• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long Range Semi Piston Rifle

He's not the most respected....I didn't just make that Lunchbox shit up... Think about it.

I do agree on one point, Alias is great but I prefer Defoor and Mac.

Everything else is a broken record with you. Sad thing is you puff up your chest and with every opinion yes "opinion" or rather your opinion based on others opinions shows some ignorance punctuated by insults. You really have no idea who you are talking too or what their "pedigree" as you so value is.

And yet the internet makes us all omnipotent bad asses right?

Seems to me there is a reason the SEAL's, DEVGRU especially, all seem to be running the 416 in some form or another for battle rifles, and some variation of the SR25 for more precise shooting, all of which from my limited Google search are DI. Theres a local range, Retired SEAL owned, and he prefers what runs and gets the mission accomplished, not what looks cool or is popular. And why not, his life and those of the guys in his team depended on reliability. Is a piston an end all beat all solution to the issues of the M4 and M16's? No, but its an improvement for some of them, but not a replacement for weapons maintenance either.

But aside from the Mine hangs lower arguments, no one seems to address any reasons that a piston would not be as accurate as DI for long range shooting, so please allow me to venture an opinion on this matter. To me, its a matter of air blowing, or a solid piece of metal banging around. The piston may make it more reliable against dirty actions and bolts, but it is also a solid mounted moving part banging back and forth against the action AND the barrel. If you free float a barrel, the general idea is to relieve pressure points on the barrel that may alter the barrel whip and flex, potentially adversely effecting accuracy, right? Introduce a reciprocating metal mass banging on the barrel, using the barrel itself for its base to start the banging, its springboard so to speak, and you have more potential barrel movement than with just a bunch of hot air blowing around through a block and tube.

Since car analogies are so popular this thread, think of it like this: An exceptionally stiff gust of wind lasting 5 seconds and blowing at 100mph against your house, or a Lotus Elise hitting your house at 100mph, hell, even a Smart Car if it were able to get to 100mph without the requisite tail wind. What does more damage, wind that will flex to the environment more readily, or a solid mass putting direct energy and altering its environment more than it flexes to the environment?

I may be way off base, but I bet a Mercury Dime that even if I am off, Im still sub MOA on my opinion/thoughts on this.

He's not the most respected....I didn't just make that Lunchbox shit up... Think about it.

Everything else is a broken record with you. Sad thing is you puff up your chest and with every opinion yes "opinion" or rather your opinion based on others opinions shows some ignorance punctuated by insults. You really have no idea who you are talking too or what their "pedigree" as you so value is.

This x 100.

What is needed here is a New Sniper's Hide Semi-Auto Piston Rifles, an you DI guys stay the fuck out............

What is needed here is a New Sniper's Hide Semi-Auto Piston Rifles, an you DI guys stay the fuck out............

They already have it...its called the Stupid Marksmanship Questions...

And reading comprehension is not your strong suit. "ONE OF" does not equal 'THE".

When you make it through selection, the Q course , and Delta selection....you can critique on the weight gain of someone after they retire.....

We were talking about the 416. Anyone who says Vickers is not ONE OF the premier trainers (and weapons experts) in the field is in denial. The reference is within the context of the weapon being discussed. If we were talking about the best sporting clays guns or the best sniper systems then it would be no different than talking to Anthony JR. or someone like Chris Kyle or .

No one said Vickers is the best. No one said Kyle and Pat are also not fantastic trainers.

Tell me what Chris Costa's pedigree is since I have no idea? He is the only person that was getting dragged through the coals.

You are just talking to make noise, and have not brought one new idea to this disscussion.

Last edited:
Speaking of which, can you provide documentation, links or direction to confirm your assertions? Is there reference material we can review that would prove the piston AR-15's are "crap" and DI's rifles are the best? Maybe you could create a report for us to review?

I only stated my personal first hand experience. I also wanted to explain to the OP how the HK MR556 was superior to the LWRC M6-A3. That was all. Then you came in on a lightning chariot from the gods explaining your opinions. Please back up your contentions with fact, if you may.

Some has already been provided. Most of it can be found easily if you aren't to lazy to do the research and talk to those in the know.

