• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

long range custom build

longranger300

Private
Minuteman
Sep 13, 2012
could really use some feedback for a custom gun i'm building for 1000-1300yds. This is a gun i want to compete with and possibly use for long range hunting

remington 700LA receiver
300 win mag
hart or kreiger 28" bull barrel 1:10 twist
jewel trigger set 10-16 oz
vortex razor HD scope or nightforce if i can afford it
I wanna drop it into a chassis either an AICS AX, a whiskey 3, JP enterprises, or something similar.

ANY AND ALL FEEDBACK IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!! this is my first all out custom build and i wanna get it right so if anybody knows of a better barrel or chassis system id love to hear it!

Re: long range custom build

Looks good to me and im a weatherby fan. The only thing i would suggest is a change in caliber. The 300 rum or 338 edge/lapua would give a bigger bullet and better velocity.

The 300 WinMag would do the job, If it was me I would shoot the heavier bullets (200-210gr). There are better calibers such as the 338, but the 300 WinMag will do the job.

tell me more about the heavier bullet?
I too have a 700 SS 5R BP and the guy I bought it from raved about how the rifle is a 1/2 moa shooter with 210 Bergers.
I am new to this all and dont even know what Bergers is.
I too am looking for very long range shots. I have NOT shot this gun yet or bought ammo for it or sighted it in with the new scope yet, thanks, mike

i would have very much so preferred to build a .338 lapua or a 30-375 weatherby but the standard 700 LA receiver is too short to accommodate the cartridge. if this gun goes the way that i plan i will be buying a mcmillan action to build a 338 off of off of. i plan to use berger bullets for practice and zeroing but will be using Cutting Edge bullets for competition. i was thinking that i would be shooting either 220 or 180 gr bullets to help resist the effects of the wind

Welcome!

If you want the 338 or other that won't fit the 700 LA, then get a bigger action. If you are building a custom gun, build exactly what you want the first time. Don't compromise or you will end up eventually doing it right the second time.. but having spent twice the $$. Just my .02

Edit: To add, don't rush your project b/c you got THE BUG. Take your time to think it out, do your research, know EXACTLY what you want, then put the plan into action. Don't start out with the end result already finalized based on predetermined factors. Also, if you can't get the right glass, the build is pretty worthless. You have to see it to hit it.

I would go with the .338 Edge over the .338 Lapua, Almost identical ballistics and less than half the cost to shoot. A no brainier in my opinion. Just my .02 though.

hey while we are on this subject, let me ask a dumb question as I am a newbie to bolt guns and calibers.
The 300 Winmag is common. I've also seen ammo available for the 300 winmag SHORT. I understand this allows for a short action but dont know why that is good or important.
And are the ballistics the same, why dont more people consider this choice also when building a rifle?

mike

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.Williams</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with the .338 Edge over the .338 Lapua, Almost identical ballistics and less than half the cost to shoot. A no brainier in my opinion. Just my .02 though. </div></div>

Can you explain this please?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dyna962007</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hey while we are on this subject, let me ask a dumb question as I am a newbie to bolt guns and calibers.
The 300 Winmag is common. I've also seen ammo available for the 300 winmag SHORT. I understand this allows for a short action but dont know why that is good or important.
And are the ballistics the same, why dont more people consider this choice also when building a rifle?

mike</div></div>

Search 300WM vs 300WSM.

thanks great advice, ive been researching and planning the 300WM for about 8 months now and estimate it will be another 8-10 until it is finished. I plan on buying a McMillan action to build my next 3 off of but I wanted the 300WM on the 700 action as well because the easily available and relatively cheap costs for reloading and to use it as a "trainer/crossover" from hunting guns to the tactical style larger calibers i have planned. this is the first and smallest caliber rifle of my currently 4 planned in 300WM, 338LM, 408cheytec, and 50BMG. all rifles will have very similar stocks and exact same scope mounted as well to help have same feel.

