• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long barrel VS Short Barrel

HideTarget

Private
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2012
Earth
hi guys
I want to buy a rimfire
I want to choose between the two rifles,Both are .22LR Caliber but one of these rifles has 63cm barrel and other rifle has 53cm barrel
I want to know the long barrel is better or short barrel?
this difference of 10 cm between barrels,what effect on the Trajectory,power,POI,etc ???

I am grateful if you can help me

Re: Long barrel VS Short Barrel

longer barrels usually translate into higher muzzle velocity, however I wouldn't think it would be a very drastic change on a .22lr.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zwhetz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">longer barrels usually translate into higher muzzle velocity, however I wouldn't think it would be a very drastic change on a .22lr. </div></div>
This is backwards on a 22rf. Longer barrels= more drag on the bullet and less velocity. Longer barrels are nice if you're running sights due to the longer sight radius. My scoped ones are 16-18, and my sight equipped rifle is at 24". I ran a test with a chronograph and each time I cut an inch off my barrel speed went up. I stopped at 16" and it gained speed the whole time.

I think right at about 16 inches is perfect for a 22lr