• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Semi-Auto Decision (GAP-10 or JP-LRP)

mikethetiger55

Private
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2014
Hi all, I am new to the forum but have been a lurker for a while. I am looking into purchasing an AR-10 platform for long-range shooting and have narrowed down my choices between the GAP-10 in 7mm-08 and the JP-LRP-07 in 6.5mm creedmoor. I recognize that either platform will be more accurate than my shooting capabilities but appreciate thoughts on both rifles from the group. Experience with either rifle? Pro's / Con's? Alternatives, etc. I was previously considering a POF in 6.5 but there is currently no available date for when these rifles will be back in the queue.

Long-range for me will be [MENTION=100785]700[/MENTION] yards due to range limitations in my area (Houston). I grew up shooting but it has been a while since I have been serious about it.

Thanks

GAP10 first JP second. However most DPMS LR308's with stainless long barrels will shoot very well. I watched Morgan Lamprick Shoot a bone stock Long range DPMS (6.5 creedmoore) out at Rifles only and tear up the bolt actions. I think he placed 4th. Personally I'd go with the 6.5 creedmoore round.

Both GAP and JPE make excellent rifles. Either would be a great choice. I'm a long time satisfied customer of JPE and can tell you from personal experience (20+yrs) that their products and customer service are top notch. I have many thousands of rounds through JP LRP-07's in 308 and 260 Remington. Accuracy and reliability is outstanding in both.

Interested in why GAP in 7mm-08 vs JPE in 6.5 Creedmore? What is your purpose for the rifle? If competition, I'd go with the 6.5 Creedmore as 6.5mm and 6mm bullets rule the roost. If the rifle will be general purpose/target either caliber would be fine.

There are a bunch of threads discussing both GAP and JPE gas guns. You might want to read through a few to help you make your decision.

Not dogging GAP but the GAP10 I owned was plagued with nothing but problems when I got it. Gap was of ZERO assistance over 10+ days of me calling and I only got one call back with whomever I spoke to saying "ive never heard of that happening" when its listed on here multiple times.. I picked up the phone and called JP and had someone who spent probably 30 minutes chatting with me about the issues and then had the parts on the way. Once the JP parts came in the gun magically ran like I would expect it to run. Needless to say Ill be going with JP for the rest of my semi builds.

Reactions: deersniper
Going with JP would be an easy choice for me - not that the GAP 10 isn't a fantastic rifle at a great price. I would go JP for the following reasons (outside of anything related to the caliber):

1. JP offers dual charging uppers which I prefer, especially in a long range rig where you might shoot a bunch from prone. GAP does not.

2. The JP would allow you to make further modifications to your rifle if one should want to do so (i.e. handguard, gas block, etc).

3. Let's say you have a specific lower that you really like (ambi KAC for example). Regardless of whether it's a DPMS pattern or SR25 pattern receiver cut, you'd have a PSC12 upper option in each variety. Kinda nice to have for some folks.

Again, can't really go wrong with either. Both are great factory guns.

I have both a 6.5CM GAP10 and a 6.5CM JP LRP07, here's my thoughts comparing the two...

GAP10:
My GAP10 had horrendous problems early on piercing primers. GAP swapped it to an Armalite BCG with a smaller firing pin and that took care of the issue. The Armalite BCG is something they now do for all new non-308 builds. GAP was good to work with resolving the issue but it took a couple months and two trips back to sort it all out. Now that I can shoot it, my opinion is as follows... It's still slightly overgassed so the setup errs on the side of reliability-- but an adjustable gas block would take care of that. If I ordered it again I would specify an adjustable gas block to be able to tune it for different loads. Very good build quality, great accuracy. A little on the heavy side. I really like the ambi bolt release.