The truth is, most of us don't have the resources to really test the products. How do you know if your product is going to shit the bed after 50 or 500 or 5000 rounds? Without an infinate supply of time and money, we have to rely on those that have the training and experince, along with the resources to test these weapons. They could be a guy in a specialized unit who is around 20 other guys shooting the piss out of a system to see what floats and what sinks. They could be a trainer who sees Hundreds or thousands of students with various gear every year..... and makes note of what works and what fails. Or it could be the legions of owners and respected posters in the shooting community who post reviews, after action reports, or issues with the gear they run. All of this starts to paint a pretty big picture of what gear works and what gear is worth the money it costs.

I don't have the time or money to put 100K rounds through my Sr-15's to know if they are reliable. I DO have the ability to read, research, and observe those that do... helping me making a decision I feel very confident about.

If you want a report, then join the military and become an officer and work your way into weapons and system testing. Or go get an engineering/physics/metalugry/ degree and try to work your way into one of the service test centers like ATC at aberdeen. Then you can look at the test parameters and make your own determination if the testing is fair or bias. Then you will be able to read the "reports" which usualy get grenaded when they come up with the same conclusions every few years..............OR you can just talk to friends or colleages who work there that you trust... and can take their advice. OR you could listen to the advice of Service Members who actualy did the testing (such as Papa on this site) and have shared their experince with this site to help us make more informed decisions.

I do agree with you the MR is probally a better weapon than LWRC, but they both are pretty flawed. I have explained why, so I don't really feel a need to repeat myself. I appologize if you were offended or felt insulted, it was not my intention.

Cobra, as you stated earlier this has been debated many times and I'm sure it will continue in the future. I just find it hard to beleave that someone with your experiance and knowledge would say that all piston systems are inherently inferior. I think that there is time, place, situation for each system. I mentioned the success of the AK, Tavor you mentioned the scar, all are good proven systems. But I would also like to mention the great M1 Garand it is a piston system and is also considered to be one of the greatest battle rifles in history accurate and reliable in the harshest conditions.

In fact the major reason the AR system was designed was to decrease weight and allow the soldiers to be able to carry much more ammo Into battle. The M16 did that very well but it too had many growing pains in the beginning. In the end I just appreciate the fact that the gun industry is still trying to grow, and not just sticking with the old standard. I have or do own most of the guns that we have talked about and love them all for different reasons, I think people should buy and use what works for them in a given situation. Lets face it the fact is that 90% of the people on this forum have never and will never use these guns in a life and death situation, and as you stated anyone stupid enough not to properly maintain what ever system they run is a complete idiot and should probably not own or operate any firearm.

One thing I love about this forum is it's never boring and there is so much advice, some good and some bad but always an opinion.

Cobra, as you stated earlier this has been debated many times and I'm sure it will continue in the future. I just find it hard to beleave that someone with your experiance and knowledge would say that all piston systems are inherently inferior. I think that there is time, place, situation for each system. I mentioned the success of the AK, Tavor you mentioned the scar, all are good proven systems. But I would also like to mention the great M1 Garand it is a piston system and is also considered to be one of the greatest battle rifles in history accurate and reliable in the harshest conditions.

In fact the major reason the AR system was designed was to decrease weight and allow the soldiers to be able to carry much more ammo Into battle. The M16 did that very well but it too had many growing pains in the beginning. In the end I just appreciate the fact that the gun industry is still trying to grow, and not just sticking with the old standard. I have or do own most of the guns that we have talked about and love them all for different reasons, I think people should buy and use what works for them in a given situation. Lets face it the fact is that 90% of the people on this forum have never and will never use these guns in a life and death situation, and as you stated anyone stupid enough not to properly maintain what ever system they run is a complete idiot and should probably not own or operate any firearm.

Please stop putting words into my mouth. I NEVER said all piston systems are inferior. I said ALL "AR" pistons are inferior, and outside of the 416 which is used for a specific niche', that rings true. ALL PISTON GUNS DOES NOT EQUATE TO ALL PISTON AR's. I don't know how much clearer I can make this.

I own AK's, one of the first FDE Tavors, and a SCAR17 among other piston weapons. If I thought they all were shit, why would I own them?

Words have meaning, and I am starting to see a pattern of people misquotting what I have actually said, and replacing it with what they think or want me to say. I don't mind that you make a mistake quoting or repeating me, but others who haven't read the thread, or who don't understand will take that ignorance and run with it.

Please stop putting words into my mouth. I NEVER said all piston systems are inferior. I said ALL "AR" pistons are inferior, and outside of the 416 which is used for a specific niche', that rings true. ALL PISTON GUNS DOES NOT EQUATE TO ALL PISTON AR's. I don't know how much clearer I can make this.

