• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Long Range illuminators

28982384.jpg

I like mine.

Reactions: Chevoke
Luna is the easiest and cheapest to get. Buy some m3x.5 thumbscrews to replace the allen adjustments and you can fine tune the illuminated area with ease.

Luna is the easiest and cheapest to get. Buy some m3x.5 thumbscrews to replace the allen adjustments and you can fine tune the illuminated area with ease.
I agree the hex head screws that come with the Luna are not the easiest nut to deal with in the dark. What thread count wing nut should I look for off the shelf?
Thank you in advance

The filter makes it eyesafe. The only eyesafe laser that doesn't blow is the BE Meyers MAWL, IMHO.

Sirius XLT is a new style of laser illuminator widely used in Europe. It surpasses the Luna in that it is brighter, cleaner light for half the cost. It does have the red glow like other high power illuminators.

Sirius XLT is a new style of laser illuminator widely used in Europe. It surpasses the Luna in that it is brighter, cleaner light for half the cost. It does have the red glow like other high power illuminators.
Couldn't find the power output spec on that rig. Can you tell us more about it?

I went out with the perst 3 tonight, I could see the laser from well over 1 mile away.... on an adjacent mountain

Reactions: TACC
I went out with the perst 3 tonight, I could see the laser from well over 1 mile away.... on an adjacent mountain

Good to hear, but are you referring to the laser illuminator or the laser aimer? I am trying to figure out about how far out the laser illuminator will provide USEFUL illumination.

Good to hear, but are you referring to the laser illuminator or the laser aimer? I am trying to figure out about how far out the laser illuminator will provide USEFUL illumination.
The perst 3 illuminator is listed at 500mw and it's pretty clean from the pictures and descriptions I've read. It sounds like it should be the top dog for a long range ir illuminator. The elevation and windage adjustment looks a little wonky though.

Paging @TNVC_Augee, or anyone else who is familiar with the laws. Is it legal for a civilian in the US to own a class 3 IR laser? Are they legal to import? The Sirius XTL appears to be a great option for a hunting rig, but the laws surrounding the ownership and importation seem to be fuzzy depending on who you talk to. I was told that it was legal to own one, just not legal to sell one in the states, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

that would depend on your nvg setup, obviously pvs 14s or duals will be less than a rifle scope

Perst 3 illuminator visible distance, 600-800 meters depending on conditions. With PVS 14
Perst 3 IR laser visible distance, infinite, star toucher

Does the Perst 3 Illuminator have a visible glow like a Led illuminator?

I have a TNVC MKII Torch Pro it won't get you to 800 yards more like 400 but this will do 800 I have a SPIR IR as well it's like having a bat signal. Expensive but it's probably the only thing out there at least that I'm aware of that'll get you to 800 yards regardless of conditions, moon phase, or target background as those all come heavily into play as well.

I love my torch for 300 BLK up close (300 ish yards). It lights up well but is not a laser so you have splash in heavy woods. I can’t shoot the distance the Luna ELIR-3 can light up. Going to try the recommended screws mentioned above.

I ordered one and agree...its a badass ir light. Flood it or focus the beam tight, very clean.
20190920_204040.jpg

Trees are about 1200 yds and the beam is between flood and focused

Last edited:
Does the Sirius have any type of power control?

Any one have one side by side with an unfiltered Luna?

Where are you guys ordering from? (Message me if you don't want to post)

Thanks

The Sirius has a flood to spot adjustment and one power setting. There’s a group on Facebook called irlightbuilds iirc. He’s the owner.

Reactions: Nate O.
Does the Sirius have any type of power control?

Any one have one side by side with an unfiltered Luna?

Where are you guys ordering from? (Message me if you don't want to post)

Thanks
I sold my Luna long ago. It did not perform as well as this Sirius does.

Reactions: McNamara0851
I have three of the SHV’s in 4-14x50 F1 Mil-R and I think they have good glass for the money. The turrets aren’t anything special. Feel mushy compared to an NXS or ATACR but I still think they are a good value.