JP LRP07:
The JP is a noticeably lighter rifle compared to the GAP10. Originally it would slightly crater primers but the new JP high pressure bolt (smaller firing pin) fixed that. Build quality and fit/finish is better than the GAP10. Don't misunderstand me, the GAP10 is still put together nicely but the JP is nicer. Even though overall the JP is lighter than the GAP10 the JP has a much lighter and smoother recoil impulse than the GAP10-- the JP silent captured spring and low mass carrier make a big difference in felt recoil and recovery time (granted, both of those could be added to the GAP10 as well.) The side charging handle is awesome, I much prefer it over the standard rear charging handle of the GAP10 although the side charging handle does take some getting used to a new technique when you want to hold the bolt open and manually engage the bolt catch. I do miss the ambi bolt release the GAP10 lower offers. Accuracy isn't quite as good as the GAP10... but the difference in accuracy is ever so slight. I was honestly expecting the GAP10 with the Bartlein to be quite a bit more accurate than the JP-- but I was very surprised just how good the JP barrel shoots, it's right there neck and neck with the GAP10. The difference in accuracy between my two rifles is so slight that on any given day the shooter will be the largest source of error and not the rifle.

After shooting them both back to back on several trips I needed to rob one scope for another rifle... and the GAP10 has been sitting in the safe scopeless for almost a year now if that says anything about my preference. When I shoot the barrel out of the JP I am considering sending it to GAP for a Bartlein though, that would combine the best of both rifles IMO.

Last edited:
JP all the way. The gap 10 I owned was a disappointment the jp rifle I own has been excellent. I also just did a 308 build for a friend and it shoots way better than my gap ever did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have both a 6.5CM GAP10 and a 6.5CM JP LRP07, here's my thoughts comparing the two...

GAP10:
My GAP10 had horrendous problems early on piercing primers. GAP swapped it to an Armalite BCG with a smaller firing pin and that took care of the issue. The Armalite BCG is something they now do for all new builds. GAP was good to work with resolving the issue but it took a couple months and two trips back to sort it all out. Now that I can shoot it, my opinion is as follows... It's still slightly overgassed so the setup errs on the side of reliability-- but an adjustable gas block would take care of that. If I ordered it again I would specify an adjustable gas block to be able to tune it for different loads. Very good build quality, great accuracy. A little on the heavy side.

JP LRP07:
The JP is a noticeably lighter rifle compared to the GAP10. Originally it would slightly crater primers but the new high pressure bolt (smaller firing pin) fixed that. Build quality and fit/finish is better than the GAP10. Don't misunderstand me, the GAP10 is still put together nicely but the JP is nicer. Even though overall the JP is lighter than the GAP10 the JP has a much lighter and smoother recoil impulse than the GAP10-- the JP silent captured spring and low mass carrier make a big difference in felt recoil and recovery time (granted, both of those could be added to the GAP10 as well.) The side charging handle is awesome, I much prefer it over the standard rear charging handle of the GAP10 although the side charging handle does take some getting used to a new technique when you want to hold the bolt open and manually engage the bolt catch. Accuracy isn't quite as good as the GAP10 but the difference in accuracy is ever so slight. I was honestly expecting the GAP10 with the Bartlein to be quite a bit more accurate than the JP-- but I was very surprised just how good the JP barrel shoots. The difference in accuracy between my two rifles is so slight that on any given day the shooter will be the largest source of error and not the rifle.

After shooting them both back to back on several trips I needed to rob one scope for another rifle... and the GAP10 has been sitting in the safe scopeless for almost a year now if that says anything about my preference. When I shoot the barrel out of the JP I am considering sending it to GAP for a Bartlein though, that would combine the best of both rifles IMO...

So GAP is now using Armalite extensions?

--

That being said, I don't have a horse in this race...I built my SASS from scratch and am incredibly happy with it.

I'd say build your own but, you're more interested in the guarantee it seems like.

I'd say go with the JP because GAP's tend to be extremely finicky or, just build your own...and buy once, cry once.

I wouldn't really mess with the 7mm-08 unless you are already set up to load for it with the boat backed up on components.

.260 Remington is the choice I made for 6.5 in a .308-based case due to brass availability. If you read JP's website about the 6.5mm gassers, they will tell you straight up that these are reloader's cartridges, especially in gassers.

Lapua brass will last longer than the other options, and there is way more than one source for .260 when compared to 6.5 Creedmoor.

