• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Semi Auto

gsxcorey

Private
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2011
I know this has probably been asked, but I have researched. Just curious what others would purchase. Been out of the game for a while and looking to add another item to the safe soon.

Looking for a gun that I can hunt with (semi portable), large caliber, long range, and could be used for protection if need be (ie semi auto). So far I'm looking at the Kivarri and the Ulberht in 338. I'm torn on maybe going to 300 win mag for the sake of the price of the rounds. But it use to be 10 dollars per shot for 338, not i'm seeing 3-4 dollar per shot price ranges? So maybe stick with 338 as I already have the BA110. Turning 40 and looking for my "holy grail" of guns finally. Want a high caliber semi auto with a high end nightforce on it.

Is there anything I'm missing in my thinking, a gun you guys would recommend instead? etc? I love the GM6 LYNX, but I don't want a .50 so that is out. Looking for a semi portable long range gun that is the most "multi tasking" gun if that makes sense. So it's damn good at everything, but a master of none lol.

Thanks for the info. That was the Kivarri it looks like. YOu heard anything bad about the Ulberht though? Or are you saying any/all semi auto 338's you would shy away from? None are set up for continued use, precision, etc?

Don't mean to be facetious, just curious. In what scenario does one use a .338 for protection?

I havent heard much good about any 338 semis. Id be looking toward falkor 300 win mags if your really set on large mag semis. Nothing a 308 or 6.5 really couldnt do for much less money and weight though

Reactions: jhutch3313
Don't mean to be facetious, just curious. In what scenario does one use a .338 for protection?

I didn't really mean for that. I know it's more likely to get hit by lightning. I'm talking more just to have a gun as multi use as possible. semi auto so it can work up close, long distance, out in the woods in a "end of world" type of thing, hunting, etc. I realize it would suck for bird hunting, but just looking for a very versatile gun. Mostly for long distance plinking and hunting as I'm not dumb, that is what it would be used for 100% of the time barring something crazy happening with our country, world, etc.

I havent heard much good about any 338 semis. Id be looking toward falkor 300 win mags if your really set on large mag semis. Nothing a 308 or 6.5 really couldnt do for much less money and weight though
THANK YOU. This is what I was hoping for and why I wanted to post up in here. Been out of the game for a long time and hitting 40 so wanted to pick up a "dream gun". I'm not against the 300 win mag as it's cheaper to shoot. You haven't heard of any issues with this gun? Anyone else? My quick search of it, it's the one I'm leaning towards now as I'm not hearing good stuff out of the 338 semi's.

Any other suggestions? Falkor Petra 300 win mag looks awesome so far!

If you want something versatile get a 6.5 creedmoor semi.
Get a 300WM DT or AI for the far away stuff.

Check out Noreen. I picked up their bn36 long range assassin in 300 win mag. They use shilen barrels and build the whole rifle in house. Mine shoots sub moa with 212eldx and nosler trophy 190 accubond so far. Rifle weighs 9 lbs. It comes with 1:10 22" barrel with adjustable gas block. They offer a 338 lapua also but it is heavier. They have a lighter model coming out in June with a lighter weight hand gaurd and receiver set. It's accurate and reliable for a bargain price in 300 win mag. They make 5 and 10 round milled aluminum magazines. They use dpms barrel extension so if you want you can get a custom barrel made easily. They offer a lighter rifle in 30-06, 270, 25-06 that have 10 and 20 round magazines.

I have about 200 rounds thru mine and am working on load development. I got mine for 2700$ delivered with 2 10 round mags and I got them to throw in a 7 rem mag barrel as well. The 7 rem mag barrel is also a 1:10 twist, which is not going to stabilize heavier high bc bullets. The 300 win mag and 7 rem mag use the same magazine. It limits you to a max over all length of 3.35 inches. So 210-215 grain bullets are about the highest bullet weight you can fit for 300 win mag. If you got a faster twist 7 rem mag barrel made up you could use the heavy high bc bullets. Which is what I was going to do until I found the .7 bc 212eldx shot so well in their 300 win mag barrel.

However, the Bad News model in 338 lapua and 300 win mag uses a DI/piston design that is heavier than the DI design of their lighter rifles. I think the 338 is 13 lbs., but has a 26 inch barrel, and is more accurate. It costs around 5,000$

There are some good review videos on YouTube, especially of the 338 lapua magnum

You might look at Falkor Defense. I shot their Petra Mod in 300 WIN at Blue Steel Ranch. Shot 3 rounds in 3 seconds at 300 yards and group was under MOA with 190 gr Fed Match. Felt like a 308 semi with a brake. They also make one in 300 Norma. Impressive!!

Honestly, unless you really need the bullet weight and energy on target that only a 300WM or 338 can give you, I'd seriously consider a 6.5cm. Round has about the same drop and wind drift as 300WM out to 1000 yards, and will be cheaper, have a lot less recoil and give you better barrel life. If you do decide to go with 300WM or 338 I would suggest that you invest in a very good muzzle brake and try to get something fairly heavy. Of course, this may detract from its effectiveness as a hunting rifle, particularly if you plan on lugging it through the backcountry.

Right now I really have my eye on the falkor Petra. Just not sure which of the 3 barrels. Seems the cf stuff is fairly new. Anyone have experience with them or a recommendation on one if their barrels?