• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Near Houston,TX

PRSDietitian

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2023
Texas
So I moved to League City, just south of houston at the end of last year. Just recently building a new rifle to get back into long range shooting.

For any members in the area or familiar with the area, what ranges do ya'll recommend? I know there's CCC in navasota but that's almost 2hrs from me. I know there's Bayou Rifle Club but there's a wait list and they seem super picky.

I live in Pearland/Manvel and I go to CCC, just about every week. Thats about the same drive you would have to make. Bayou is nice and close and they are under new leadership so they are trying to change some things around for new and existing members. I stopped being a member there since all the old farts there was just ruining it for everyone else, and I live like 10 minutes away.

The Ranch TX in Eagle Lake. I’m a member there. I believe there’s a LONG wait list but while waiting to be a full member you can shoot during the week. The ranges are on a reservation system.

I live in Pearland/Manvel and I go to CCC, just about every week. Thats about the same drive you would have to make. Bayou is nice and close and they are under new leadership so they are trying to change some things around for new and existing members. I stopped being a member there since all the old farts there was just ruining it for everyone else, and I live like 10 minutes away.
Well, thank you both! I am going to start doing some load development once my 6x47 is finished. So obviously, I want to try to find a place where I can do that, but also verify at distance. Just for the fun of it, I’m going to try the Texas plinking 1 moa challenge to test out the new rifle, so I want to be able to at least get some load development time in

Reactions: 021411
The Ranch TX in Eagle Lake. I’m a member there. I believe there’s a LONG wait list but while waiting to be a full member you can shoot during the week. The ranges are on a reservation system.
And unfortunately, since I’m a clinical dietitian, it’s really hard for me to make time during the week to go shoot

Yeah, you are on the wrong side of Houston for CCC to be "convenient" but I did a bit of google and Clear Creek Gun Range has 1 and 200 yard rifle ranges real close to you and it doesnt look to be too expensive either.
I bet you could do the real development there and true it up in navasota.

Most places wouldnt let you walk a target board out 600 yards for development on their most likely steel range so just verifying is really all most can do with out access to a private place.

Reactions: PRSDietitian
Yeah, you are on the wrong side of Houston for CCC to be "convenient" but I did a bit of google and Clear Creek Gun Range has 1 and 200 yard rifle ranges real close to you and it doesnt look to be too expensive either.
I bet you could do the real development there and true it up in navasota.

Most places wouldnt let you walk a target board out 600 yards for development on their most likely steel range so just verifying is really all most can do with out access to a private place.
Dude, thank you so much! I really appreciate that. I plan on going to Navasota probably like once a month or every other weekend. When I first moved here, I was looking into Eagle Lake but if I remember correctly, the membership dues are a little steep.

Dude, thank you so much! I really appreciate that. I plan on going to Navasota probably like once a month or every other weekend. When I first moved here, I was looking into Eagle Lake but if I remember correctly, the membership dues are a little steep.
Steep for sure but the pros outweigh the cons. Other than private property I don’t know of any other range that is 24/7 and has a member’s lodge. I’ve gone and doped out my rifle at night.

If you want to really stretch out there and want some professional coaching, reach out to Chase Stroud at Pumps Precision Rifle Training.

Also make sure to go to Rifles Only and do a course. I would do that first, then do ELR type training with Chase.

Just moved to Western side of Houston and looking for a range, I liked The Ranch's unknown distance but I don't know if I 1.2k a year like it. CCC looks like fixed ranges but also at a pretty steep cost.

American Shooting Centers I guess is an option but its a meh range.

Guess im picky.

Just moved to Western side of Houston and looking for a range, I liked The Ranch's unknown distance but I don't know if I 1.2k a year like it. CCC looks like fixed ranges but also at a pretty steep cost.

American Shooting Centers I guess is an option but its a meh range.

Guess im picky.

It's been a few years since I've lived in Houston.

I'm not familiar with 'The Ranch'. Tried ASC for a bit, but it's not optimal. CCC is quite a great range/facility, but it's a drive. It was $600/year I think years ago when I was a member, it was definitely worth it.

Bayou Rifle Club but there's a wait list and they seem super picky.

Yeah, it's been tough to get into Bayou Rifles for the last 10 or so years, not long before that there was no waiting list.

Back when the "old guys" ran things it was an open sign up for a limited number of slots on a first come first serve basis. Once you got on that list you were in ... no quiz, no "application", no secret vote, no bullshit ... just show up for orientation which was basically pay your money and agree to follow the single page of rules.

Things were different under the old guys and the new guys have made some improvements but not everything is "better".

Membership is $200/yr, up from ~$130 when I joined a dozen or so years ago.

Maybe find someone near you who is a member and go as their guest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3850remhep
Ditto to the above for Bayou Rifles. I was a member from 30 through 15 years ago and let my membership lapse due to family obligations. I rejoined 3 years ago and I'm impressed by the new leadership, improvements to the Juliff Range and overall experience.

I tried American Shooting Center a few times around 25 years ago due only to convenience to where I was living at the time. I've since moved from Sugarland to the Rice University area, and Bayou Rifles is now a no brainer. The population growth south of Houston is staggering. Bayou Rifles has made some acquisitions to insure the Juliff Range perpetuates for perhaps at least the next 20 years.

Given inflation and the improvements and expanded ranges, I find Bayou Rifles a better deal now than when I was first a member.

The membership renewal period is happening now and for the next several weeks, I would think applications will be accepted when the membership base is known. I'm not an officer and no longer a competitor. I do enjoy maintaining proficiency with my assorted firearms.

Reactions: doubloon
Ditto to the above for Bayou Rifles. I was a member from 30 through 15 years ago and let my membership lapse due to family obligations. I rejoined 3 years ago and I'm impressed by the new leadership, improvements to the Juliff Range and overall experience.

I tried American Shooting Center a few times around 25 years ago due only to convenience to where I was living at the time. I've since moved from Sugarland to the Rice University area, and Bayou Rifles is now a no brainer. The population growth south of Houston is staggering. Bayou Rifles has made some acquisitions to insure the Juliff Range perpetuates for perhaps at least the next 20 years.

Given inflation and the improvements and expanded ranges, I find Bayou Rifles a better deal now than when I was first a member.

The membership renewal period is happening now and for the next several weeks, I would think applications will be accepted when the membership base is known. I'm not an officer and no longer a competitor. I do enjoy maintaining proficiency with my assorted firearms.
How was the wait for membership?

How was the wait for membership?

I don't know how long the wait is currently but the way the system works now under the new guys the wait gets longer every day that goes by without signing up. You can always decline when/if you get the call.

Under the new sign up system they say they try to induct new members once a quarter but I haven't talked to anyone who recently went through the process and how long it took.

Under the old system there was no waiting list. They opened the spigot once or twice a year for people to fill out a form online and when the number of available slots was taken the spigot closed. Everybody who managed to fill out the form was invited to orientation AFAIK.

Reactions: 3850remhep
You can shoot matches without being a member. Sign up and go to the Mid-Range and/or Long-Range match every month, 24 matches a year.

The last few years, the Mid-Range has been 600 during the cooler months, out on a berm, and 300 when it gets hot, under an awning.

The 1000 yard line is under a cover.

The prone matches have been e-targets only for a while too.

Reactions: doubloon