• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors long range precision suppressor advice?

trophy8

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2012
Georgetown Tx
i know this has been asked, and there is another thread below this one, but there is a few questions i have that i have not found answers to.
with that said, here are my requests....

1 acuuracy is key, first shot, through the last. i want the most accurate can possible. no point in buying a can for a 1/2 inch rifle when the can opens it up to 3/4-1"

2 direct thread on or QD? i am leaning strongly towards the direct thread on due to the best seal and more accurate. but i have heard opinions, not facts on if qd cans are any less accurate.

3 price. this also goes back to #2 as i dont want to buy muzzle devices for each intended host.... the cost stacks up quickly, and im a cheap ass. but i also dont want junk.

4 noise suppression.... obviously!! i do not want to give up any suppression for ANYTHING except a LITTLE and i do mean a little accuracy.

i am new to this. this will be my first suppressor. it will spend most of its life on a 300 win mag long range rig. but will also be used on a couple 308s.
I am leaning very heavily towards the thunderbeast 30p-1. but its expensive. the price is fine if it truly is the best on the market, but i dont want to waste a few hundred bucks if i dont have to.

so lets hear from some you long range guys who have used these and if possible lets see some results. thank you in advance!!

1. Thunderbeast, Gemtech, Liberty, SAS, AAC (and there are many more) produce cans that are for designed for accuracy. Everyone will tell you something different about who's best. I think the general consensus on this forum is the Thunderbeast 30p-1.

2. I prefer direct thread because it's less expensive and I'm typically not having to constantly remove and attach my cans. I will always zero my rifle with the suppressor attached the week/day before a match and leave the can attached until the match is over to ensure accuracy.

3. There are no cheap cans that meet your need...usually $800+. The best cans will be lightweight so that they minimize a change in barrel harmonics....typically made of titanium.

4. Most 30cal cans are in the 30db range of reduction....you're not going to buy a $1,000 can that can't take the noise down to hearing-safe levels....

From personal experience, I had a YHM stainless 30cal can....it suppressed the noise well, but it was a heavy SOB at 28oz and changed my un-suppressed POI by about 6in...but still grouped well; accuracy and overall shooting pleasure was increased because of the suppressor.

A Thunderbeast 30p-1 is on order for me now though...

thanks for the reply. like i said, im leaning toward the TBA 30p-1 but i have to do myself the favor of asking for opinions and other options.

I have a TBA 30P-1 Just got my tax stamp sunday and went straight to the range with it. My 6.5 creedmoor assembled by Crescent Customs has been sub half minute for 5 shot groups relatively consistently (with me being the likely culpurit when it isnt) and the 5 round group I shot at 200 with the can attached was .46 moa which is nothing to complain about as far as I am concerend. Sound suppression was quite nice and shooting subsonics out of my .308 was a hoot the sound of the round zing'ing after as it richocheted downrange (I was shooting into the ground relatively close and it was skipping down range after that while i was checking stability) was louder then the gun going off. Overall if I was going to buy another precision can it would be from TBA their Customer service is also awesome!

On a side note I beleive thunderbeast still gives a 15% off coupon to one of their training courses with their cans and as its under a 12 hour drive from you to them it might be another thing to consider all other things being equal.

Let's not forget the new kid on the block. The Mack Bros 30 cal precision can. I have had the chance to handle them and test fire the one I have in pending status with the ATF.
They are very impressive. Same machine shop that makes all of Badger Ordnances parts. The MB-300 is their flagship 30 cal can. George @ GAP sells them and constantly tells me how impressive they are, performance wise.
I would say they give the 30P-1 and 30BA a serious run for its money.

that is good news!!
i will put it on my 308 just for fun with subs :) and to smack some pigs every now and then....

thanks for the input guys!!

