• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range near Fort Bragg, North Carolina???

gunlove

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
Ft. Campbell, KY
I need a good local Long Range option near Fort Bragg.
I am looking for a local practice range as well as drivable Long Range or Tactical Competitions.
Are there any good places to look online or key words to search for?

Re: Long Range near Fort Bragg, North Carolina???

Have you checked Camp Butner, north or Raleigh Durham area. I had a friend that shot 1000 yd. matches there several years back. If you're up to a about a two hour drive to Camp Lejeune, they have long range matches there all the time; http://coastalcarolinarifleclub.com hope this helps!

I'm pretty sure there's one near Angier, just north of Bragg, shouldn't be to far. Never been there so not sure about the address but there is a range in that area. I just did a google for rifle range near angier nc and came up with several. I know a guy that shoots at the one near Angier and it's supposed to be pretty nice, it'll probably be pretty hard to find a local range that goes past 2-3 hundred yds.

BHE,

When are the dates for the DM?

Are there any ranges near Goldsboro/Kinston that have steel beyond 500 yards that can be shot from a bench?

Welcome to the area!!! We have a strong growing long range tactical community. John's JST match this month is a must and not a bad ride as is Woody's DSM match.

Look forward to shooting with you

Semper Fi

i have had people from bragg tell me there is a range ON base that is open on the weekends, can anyone shed light on this? and if so which range is it...

The only one I know of is McKellars and it only goes out to 100 yards.

Mckeller's is a good range but the prone positions is prohibited... go figure. Yes, it goes out to 100 yards.
I am headed to the 3-Gun Match at Cross Creek on Sunday. Cross Creak has a 300 yard private club range.

bumer, the guy i was talking to made it sound like it had some distance to it...

Range 1 is now range 37 (google maps: http://tiny.cc/1e5o6). They have a 50m, 100m, 300m and ~700m ranges, some bays to shoot scenarios in, and a shoot-house. Their pricing starts at $20 per day, with different membership options (http://www.range37.com/range-rules-fees). I've shot there once on a weekend, and found it a little crowded, especially if you're paying $20/day or ~$300 a year. I usually shoot at McKellar's on Bragg, but I'd like to find a place to shoot past 100m.
gunlove, what did you think of crosse creek? I've heard of them, but haven't been there to check it out.

Range 37 only goes out to 100 yards; and the 100 yard is not set up for prone or bench rifle. It has an over waist high pistol type bench all the way across the shooting line. The longer range stuff is off site. The deal they were explaining about this off-site range was sketchy at best.

The Cross Creak match went well!! It was a small 3-gun match, 9 people. Perfect for me (first match) and I’m going again this month. They have quite a few different kinds of monthly matches. The range facilities are excellent. There is only one catch: you must be a member. From what I can tell it takes a few months of competing in the matches to get invited by a member to join.
*The matches don't require you to become a memeber and I definitely recommend them!
http://crossecreekrifleandpistolclub.com/

I am fairly disappointed that the largest army post, home of the 82nd light infantry, special forces, and delta force doesn’t even have a good 100 yard rifle range within driving distance!!!

I've tried range 37s 100m range. I shot pistol, then rifle from the prone, laying under the bench. I've also looked at their off-site ranges; it's about a 5 min drive from their main location. I agree that it sounds a little sketchy - the land is leased from Anderson Creek hunting preserve, and doesn't really belong to range 37. The 700m range looks like an old pasture, and the 300m range is down a fire break in the woods. They also charge an extra fee to use the two off-site ranges, on top of the yearly membership. I think I'd rather buy more ammo and shoot elsewhere.
When I lived in Georgia, I used to shoot at a public range on Dept. of Forestry land, at a National Park. The range was maintained by the Forest Service, there was no range fee, and really not too many restrictions. I think the Pisgah National Forest has stuff like that too, but haven't heard of anything close to Fort Bragg, like in the Uwharrie. Has anyone else?
I've never done competition shooting - is 3-gun a good place to start at Crosse Creek?

Shooting around Fort Benning, was outstanding! The Fort Benning Rifle and Pistol Club on post at Shelton Range was 2 mins from my house, had great hours, and up to 500 yards. Huskey's 1000 yard range in Opelika was only 45 mins away!

Back to Fayetteville:
Good RECON of the range. I didn't see it myself only heard about it and how it was 300 more dollars a year or something...
3-Gun is fun! All you need is a handgun, 3+ magazines, and Ar-15, and a shotgun. I say only but relative to other match shooting they are not super specialized super expensive guns. The only really special thing is an extended shotgun mag is really needed. Crosse Creek is definitely a great place to start.

Yep, Shelton was great. I shot there most of the time, super-convenient. About the only drawback was that you could no longer shoot steel starting in 2010, I think. That's being picky though - again, great range. I've never been to Huskey's - and I was looking for a long-distance range too.

For anyone else in GA, the Georgia Parks range I used to go to, called Hannahatchee WMA Range, is located here: http://g.co/maps/mj7rg. Not a super long one, but not crowded, free, and you can shoot steel if you want. More details here: http://www.georgiawildlife.org/node/920

Thank you for the heads up on Crosse Creek, I'll have to check it out one of these weekends. If you manage to find a long-distance range around Ft. Bragg, please post!

Make your way up to Ft Campbell, they have some decent long ranges.

campbell has a nice mwr range out to 736m last time i was there. steel from 300 on out. range 16 i think?? anyway hopefully more people will chime in about bragg.
i have 300m, but thats nothing. i want 1000!

There used to be a 100yd free public range down in Uwharrie Natl. Forest. I used to go camping/shooting there a lot since it was well within the 82nd's 2hr/100mile no pass limit.

Beyond that your best bet it getting friendly with the farmers in the area.

If you get a chance definitely get up there and shoot with J.Boyette. He has a great setup up there.

the range at uwharrie NF is closed indefinately, I was just out there last weekend.

Too bad about the Uwharrie range; I think I'm going to try to get out to Camp Butner sometime in Oct. I only have dope to 500m on my rifle now, so I hope I can figure out a way to use the range. I took a gander at J Boyette's website; looks like there are open days in Oct, but I don't know if I'm ready for a class yet.

North State Shooting Club is having a practice day on Sept 30th after 12pm at Butner. That's where I usually tag along when I need to re-evaluate my dope. They're a pretty friendly bunch and we take turns shooting the 600yd and 1000yd. It's quite amazing how well they shoot their palma rifles, with only a sling and iron sights. One of the guy there could consistently shoot within the 10 point ring at 1000yds, something I with a harris bipod and a 20x SWFA SS can not.
I think the range fee is $5 or $10 plus some tips for the range boy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: climb to glory</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I took a gander at J Boyette's website; looks like there are open days in Oct, but I don't know if I'm ready for a class yet.</div></div>

Absolutely try to make it to one of John's classes. He's a stand up guy and his classes are second to none!!

Cool, thanks for the info! I will take a look at North State Shooting Club's website for other open days. Don't think I can make up there on Friday, I live all the way in Harnnett, by Cumberland county.