• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

long range predator AR

brick layer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 22, 2013
looking for info to build long range ar in 223 wanting to shoot 75 gr vmax thinking 1in 8 twist maybe 22inch barrel could use some advice I'm new to the ARs

Re: long range predator AR

rock river arms (rra) varmint rifle. Mine shoots 0.5 moa with 75 gr hornady match and varget.

Build a time machine first. Now is not a very good time to try to start an AR build. Parts are few and far between. Mags are non-existent. Ammunition is backordered for months. Save your money while the craziness passes. If a ban passes, you won't have anything to register. If it does not, there will be a glut in the market. Unless you can get into one cheap and can flip it pretty fast this is a terrible market for a buyer...

RR Predator Pursuit is a good factory choice; call Scott at Specialized Dynamics for a custom build from a stand-up HIDE vendor
---could also try Robert at RWS or Chaos Arms or Liberty Arms

personal long-range AR15 favorites are 24" 204, 22" Grendel, 26" 223-----Shilen, Satern, and Krieger barrels

decide on your personal budget first!

almost forgot White Oak----excellent uppers or barrels

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brickman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looking for info to build long range ar in 223 wanting to shoot 75 gr vmax thinking 1in 8 twist maybe 22inch barrel could use some advice I'm new to the ARs </div></div>

I've had a hell of a time finding parts, just ordered one of these barrels: http://www.ar15performance.com/barrels (the 20" with target crown) and BCG. Their prices are reasonable. I've been looking for a 20-24" stainless match or varmint barrel for a couple months and hadn't found one for a reasonable price.

Keep your eyes open, follow a bunch of forums and you can sometimes find some parts w/o a huge premium...but they go fast. Picked up a DPMS "hi-rider" upper (not my first choice, but no time to be picky) for $88 about 2 weeks ago.

+1 on the RRA Varmint .5 moa also with 75gr amax 25gr varget 20" 1/8 wylde

FWIW Lilja sells a 20" 1:8 3-groove stainless barrel but it's not cheap. Seems to be a good barrel though. Good luck with any other parts, dang it's dry out there...

Added: Scratch this, ran across the thread about problems with Lilja barrels on the Gunsmithing forum. Guess I got lucky.

WOA (White Oak) builds stellar uppers, I will also second Scott at Specialized dynamics, he built me a very nice 6.5 Grendel

Keep in mind 75g amax is a single shot only round, as the bullet is too long on the ogive for mag length. But you probably knew that already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brianidaho</div><div class="ubbcode-body">White Oak is claiming a minimum of a 20 week lead time on their web site. Hopefully some distributors get some. </div></div>

Just order one and wait. It's worth every minute.