I have a TBA 30P-1 Just got my tax stamp sunday and went straight to the range with it. My 6.5 creedmoor assembled by Crescent Customs has been sub half minute for 5 shot groups relatively consistently (with me being the likely culpurit when it isnt) and the 5 round group I shot at 200 with the can attached was .46 moa which is nothing to complain about as far as I am concerend. Sound suppression was quite nice and shooting subsonics out of my .308 was a hoot the sound of the round zing'ing after as it richocheted downrange (I was shooting into the ground relatively close and it was skipping down range after that while i was checking stability) was louder then the gun going off. Overall if I was going to buy another precision can it would be from TBA their Customer service is also awesome!

On a side note I beleive thunderbeast still gives a 15% off coupon to one of their training courses with their cans and as its under a 12 hour drive from you to them it might be another thing to consider all other things being equal.

I am running the 208 Amaxes out of my 700 AAC-SD with a 1-10" 20" barrel and they stabalize just fine down in the 850-900 range so once I get them up to the 1000fps range I would like to be loading them at they should be a lot of fun to shoot.

I ran the numbers and at 800 yards they are hitting like a 9mm at the muzzle thats not half bad although with the ridiculous TOF and drop I dont plan on shooting them that far.

Last edited:
I have the Thunderbeast 30P-1 It works great on my 308 and 260. Go to their web site and read up on their product. I had looked at Gemtech and Shark, but choose Thunderbeast after doing some research.

I currently am running an Ops Inc 3rd Model on both a 308 and a 300WM. The suppressor fits over 4 1/2" of the end of the barrel, threads to 11/16" threads on the muzzle and mates to a 20deg taper at the back. It is an extremely accurate can with sub-moa POI shift between can on/off. When I rebarrel the 308 to a 260 (soon) I will contour the muzzle for the can also.
3rd Model .30 Caliber

Not to hijack the thread. I agree with everything Thrusty said in his response to the OP. I've been looking pretty hard at Thunderbeast, but my gunsmith swears up and down that Shark Suppressors are the absolute best, and he's not trying to sell me one. Has anyone had any experience using the Thunderbeast 338 P-1 on their .308, 300 WSM/Win Mag, or other cartridges that the 30 P-1 is designed for? I'm assuming there is an additional shift in POI due to the added weight (it's 25 ozs instead of 16 ozs). Is there an overly noticeable effect on sound suppression?

the 30p-1 handles up to the 300 win mag. The Shark suppressor you would have to get is the Tigershark at 10 inches long, 25 oz., and $1800 to handle what the TBAC will in 9 inches long, 16 oz., and around $1000.

i have no personal experience with a Shark at all, but what you have to decide is if its worth $800 more than the TBAC 30P-1.

[MENTION=63937]trophy8[/MENTION], the 30P-1 is a great can and will do everything you are looking for. If it were me and I was going to be shooting 300WM most of the time, then I would go for the 338P-1. The 30P-1 does fine on a 300WM but if you want to get the best suppression level you can then the 338P-1 will give you a little more over the 30P-1. Just my .02 and others will may disagree.

thats a good suggestion varmint slayer, but i dont know that the extra performance is worth the extra $$ as its a decent amount. have you compared them? and id have to get thread adapters for several rifles, so thats another added expense.

thats a good suggestion varmint slayer, but i dont know that the extra performance is worth the extra $$ as its a decent amount. have you compared them? and id have to get thread adapters for several rifles, so thats another added expense.

Well the real advantage is that with a 338P-1, you can suppress just about anything you will ever shoot with one can. Also you can order the 338P-1 in a variety of thread pitches so you should be able to find the pitch that works best for you. The level of suppression between the two is probably not super noticeable to the ear but you will want ear protection running a can with any full power load, regardless of caliber.

