases are going to be based for a 24 inch 6.5 CM AR based long range prone gun( A1 style buttstock and adjustable butt plate). I have a .308 kit laying around but want to build it as a straight .308.
[/QUOTE

Good stuff. Any thoughts on the 6 creed for that build? My prs buddies either shoot that or dashers.

I haven't looked much at either. I was going to get a Savage barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor then decided to make the AR I was going to make in 5.56 several years ago in 6.5. I have a Long Range bolt rifle in .308.

Sorry if my question on barrel and gas port created some friction- and I was referring to the 28 inch barrel. a 22-24 inch barrel with a +2 gas system seems reasonable. 28 inches got my attention. It seems that +6 would be what you want, but that is a loooooong gas tube and you'll either have a long forend or an exposed gas tube. That offends my aesthetic and durability sensibilities. ;) Plus, I'd want an adjustable gas block just to have some control since I don't know what size gas port would be optimal for that beast.

To me, the advantages of the longer barrel are out weighed by the unknowns (or little known) of gassing a 28 inch barrel, the weight of the barrel, and the foreend.

Yes, the recoil would be pretty light, but the overall weight and size would make an AR10 platform look competitive.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the 224V vs 6mmARC goes before I spin up a LR AR.

Sorry if my question on barrel and gas port created some friction- and I was referring to the 28 inch barrel. a 22-24 inch barrel with a +2 gas system seems reasonable. 28 inches got my attention. It seems that +6 would be what you want, but that is a loooooong gas tube and you'll either have a long forend or an exposed gas tube. That offends my aesthetic and durability sensibilities. ;) Plus, I'd want an adjustable gas block just to have some control since I don't know what size gas port would be optimal for that beast.

To me, the advantages of the longer barrel are out weighed by the unknowns (or little known) of gassing a 28 inch barrel, the weight of the barrel, and the foreend.

Yes, the recoil would be pretty light, but the overall weight and size would make an AR10 platform look competitive.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the 224V vs 6mmARC goes before I spin up a LR AR.
I know a few guys who pre ordered 6mm arc will keep everyone posted. Anything hornady creates it awsome period in my book. Do u shoot PRS matches? One thing I will say is I am sure 6mm hits will be easier to spot in steel plates! Some early opinions in the round were it was very inherently accurate. That peaks my interest. Soon to see I guess. I'm wondering where you could find a plus 6 gas tube and a handguard long enough. I agree with the its gotta be under a handguard thing.....

White Oak Armament stocks +3 and says they can make any custom length. +6 was a SWAG, I'd check that for before ordering. I'm sure White Oak can help with measurement and barrel. I'd say Google handguards. I'm sure you can find a custom length from some one.