Having used both rifles, and owning 2 GAP's, one in .260 Remington, I would say that the GAP .260 Rem is one of my most accurate rifles, to the point of being scary for a gas gun. The JP rifles are really built with running and gunning in mind, while being very accurate for a gasser in high volume.

You can't go wrong either way. The biggest difference between the two is weight, with the JP being lighter if you go with their typical contoured barrel. The JP SCS and LMOS are definitely an amazing combination in a well-tuned gun, to the point that tracking your shot through the scope yourself is quite easy.

Thanks for all of the responses. My answer to the 7mm-08 is two fold 1) I have an existing 7mm-08 bolt gun and could share ammo across, and 2) it's somewhat unique. For whatever reason, call me hardheaded, but I tend to go against the crowd. I grew up hunting and purchased a 7mm-08 browning a-bolt as a light stalking gun and it turned out to be the most accurate bolt gun that I own. In fact, it ran circles around my 300 win mag sendero, so much so that I sold it.

I don't know if I will end up competing, but I would like to know that the rifle that I purchase could serve multiple roles. $4K + optics is a good chunk of change to spend on a rifle and therefore your feedback is greatly appreciated. I have no experience with either the JP or the GAP but have shot a few POF's on various occasions and know that they have recently had some issues. My buddy is a class 3 dealer and he has had to have several sent back with barrel issues. However, when they are running they shoot lights out.

Don't forget build time...you'll have a JP in 3 months. Not sure on the GAP. I have a friend who shoots a GAP 10 in 6CM. Great rifle. I own an LRP in .260 and consider, by far, my most favored rifle. They have such a great balance to them due to their lower weight. Also, as already mentioned, the side charging feature is outstanding.

A co worker of mine just received his GAP 10 in 308. It is a hammer and extremely reliable thus far. There have been no issues with being hard on brass or primers. It is heavy, but overall a really nice rifle and soft shooting. Seeing his new GAP 10 makes me think they may have worked out the kinks of previous production. I liked it so much I put in an order on one myself.

Just a thought. Any large frame AR ends up HEAVY. For shooting at 700 yards and closer why not a much cheaper 5.56? KAC SR 15 or other good one. Very nice. Fun. Cheap ammo. Accurate.

You can build with jp Components a very light rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought. Any large frame AR ends up HEAVY. For shooting at 700 yards and closer why not a much cheaper 5.56? KAC SR 15 or other good one. Very nice. Fun. Cheap ammo. Accurate.

I have a few 5.56 ar's including a recently purchased LWRC. Looking for something with a bit more pop and that can rival a bolt gun at extended ranges (again extended for my local ranges). Weight doesn't bother me as I have hauled a sendero on some long range hunting treks. This purchase is a nice to have, but I want to make sure that I am getting the best gun I can for my price range.

I have a JP LRP-07 in .308 and I have had it about 2 years, JP Enterprise makes one of the most accurate, reliable and beautiful rifles you can buy but more more importantly JP has the HIGHEST QUALITY of any rifle I have ever seen. I am 50 yrs old and have been shooting since I was 10, I have been in the military and have handled more firearms than most but my point is that until you see one in person you just have no idea how good these rifles are. Now with that said GAP-10 is a fine rifle too and you wouldn't go wrong with that either.

Last edited:
I have a Gap-10 in .308 and love it. Totally reliable, super accurate. I have never shot the JP but seems like people like it as well.

I have the SASS by DPMS it shoots 5/8th groups with my standard M118 clone loads, amd sure I can get t to a half or better with some load development, I will have a JP 308 with a 22inch barrel when I stop spending my fun money on bolt guns and good scopes, also want a 16 incher GAP.

I have a GAP-10 in 6mm Creedmoor and have friends with the JP rifles. Both rifles are great and I think it will come down to your personal preferences. I don't think you will go wrong with either.

I guess if you want a 7mm-08 GAP will probably do it. I don't know if JP would. You'd have to call them.