Well the real advantage is that with a 338P-1, you can suppress just about anything you will ever shoot with one can. Also you can order the 338P-1 in a variety of thread pitches so you should be able to find the pitch that works best for you. The level of suppression between the two is probably not super noticeable to the ear but you will want ear protection running a can with any full power load, regardless of caliber.

i have been told it would take my 300 to hearing safe levels with full power loads. is this not correct? obviously i want it to help with my shooting as far as eliminating blast, felt recoil and noise. and i was not aware that you could order them with different thread pitches. thank you!!

i have been told it would take my 300 to hearing safe levels with full power loads. is this not correct? obviously i want it to help with my shooting as far as eliminating blast, felt recoil and noise. and i was not aware that you could order them with different thread pitches. thank you!!

In certain situations like wide open prairie, the sound may not hurt your ears but damage is still being done. The average supersonic full power rifle load is 150-160 db. Suppressor takes it down roughly 30 which puts you at 120-130 which isn't hearing safe. Put some quality ear protection on that will drop it another 30 db and now we are in the area of little hearing damage. Very common misconception with suppressors is that hearing protection is no longer needed for a day at the range. Not really true but they do greatly reduce blast and concussion. A lot people don't run any ear protection shooting suppressed and that's fine as they can do what's they like but realize that damage is still being done even though your ears may not be ringing at the end of the day.

Zak, i tried to call you guys today. Is there a better number to call than that which is posted in your contact info on your website?

Nope, that's the one (2052). Our office was stretched thin today due to the huge blizzard that prevented some of our staff from getting to work. If you can't get through, just leave a message and we'll call you back ASAP, including after hours. Alternatively, shoot us an email and we can either call you back or answer your question there.

TBAC customer service is hands down the best I have ever dealt with in any capacity. Extremely fast response anytime you need anything or simply have a question.

My 338P-1 is the perfect setup on my 338LM, as well as my custom 260, noise suppression, recoil management and long range repetitive accuracy at its best.
I am around 2100 plus rounds through the 338P-1 today

Thunder Beast does a great job on the suppression and repetitive high accuracy.

Varmit Slayer, you're saying the 338P-1 will give better sound suppression on a 300 WM (so I'm also assuming 300 WSM) than the can that was designed for it, the 30P-1? Seems like it would be the opposite unless the 300 WM was seriously pushing the high end of what the 30P-1 can handle. Zak, I'd like to hear your opinion on that. I have a .338, a .308, and will have a 300 WSM in the next 60 days, and I would prefer to only buy one can to use on all of them, but in reality, the .338 may not stay in the collection for more than a few months. Once I get tired of spending money on the ammo I'll move on to something else. I'm thinking 6.5x47 Lapua or something in that range, and I want to be able to use the same can for it.

Would I be better off sticking with the 30P-1 and just not running the .338 LM suppressed? Obviously the 338P-1 can handle the .308, .260, 6.5 range, but would I get better results on those cartridges with the 30P-1? Zak? I'm assuming the answer is yes.

I'll bring it back to what we say about the 30P-1 and 30BA on the web site,
The 30P-1 [30BA] was designed around .308 for maximum flexibility and is rated up to .300 Winchester Magnum, but it's the ideal suppressor for the most competitive mid-sized cartridges for long-range shooting such as .243 Winchester .260 Remington, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua, 6.5-284 Norma, and 7mm Remington Magnum & WSM.
We have shot the 30P-1/30BA extensively on .300 Win Mag and it is at the top end of cartridges we recommend for use with the 30P-1/30BA. It will not be as quiet as a .308 obviously, but it has good suppression performance. The 338P-1/338BA will almost certainly suppress better because it has a lot more internal volume to deal with the extra 35 grains of powder (after all they were designed for .338LM which typically use 85-95 grains). The downside of the .338 suppressor is obviously more cost, size, and weight. Due to these drawbacks we and the 30P-1/30BA's good performance with .300 Win Mag, we recommend these smaller cans for it. I would not personally want to use a suppressor as large as the 338P-1/338BA on a smaller 6mm - .30 caliber class cartridge just because it's so overkill.

hope this helps

Yes, that does help. Thank you. I just have to decide what it's worth to me to run the .338 LM suppressed. Or how much I want to keep it. Either way, I'll be buying a Thunderbeast can. Thanks again for your help Zak. It's nice to get the end all be all answer directly from the source.

thanks for the reply. like i said, im leaning toward the TBA 30p-1 but i have to do myself the favor of asking for opinions and other options.

