• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Distance 5.56 Shooting

AR-fan

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2010
kentucky
Ok...here are the questions I have...first off: I have a very accurate AR-15 carbine with a 16 inch barrel. I have shot it with a fixed 3.5X sight for a while now, but just mounted a 1.5-4.5X scope on it and was thinking about trying to do some longer range shooting. My barrel has a 1:9 twist rate, so I can't shoot some of the longer bullets that a lot of the guys shoot long range shooting with. I think I am going to have my gunsmith load me up some 68 grain bullets for it and try those out. My question is what would be a the maximum distance the rifle would be able to shoot accurately. I am shooting 5/8" groups at 100 yards with 55 grain hollow point Federal you buy at Wal-Mart in the 200 round packs for $79.99. I am just wanting to know what the effective accurate range would be with a 16 inch barreled AR-15.

The next question is I am wanting to make a metal target about 16" wide and the length of the my torso. I was wondering what kind of metal would be best used for this. I want something that will last a while and not allow a 5.56 to fully penetrate. I was thinking about making it because I thought it would be a few bucks cheaper than buying one. What say all you? What would be the best kind of metal and thickness for a head and torso popper?

Re: Long Distance 5.56 Shooting

You're really only limited by your own ability to shoot and judge the wind. High power shooters take .223 out to 1000 yards. Of course they're not shooting prairie dogs at that range.

3/8" AR500 is a good choice for targets. There is at least one vendor on the Hide doing steel targets, very reasonably.
Link

osuarchitect's profile

I know that I will be a lot less accurate than the rifle will be. I just don't know much about ballistics and how wind and different things affect a bullet in its path to a target. I have seen a lot ballistic charts for the .223 cartridge on the net, but most are for barrel lengths that are much longer than my 16 inch barrel and I have yet to find any that are for the shorter length rifles. Does anyone know of any online ballistic charts that show velocities and the suspected bullet drop at ranges out to 500-600 yards? I know that the chart will not hold exactly true for my rifle, but it will give me a close place to start. Also...what would be the heaviest bullet that a 1:9 twist barrel will stabilize at longer distances? I have shot some 75 grain Black Hills HPs out of my gun, and they seemed like they didn't yaw any, but that was at only 75 yards or so. I am sure that it would have key holed at longer distances. Any help would be wonderful. Thanks everyone.

JBM is what most everybody recommends online here.

As for stabilizing bullets I think the recommended max is ~69 gr. for 1:9" twist barrels, but you have to test to figure out what works best in your barrel.

I believe a part of the USMC's training is shooting the m4 carbine out to 500yds(or meters, not sure), using 62gr m855. I would only feel comfortable to a max of 600 with a 16" barrel and 69gr ammo, shooting a man size torso. Of course I believe wind would cause havoc on me as the range I shoot on hardly has any wind at all to compensate for.

The supersonic range of a 68 SMK in a 16" barrel (with safe pressures) is around 750 yards.
600 to 700 yards is a realistic "maximum" range shot where, in an accurate rifle, bullets should behave, and have a level of predictability.

Quality ammunition is required.

As for the steel, yea AR 500 3/8 thick will last and last, but is a little $$. If you know anyone who works on or works for a shop that changes out scraper blades on dozers and such that steel is almost as hard as 500 and is thicker, it will hold up to alot of 556/762 stuff..............

The trigger is going to always be your biggest issue as far as the AR platform goes. If you are talking about a std mil spec trigger good luck past 300 yds with a quality match or varmint system add the 200 to 300 if you can shoot and shoot alot. IMO

Cheers!

Rooter

Check the twist rate on your barrel. Mine is a RRA 16" labeled 1:9. My barrel is almost a 1:8.5 twist. This barrel will stabilize Hornady 75gr HPBT Match bullets. Rooterbegger is right, you will not get longe range precision with an AR trying to use a standard trigger.

The farthest I have gotten mine on a silhoutte is 600 yds. Not saying the rifle/bullet combo can't do it, just saying I cannot do it on a regular basis. At 500 yds I am good to go, so I consider that my limit with that rifle. You may be able to stretch that with your rifle and abilities.

I've taken my 16" AR running the Hornady 68 grain BTHP to 800 yards. I don't recall the speed off hand, but calculations show it is good to right at 780 yards. We didn't shoot it any further. It's running fast at 5.56 pressures. It shoots very well. The wind is your worst enemy for these at distance.