• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range hunting advice

I get what both of you are trying to say here. I'm in the camp of shoot big game with what ever you shoot the best (within reason, not saying use a .22lr). Absolutely a 300wm pushing a 215 is going to transfer more energy than say a 6.5cm pushing a 140 at the same distance. But if you can't put the 215 where you want it... then that energy doesn't mean a thing.

I'm not saying your are implying this, but I don't believe in using bigger calibers to account for bad shots, and I know some simple minded folks who think that way... I don't hunt with them.

At no point I suggested anything would compensate a bad shot. Instead that the bullet speed could make a difference in how far the animal runs before it dies.
Now most calibers we discuss here, within the range where good hit is certain, will cause enough damage to make the kill.

I just think it's irresponsible to go around claiming any caliber will do the job within reasonable range because someone will pick up slightly too light gun and shoot slightly too far and watch the elk run and never see it again. Especially combined with Burger marketing their weak ass match bullets as good for hunting.

I mostly hunt moose with dogs so it's mostly logistic issue if the moose runs few miles into woods after gut shot, it will be recovered. Not that it would be taken lightly but may the one who has never taken a bad shot cast the first stone..

Ok, you win.
BTW, how many critters over 700 pounds have your shot?
Thought so, now fuck off.