• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Long range scopes...

Wow man thats actually a very big question. Much to do with familiarity and preference. There are people that can run a duplex out to a thousand, though I would not recommend that. Your leupold would not be a fist pick or even close, I believe that is a ballistic specific reticle so if your using a particular ammo it may or may not work with the reticle. My formula would be fairly straight forward depending on the caliber you are shooting. But let's imagine your using 308. The reason for my picks would be so you can do the ballistic calculations regardless of what type of ammo your running.

A front focal plane (FFP) optic in either 30 or 34mm tube. At least ten power, preferably fifteen. A quick rule of thumb would be one power for every hundred yards. A 20 moa mount so the optic and the ballistic curve align out from 800 to 1200 yards. And lastly a base ten so mil/mil reticle with matching turrets. Time to watch some videos on youtube regarding FFP optics and mill dot reticles.

watch this guy, he give some great primers on optics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTca3wF35Og

for starter look at the:

SWFA super sniper HD
Vortex PST
Leuppold mark 4 or 6

Wow man thats actually a very big question. Much to do with familiarity and preference. There are people that can run a duplex out to a thousand, though I would not recommend that. Your leupold would not be a fist pick or even close, I believe that is a ballistic specific reticle so if your using a particular ammo it may or may not work with the reticle. My formula would be fairly straight forward depending on the caliber you are shooting. But let's imagine your using 308. The reason for my picks would be so you can do the ballistic calculations regardless of what type of ammo your running.

A front focal plane (FFP) optic in either 30 or 34mm tube. At least ten power, preferably fifteen. A quick rule of thumb would be one power for every hundred yards. A 20 moa mount so the optic and the ballistic curve align out from 800 to 1200 yards. And lastly a base ten so mil/mil reticle with matching turrets. Time to watch some videos on youtube regarding FFP optics and mill dot reticles.

watch this guy, he give some great primers on optics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTca3wF35Og

for starter look at the:

SWFA super sniper HD
Vortex PST
Leuppold mark 4 or 6

Perfect advice for what you're wanting to do. For 308 you'll need minimum 175 gr. SMK, or if you reload, 185 gr. Berger offerings. I use the Berger 185gr. VDLs for 1000 yards or more.

What kind of shooting do you plan on doing? I stick with iron sights for 1k shooting on paper targets with big black bulls, which is pretty much all I do.

OP,
You will need a sight which can be adjusted to where bullet path and line of sight will intersect at 1000 yards. You will need a sight which allows you to recognize a consistent sight picture. This is the relationship between sight and target. Also, you will need a sight with relatively small elevation and windage adjustment increments (reticle or dials). Shooting at the NRA LR target, which is big enough to allow for recognition of a target/sight relationship with peep sights may mean you do not need a scope, and, in fact, if you intend to shoot in NRA LR Service Rifle or Match Rifle competitions, only iron sights are permitted.

High scope magnification is only seen to be important by novice shooters. Experienced shooters know that an exacting understanding of a consistent sight picture may not require any magnification when the the target is big enough for some sort of relationship between it and the sight to be established. I find a high power spotting scope to be more important for LR, for a multitude of reasons. BTW, the USAMU determined a scope in the 14 to 20 power range was most useful for NRA LR Any/Any competitions. I do not know the details for the determination but my own experience in Any/Any competitions supports their advice. For the most part, the scope advantage in these competitions is a quick understanding for being on the correct target number.

Last edited:
You should be able to hit pretty easily out to 1000 if the target is an IPSC silhouette sized target with pretty much any 10x scope.

I don't think you need expensive glass to hit to 1000. You might want better glass to help spot your own misses out at 1000 though. Good glass helps for doubling as a spotting scope as well.

I run S&B PMII 5-25x56 with MSR recticle. Works good for me out to 1,000 yard and occasionally 1 mile.

run 6.5 CM on paper to 600 yards, steel to 1,000 yards and 300 WinMag past 1,200 yards on steel.

A good rule of thumb is at least 1x of magnification for every 100 yards. 1.5-2x for every 100 yards will definitely help with target ID. I run a Burris XTR II 3-15 and am happy at 1k. Main thing is to have matching reticle and turrets.

Necropost - "to post in a thread that has been "dead", by being inactive for a relatively long period."

Pretty much everything from $699-$3000 has proven solid, except for IOR, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.