• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Long Range Cartridges

wahoo87

Private
Minuteman
Sep 5, 2010
I'm working on building my first custom rifle. I've got a savage action with a 300 win mag bolt face. I have no idea what cartridges can be used with this bolt face i will be using this for hunting and target shooting at 1000+ yards. I have a 308 win but i would like something a lot hotter either in 30 cal or 338 cal. I really like the lazzeroni cartridges but i just don't kwow much about them or if they would even work in my action. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Re: Long Range Cartridges

I would be just as easy to screw on a 338 Edge barrel. Then you'd be at the top of the long range pile. At least as far as a regular magnum bolt face goes.

Forget the Lazzeroni stuff. Brass is way too expensive and you have the wrong bolt face. They use the same size as Lapua/Weatherby.

lazzeroni stuff is absolutly unneccessary.

30 cal-
300 win mag
300 WSM
300 RUM

338 cal-
338 lapua
338 edge
338 RUM

7mm cal-
7WSM
7 Rem Mag

I would go with the 338 lapua. Great brass and great bullets. You can go with the 338 edge and save about half on brass but then you would have to form and fool around with all that stuff. Since you have a savage you can change that bolt face pretty easy. Good luck

7mm wsm on the long action. You can seat out the Bergers to chase the lands.

Like many suggested above, 300 WM gets another vote from me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kirk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the 300WM, you cant go wrong there. Put some 210-220gr pills around (or above) 3000 fps and watch magic happen.

Kirk R </div></div>

+1 but I would stick with the 208-210 bullet weights. More velocity and better BCs.

i appreciate all the input would the 338 edge work with my bolt face?

The 300WM has a .532" bolt face. The 338 Edge is based on the 338RUM which has a rebated rim diameter of .534". Should be able to opened up by a gunsmith or Savage may even have a bolt head in that size.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300WM has a .532" bolt face. The 338 Edge is based on the 338RUM which has a rebated rim diameter of .534". Should be able to opened up by a gunsmith or Savage may even have a bolt head in that size. </div></div>

no smithing necc. it will fit just screw on a new tube and your ready to rock.