ballistics are nearly identical with the WSM having just a little bit higher velocity, energy, efficiency, and my opinion a little less recoil. I have both cartridges and i like the 300WSM but ammo and brass is slightly more expensive and i have seen no noticeable accuracy improvements myself but the WSM does shoot flatter. the 300WSM is relatively new developed in 2001 VS the 300 WM developed 1963 and as a result not as "tried and true" as the old 300WM. also some old school shooters do not trust the cartridge reliability/safety because it is a non banded magnum although modern advancements make it unnecessary to belt new magnums. Handloaders that originally tried to load the cartridge (myself included) could not duplicate the velocity of the factory ammo originally without overloading or sacrificing accuracy because the powder was proprietary and not available until a few years ago which gave the round a bad rep in some circles but with the new powders available you are able to get higher velocities and performance than factory ammo. it is mainly preference and old school VS new school because both are great rounds.
As a side note: I sell guns full time and have seen a lot more 300 WSM's selling than a 300 win mag lately, i predict in coming years you will see a lot more of the WSM family and hopefully a .338WSM someday.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longranger300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks great advice, ive been researching and planning the 300WM for about 8 months now and estimate it will be another 8-10 until it is finished. I plan on buying a McMillan action to build my next 3 off of but I wanted the 300WM on the 700 action as well because the easily available and relatively cheap costs for reloading and to use it as a "trainer/crossover" from hunting guns to the tactical style larger calibers i have planned. this is the first and smallest caliber rifle of my currently 4 planned in 300WM, 338LM, 408cheytec, and 50BMG. all rifles will have very similar stocks and exact same scope mounted as well to help have same feel. </div></div>

Sure do like your dreams, ambitions!!
So what are you building, a 16lb tactical hunting rig?
If you are going to hunt with it, build the WM.
If you are going to target shoot, build the WSM. Either burn your powder in the case, or the barrel, your choice.
And why the heavy 30 cal, when 6.5's and 7's are getting people to 1300 yards with ease?

And for the .338 WSM, it is out there, based off the .325 WSM.
Good Luck.

let me ask you something, sounds like you are pretty knowledgeable.
I'm getting ready to start sourcing ammo for my new 700 Winmag
SS 5R mil spec BP.
I am told by the previous owner that it likes handloaded Berger 210 grain VLD ammo and that its a 1/2 moa shooter with it.
So I found a local guy who is a licensed reloader and has a great rep to load me some once we find someone who has the 210's in stock (not easy).
This way I can get a consistant load from him each time I get ammo but honestly Im in the dark on this, I dont know how to tell him to load the ammo, which powder how much powder, etc etc.
I guess he will know that by using standard kinds of charts or whatever.
It also seems from reading the HSM site (the only commercial company that makes a round using 210 Berger)that the ballistics of this round is awesome and a real knock down pro so it seems like the best of all worlds for sighting in with, and using for actual tactical long range potential sniper shots.
YOur thoughts? Mike

Check the reloading section, there is tons of load data for the 300WM. There are several site sponsors that also do custom load development, make sure to check out the Vendor section.
Cheers

ok thanks, all good info but I have to tell you that information on the 210 grain Beger is very very limited. mike

Hey have a 300 win mag SS 5R I have not shot 210 Bergers but mine loves 208 Amaxes with 66 grains of H4831 SC wich is a mid range powder load They shot just as well at max load, I can send more specific data but they seem to like jammed .010 into the lands. The 207 amaxs are also a good bit cheaper. PM me if you want more specific data (IE; primers, cases, etc)

longranger, I just assembled my custom rig, really similar to what you are after, last week & took her out yesterday. Factory Rem700 long action, trued & blueprinted, 29" Rock5R 1-10 twist stainless fluted AMU/MTU contour, McMillan A3 stock, Leupy VXIII LR 6.5-20x40 with M1 knobs. The chamber was cut to accommodate 230gr Bergers seated to 3.725"oal, mag length. Just did a ladder test with the 230's using RL33. I reached the recommended published max of 79.6gr , doing 2753fps. 77gr of Retumbo got me to 2873fps, no pressure signs on either load. +1 on taking your time & knowing exactly what you want. There is no substitute for putting in your time for research & development when shooting at the distances these rifles are capable of.

yeah the 300 is gonna be a multi purpose rig weighing about 16 lbs primarily for target/tactical but plan to use it for some long range hunting as well. i know the 6.5x284 is a great cartridge for long range but i like .30 cal and the 300WM aint gonna burn out the barrel nearly as fast as the 6.5x284 or the 7mm STW. and thanks for the heads up about the 338WSM might add a SA rig around that chamber to the list

DYNA you might also want to look into another source for ammo as well. TROP GUN SHOP does custom handloaded ammo built to your specs and does custom load development. the guy that does the loading is nat recognized and consults for barnes. he is a good guy and has helped me out on a few occasions developing loads, also they have a pretty good selection of berger and cutting edge bullets, they might have them in stock.
just my .02 tho good luck