• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range camera options

hoguer

The Dude
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Central Valley, CA
I'm interested in purchasing a camera for long range target video recording, and I think I'm going to settle on the Nikon B700 with 60x optical zoom. I'm not looking for absolute pro quality video, just something pumping out slightly better image quality than my phone on my spotting scope. Are there any other similarly priced options I should be considering?

Have you considered something more like this?

Caldwell Ballistic Precision LR 1 Mile Target Camera System
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/512717/caldwell-ballistic-precision-lr-1-mile-target-camera-system

It's a much different approach than a digital camera at long range. Even if it has much lower resolution head-to-head, having the camera right by the target is an advantage of its own - it streams to the receiver you have next to you, and hook to your phone, tablet, etc. Unfortunately I've only had my eye on it, and therefore can't give a personal review. The reviews on Midway look promising though. Maybe someone else has experience with a system like that ?

Have you considered DIY? You could build your own system for a couple hundred + whatever you want to spend on a USB/webcam and stream straight to a monitor/laptop/phone. I built a system using WiFi and Raspberry Pis for ~220 and I'm just going to use some old cellphones for a camera initially. Will be testing in the next couple of weeks. Based on my calculations, the WiFi protocol actually breaks (since I can't tune the timers) before the signal drops out. Can't speak for bullseye, but I know some solutions transmit an analog signal which means you might get shitty quality regardless of the camera used.

For the money I have to reccomend the Sony RX 10 3. Really long zoom lens and good video.

This video was shot using the sony at 500 and 1000yds. Yes it was extremely overcast so mirage was nonexistent... but still impressive imo. Also its weather proofed a bit.

https://web.stagram.com/p/BUE6khrhd_S

Last edited:
Great video, but $350 vs $1350 I am going to start off with the Nikon. If I get really into it I'll definitely look into the Sony for the next step