GAP10:
My GAP10 had horrendous problems early on piercing primers. GAP swapped it to an Armalite BCG with a smaller firing pin and that took care of the issue. The Armalite BCG is something they now do for all new non-308 builds. GAP was good to work with resolving the issue but it took a couple months and two trips back to sort it all out. Now that I can shoot it, my opinion is as follows... It's still slightly overgassed so the setup errs on the side of reliability-- but an adjustable gas block would take care of that. If I ordered it again I would specify an adjustable gas block to be able to tune it for different loads. Very good build quality, great accuracy. A little on the heavy side. I really like the ambi bolt release.

JP LRP07:
The JP is a noticeably lighter rifle compared to the GAP10. Originally it would slightly crater primers but the new JP high pressure bolt (smaller firing pin) fixed that. Build quality and fit/finish is better than the GAP10. Don't misunderstand me, the GAP10 is still put together nicely but the JP is nicer. Even though overall the JP is lighter than the GAP10 the JP has a much lighter and smoother recoil impulse than the GAP10-- the JP silent captured spring and low mass carrier make a big difference in felt recoil and recovery time (granted, both of those could be added to the GAP10 as well.) The side charging handle is awesome, I much prefer it over the standard rear charging handle of the GAP10 although the side charging handle does take some getting used to a new technique when you want to hold the bolt open and manually engage the bolt catch. I do miss the ambi bolt release the GAP10 lower offers. Accuracy isn't quite as good as the GAP10... but the difference in accuracy is ever so slight. I was honestly expecting the GAP10 with the Bartlein to be quite a bit more accurate than the JP-- but I was very surprised just how good the JP barrel shoots, it's right there neck and neck with the GAP10. The difference in accuracy between my two rifles is so slight that on any given day the shooter will be the largest source of error and not the rifle.

After shooting them both back to back on several trips I needed to rob one scope for another rifle... and the GAP10 has been sitting in the safe scopeless for almost a year now if that says anything about my preference. When I shoot the barrel out of the JP I am considering sending it to GAP for a Bartlein though, that would combine the best of both rifles IMO.

You would want to send the rifle back to JP so they could repeat the thermal fitting process even if you did use a different barrel.

So now I have added the OBR to my list. Am I crazy? Probably so after a long week at work, but from what I have read on the forum they have no problem stretching out to 800+ yards.

So now I have added the OBR to my list. Am I crazy? Probably so after a long week at work, but from what I have read on the forum they have no problem stretching out to 800+ yards.

I love the OBR, the several I have owned/currently own have been nothing but awesome. The only downside is the wait....

I love the OBR, the several I have owned/currently own have been nothing but awesome. The only downside is the wait....

I have a GAP 10 and I'm thinking of adding either a LaRue or JP 7.62 to the stable. Last week, LaRue told me the lead time for new orders was 4 months. I'm waiting on a 5.56 OBR that I ordered last December. Should get a call soon.

Last edited:
I came over from the Bolt Action Rifles forum to advise you that for long range shooting you should get a bolt gun....

Reactions: deersniper

I pick up my tOBR on Tuesday. I think that it a different animal than your 1st two choices but IMHO it rocks. I have fired my buddies on a number of occasions and I would be hard pressed to think there is something more accurate or well rounded.

BR,

I would get the TOBR. You can basically take the rifle apart in seconds, and still achieve GAP10/JP LRP accuracy. Once/if they start offering different caliber choices, it'll be the next DTA/AXMC.

BTW, JP Rifles makes all the parts on the rifles, while GA Precision/Larue sources everything, but the barrel work, from my understanding

My order:
1. Laure PredatOBR
2. JP LRP 07
3. GA Precision

I would get the TOBR. You can basically take the rifle apart in seconds, and still achieve GAP10/JP LRP accuracy. Once/if they start offering different caliber choices, it'll be the next DTA/AXMC.

BTW, JP Rifles makes all the parts on the rifles, while GA Precision/Larue sources everything, but the barrel work, from my understanding

My order:
1. Laure PredatOBR
2. JP LRP 07
3. GA Precision
It looks like Larue has not become the next srs or axmc lol

Reactions: bigjake83