30P-1 has impressed me completely. There is no difference in poi from first shot to last on my rifle. Rifle is as accurate if not more so with it on.

Something to consider when adding a can to a "Long range Precision Rifle".
I could be wrong, but the heavier/thicker the barrel the better... maybe even a shorter barrel will retain stiffness which will keep better accuracy compared to longer barrels.
I have a AAC SDN6 at the end of my GAP "Rock" in .308 (non-fluted) bull barrel and can shoot less that 1/2 MOA at a hundred yards.

Stiffness will help reduce POI shift but should not affect accuracy with the can on, unless you hit a weird "node", and as long as we are talking reasonable precision rifle contours and top-shelf barrel makers. A bunch of our barrels are medium Palma and shoot awesome with or without the can.

I agree with you Zak.
I just wonder when I hear that QD (especially SDN6's) suppressors are not as accurate. There is no doubt that direct thread on cans are probably the best way to go for accuracy on precision rifles, but with the rifle I have with and without the can (SDN6) on it will shoot less than a 1/2 MOA...
I guess what I'm trying to point out and say is there are a ton of things to consider (barrel length and contour, and the affects of rising temps on it, ammo, etc.) hanging extra weight on the end of a barrel.
QD's do suck ass though... trying to clean the muzzle device is a b*tch, lol! I do love my AAC SDN6... but my next build will have a Thunderbeast at the end of it's barrel :)

I e been mulling over a suppressor for my 308s. Thanks to everyone on this thread I believe I see a Thunderbeast in my future. I am going to have to get the barrels on two 308s threaded. They are both factory Remington barrels but the one on my SPS tactical shoots .75 Moa with cheap rem ammo and I really dont want replace them. Will there be any issues with using the factory barrels as long as I have them threaded by a good smith?

I would go for a QD can. I have been using the Surefire 762K for several years now and my groups are tighter with the can on. Not as quite as the my buddies AWC screw on can but more versatile. I use it on 2 Rem 700 in .308 and 300 WM. Several AR Platforms .308, .260 rem, 6.8 SPC, .300 BO and 5.56. If your going to spend your time and money to go the NFA route. Make it worth your wild. Also having a can you can use on multiple platforms make the wait for the second screw on can a lot easier.

I will soon be ordering a .30 cal can to run on multiple platforms indefinitely until I work up to having dedicated suppressors. It will run on 308, 300 BLK, 5.56, & 22-250. For swapping between all those barrels I would prefer a QD as opposed to threading on and off all those threads for who knows now many times. I think QD mounts would be the more reliable way to go. How ever, I have seen a lot that thread on cans are more accurate. But I also see sub 1/2 moa with QD cans. :confused: So what real world accuracy difference is there, if any? What I do know is that I will be going with a TBAC because they seem to be the best, and are in state. I may just go right through them. ;)

Since the Ops Inc cans have 2 points of contact, the threads and the taper at the back of the can, their stability is not assured by having UNEF-3A threads. They use more common UNEF-2A threads on the muzzle. The fit is a little less tight so you will never wear out the threads. I run my 3rd model on a 300wm and it sounds like a 22mag, accuracy is identical with or without the can and POI shift is about .5-.75 moa to 5 o'clock. Recoil feels like a 308. Put the same can on my 308 and POI shift is .5 moa to 5 o'clock, it sounds like a 22lr and recoils like a 223. When I go to 260, same can will see service on it. 30000 red (lifetime) warranty also.
You don't need QD to shift between rifles. I am even thinking of an adapter for my M1A and FAL.