• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Long Eye Relief Scope for Ruger GSR

Hooglebot

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2010
Australia
G'Day all,

Just chasing after some advice on what might be a good long eye relief scope for a Ruger GSR bolt action rifle. I plan on using the forward mounting position On the picatinny rail as opposed to the conventional scope ring mounting position. I'm after a scope that is decent quality but without the premium price tags. Leupold, Zeiss, Nightforce, etc. Are way out of my price range... I'd be thinking something more like Tasco, Bushnell, Burris, etc... Roughly up to $500 max.

I might be asking a bit much, but ideally I'd like a scope with:

Exposed turret knobs
.MOA click adjustment
variable zoom (possibly up to 8 or 9 X)

Am I asking for a miracle? :)

Cheers

Without indulging in the rhetoric that will soon follow. The purpose of the long eye relief scope is fast acquisition, with one or both eyes open. The only feature you need is a thick reticle to put the crosshairs on your target at MPBR (max point blank range). Fast adjustments and mildots are found on the cheap Chinese scopes, but IMHO are sort of useless on a forward mounted scope. Also keeping the mag at x2 or x4 will allow for a smaller objective and mounting closer to the barrel/ receiver. Again, cheek weld, point and shoot.

On the entry level you have the Weaver and Burris scout. Weaver 4x28 Classic Scout Scope - Weaver Riflescope FREE S&H 849417. Weaver Rifle Scopes.

Burris Scout 2.75x20mm Heavy Plex Reticle Riflescope FREE S&H 200269. Burris Rifle Scopes.

Nikon has the encore EER and Leupold the FX-II scout.

Notice the recommendation of "scout" scopes, as they are designed for scout rifles. The parallax is set for a longer range than the typical pistol scope.

You could get by with a pistol scope in a pinch, but best to get the correct optic up front. There may be some fancy extended eye relief scopes with the features you mentioned, but I am making recommendations based on my search a couple years ago.

Have fun!

The only option I've seen where I work is the Burris scout, and we have a demo model setup with the optic and it looks to work well.

Thanks for the advice :)

Think I will go with the Burris Scout. Having not had the chance to actually see one before I will get the chance to order, and as I would like to order rings at the same time, what height scope rings do you think it would need? I am looking at ordering the Burris 1 " Xtreme Tactical Picatinny Style Rings (Burris 30mm Xtreme Tactical Picatinny-Style Rings Matte Low Package of)... Would you recommend the "Low" (1/4 inch clearance measured from base of ring to bottom of scope tube) or "medium" (1/2 inch clearance)?

Cheers

I emailed Burris about the dimension of the ocular bell and here is what they sent me.

"The outer diameter of the Scout scope is 27.559 mm. Have a nice day."

Best Regards,

Joshua Lawley
Burris/ Steiner Technical Support Manager
1-888-228-7747
[email protected]

Now 27mm sounds more like the dimensions of the objective bell. You might want to check some other websites like MidwayUsa as they have dimensions of most of the scopes they sell.

As for rings, the Burris ones you have listed are chunky and will take up a lot of real estate on that scope.

My suggestion would be a Warne or Leupold quick release so you can get that scope off if you need to.

Here is a nifty rail that extends across the whole receiver and has a built in peep site.

XS Sight Systems - Scope Mounts

As for measurements and ring size, here is the thread on how to do that.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...1-ring-height-info-how-measure-correctly.html

My scout is a custom Mauser using an XS rail. With an older Nikon and a 35mm obj bell the Warne low rings fit, but not sure of the dimensions of your configuration. Probably will be best if you can get the scope into a local gunshop and ask them to assist with a fit. Not sure if that is cool down there, but will save shipping the wrong ones.

Burris 2.75x EER Scope

Dimensions, in inches unless otherwise stated:

•A: 9.2
•B: 6.0
•C: 2.7
•D: 2.2
•E: 2.3
•F: 0.79
•G: 27mm
•H: 35mm
Weight: 7oz

Burris_2_75.gif