Solarus SRX can be purchased with a variable power tail cap that really works. You dial for the power setting and can still use the push button or seperate remote at the same time for on/off. It also has a red led that lights up when on, not to bright but noticeable to operator. Best designed IR I have seen. Brightness is very , very close to the Sirius. I bought four competing models and this is the one on my long range setup. I will probably be buying a second one for a D-790 too.

Reactions: McNamara0851
The Sirius has a flood to spot adjustment and one power setting. There’s a group on Facebook called irlightbuilds iirc. He’s the owner.
McNamara0851, as far as I know they are controlled by the FDA. Companies dont sell to individuals. Legal to own if you have one, no real repair service for those on the market like the peq's. As for importing, I suppose if you brought one back yourself. Would the Sirius xlt be coonsidered class 3
Paging @TNVC_Augee, or anyone else who is familiar with the laws. Is it legal for a civilian in the US to own a class 3 IR laser? Are they legal to import? The Sirius XTL appears to be a great option for a hunting rig, but the laws surrounding the ownership and importation seem to be fuzzy depending on who you talk to. I was told that it was legal to own one, just not legal to sell one in the states, which makes absolutely no sense to me.

McNamara0851, as far as I know they are controlled by the FDA. Companies dont sell to individuals. Legal to own if you have one, no real repair service for those on the market like the peq's. As for importing, I suppose if you brought one back yourself. Would the Sirius xlt be coonsidered class 3.

For an illuminator you might want to look at the Modlite IR-850 Head if distance is what you seek
This^^^^ These things are light sabers. It is essentially the IR version of their OKW. I have every Modlite head available, including both the IR-850 and IR-940 and the 850 like using my MAWL on full power. And yes, it is legal to own a class III laser as a civilian, you just won't be able to get it serviced on your own if something happens to it.

Reactions: WT1
Does the Perst 3 Illuminator have a visible glow like a Led illuminator?
Yes, all IR illuminators have a visible signature of some sort. LEDs are just worse and seen at wider angles and the reflectors make the spot larger in size.

This^^^^ These things are light sabers. It is essentially the IR version of their OKW. I have every Modlite head available, including both the IR-850 and IR-940 and the 850 like using my MAWL on full power. And yes, it is legal to own a class III laser as a civilian, you just won't be able to get it serviced on your own if something happens to it.
The Modlight 850 does not work as far as the Luna ELIR3 with filter removed because of excess spill dimming your NV. The illuminator on a PERST3 smokes the ELIR3 and MAWL. PERST units are the best illuminators out there at the moment if range is what you desire.

What are you guys using for long range illumination? I am looking and a tnvc torch, looking for 800+ yards.
I gotta ask... what are you doing with an IR illuminator past 800 yards? Because I know it is not shooting things. At least not outside of your imagination.

I gotta ask... what are you doing with an IR illuminator past 800 yards? Because I know it is not shooting things. At least not outside of your imagination.

Past 2000m, and yes, I'm shooting things. What else would I do with it? You need the long range illuminators for PVS30 and shit like that.

IMG_0881.JPG

Most of what I hunt looks like this, so the further the detection range the better. I was getting 1st round impacts on steel out to 790y a few weeks ago with no moon. Practicing at long range builds a lot of confidence for those times you want to shoot a coyote that’s not sitting in your lap. Hence the need for a LR Illuminator.

Attachments

• EC06008E-6A1E-4568-8242-0A969D5F3C53.jpeg
    EC06008E-6A1E-4568-8242-0A969D5F3C53.jpeg
    481.9 KB · Views: 71
Reactions: farmer103
@Dev L If you don’t mind me asking, what do you do with your MAWLs and PERSTs etc?

Last edited:
The Modlight 850 does not work as far as the Luna ELIR3 with filter removed because of excess spill dimming your NV. The illuminator on a PERST3 smokes the ELIR3 and MAWL. PERST units are the best illuminators out there at the moment if range is what you desire.

Ah good information, haven't tried that combo. Everything I've seen about the PERST is positive, might be time to get one for T&E.