• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Long Range Houston

Akshay

Edgar's A Good Boy
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2017
Houston, TX
Im new to the north Houston area, was wondering if any locals here know of any good long range spots in the area?

The only one i know of is american shooting center on the west side.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

As far as I know that is all you have, I am not a big fan of "ASC", the people that work the range have rubbed me the wrong way too many times. I usually drive from Sugar Land to Elcampo for shooting ( private). If you find anything that isn't that place please PM me, I would love to have the option to go out to distance that doesn't involve a 1-2 hour drive.

CCC shooting complex in navasota. it's expensive though.
ASC is my home range and I actually really like it- i don't understand public opinion on it being poor? up to 600 yd range

ASC is my home range and I actually really like it- i don't understand public opinion on it being poor? up to 600 yd range
Never been there but will go on a limb to guess "range nazis"?

Hey, Akshay. The Blackwood Shooting Center on FM 2854 west of Conroe has plans to put in a 500 yd. range. Check with them. That's also a good place to get components, from San Jacinto Shooters Supply/Kurt. I think they're both on Facebook.

They are range nazis on the shorter ranges, but the 200+ is self monitored with an RO driving the line maybe once an hour. I'd love something longer to stretch out my 338 lapua, but as of right now, everything that'd be good for is a 3 hour drive.

Meyers and pesek, Ive experienced the same thing there. at the 100 and under areas they can be a pain but usually if you look like you have any sense they leave you alone. Im just hoping to find something with up to 1000 or at least someplace with 600 and more steel... Im spoiled by thunder valley.

I saw a website for a 1000 yeah range off of 288. bayou rifle club, 600 and 1000 yd with competitions. Anyone been out there? Maybe affected by the flooding?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Hey, Akshay. The Blackwood Shooting Center on FM 2854 west of Conroe has plans to put in a 500 yd. range. Check with them. That's also a good place to get components, from San Jacinto Shooters Supply/Kurt. I think they're both on Facebook.

I am also new to the N. Houston area, and struggling with the same limitations as everyone else. I've been going to Blackwood Shooting Center, and shooting on their 200 yard range. There's one range officer that is kinda a knucklehead, but other than that it's a nice facility run by good folks. I'm glad to hear they're adding a 500 yard range, I am really looking forward to that! Their sporting clays course is nice too.

I've also visited ASC a few times. The experience on the 100 yard line is just about like anywhere else on a public range... range officers are usually okay, but there always seems to be a guy with a muzzle-brake equipped Bushmaster trying to empty a magazine as quick as they can on either side of you. The 200+ side is a lot more pleasant though. Usually don't have any knuckleheads out there, and it's self-regulated. It's not too bad for the only public option available.

I saw a website for a 1000 yeah range off of 288. bayou rifle club, 600 and 1000 yd with competitions. Anyone been out there? Maybe affected by the flooding?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I Believe its members only (not currently accepting new members)

You can shoot in the matches at Bayou Rifles, which are just about every week. Some weeks 300 yd, 600 yd, or 1,000 yds. You do not have to be a member to shoot in those matches. You have to be an NRA member, IIRC, and the fee is higher, about $20 for a 66-shot match with sighters at each phase. Bayou Rifles was not shut down by Harvey. Their pistol/.22 range off I-10 flooded, and probably is still flooded. More info on their website. No muzzle brakes at Bayou Rifles matches, and all shooting is prone from a mat. If your shooting setup violates the F-class rules, you can still shoot, as long as you are safe, and just be disqualified from any awards. It's good to have a 20-power or higher spotting scope. Coaching is allowed for first-time shooters, and somebody shooting at the match can coach anyone who needs it. Bring plenty of water, food, anything else you need to survive 6-7 hrs. at the range. Porta-potties are on the line and in the pits. They have flags; you cannot deploy your own flags downrange from the firing line. E-mail the Bayou Rifles contact person for other info or questions. You will have a good time.

Last edited:
Bayou rifle club does go out to 1000 yards, yes... but be warned they have no steel what so ever to shoot with a high powered rifle. And I was told you couldn’t bring your own. I haven’t thought about them since.

ASC is a good range to true up a rifle, but there are few days you’ll experience new wind variables... it’s a great range for beginning your journey.

And yes. Range officers think they’re special.

CCC is a great facility to shoot the Texas precision rifle club matches at. But you’ll have to pay out the ass to shoot there any other day. I’ve got other things $800 a year can go towards.