I own AK's, one of the first FDE Tavors, and a SCAR17 among other piston weapons. If I thought they all were shit, why would I own them?

Words have meaning, and I am starting to see a pattern of people misquotting what I have actually said, and replacing it with what they think or want me to say. I don't mind that you make a mistake quoting or repeating me, but others who haven't read the thread, or who don't understand will take that ignorance and run with it.

Cobra, I stand corrected and unlike some on this forum I'm man enough to admit it. You did indeed state AR pistons. I still dont completely agree with that, but hey different strokes for different folks brother.

Some has already been provided. Most of it can be found easily if you aren't to lazy to do the research and talk to those in the know.

The truth is, most of us don't have the resources to really test the products. How do you know if your product is going to shit the bed after 50 or 500 or 5000 rounds? Without an infinate supply of time and money, we have to rely on those that have the training and experince, along with the resources to test these weapons. They could be a guy in a specialized unit who is around 20 other guys shooting the piss out of a system to see what floats and what sinks. They could be a trainer who sees Hundreds or thousands of students with various gear every year..... and makes note of what works and what fails. Or it could be the legions of owners and respected posters in the shooting community who post reviews, after action reports, or issues with the gear they run. All of this starts to paint a pretty big picture of what gear works and what gear is worth the money it costs.

I don't have the time or money to put 100K rounds through my Sr-15's to know if they are reliable. I DO have the ability to read, research, and observe those that do... helping me making a decision I feel very confident about.

If you want a report, then join the military and become an officer and work your way into weapons and system testing. Or go get an engineering/physics/metalugry/ degree and try to work your way into one of the service test centers like ATC at aberdeen. Then you can look at the test parameters and make your own determination if the testing is fair or bias. Then you will be able to read the "reports" which usualy get grenaded when they come up with the same conclusions every few years..............OR you can just talk to friends or colleages who work there that you trust... and can take their advice. OR you could listen to the advice of Service Members who actualy did the testing (such as Papa on this site) and have shared their experince with this site to help us make more informed decisions.

I do agree with you the MR is probally a better weapon than LWRC, but they both are pretty flawed. I have explained why, so I don't really feel a need to repeat myself. I appologize if you were offended or felt insulted, it was not my intention.

Sorry Cobra, but you just didn't cut it this time. Making a contention and then making excuses such as "I don't have the time or money" or "join the military". This forum is to exchange information and assist people who might not know. Since you made the contention that piston AR's are inferior, but then never back it up, makes for interesting side show antics which is rarely taken seriously.

I can do my own research and if I find something that is helpful, I will assist and post. But something I will not do is make sweeping generalizations about an entire group of firearms without support and evidence. While opinions are important, is it MORE important to understand why someone might have the opinion. I am not so gullible to just take said opinion from an unknown source and treat it as gospel, would you?

Try harder Cobra. Help out more. Give us some good information. Support your contention. Otherwise, you sound like Charlie Brown's parents.

Here is what I see going on. Where I live in this great country, I see guys wanting and buying piston rifles for a couple of reasons, and those reasons are not for the reasons you think they would be. They mostly want/buy them so they can say they have a piston rifle or a LWRC. When you ask them if they run suppressors they say no, when you ask if they shoot massive amounts of ammo and heat up their rifle, they say no. When you ask them if this is their first AR they say no and then when you ask if they had any issues with their other AR DI gun they say no. These guys want to one up their buddy and spend the most. I ask them if they carry an extra piston in case that one breaks, No. I said I have several ar's and I can put the same gas tube which is a minimal cost on any of them. It does not have to be a Rock River, DPMS, Daniel Defense, etc, etc for it to work. These guys carry their rifle around in their farm truck and shoot it when they see a coyote or stray dog chasing their cattle or something along those lines.

This is a free country and I see people all the time buying shit that they dont need, hell I do that all the time when golf season is here, anything that might give me an edge you know. It is not my place to tell them they suck or dont suck. I agree some things or all that most people in this thread have posted. If folks want a piston driven instead of DI gun, I say have at it. In this anti gun climate we are in, as long as rifles are selling and people making them have jobs, that is a great thing. For me personally, I do not want or need a piston driven rifle that cost twice as much as the current AR's I own and shoot. I am not sold that they are more accurate or dependable in the fashion that I shoot them. I am a hunter, and just for fun shooter who is ex military and was taught how to clean and shoot di rifles. I also have an ar around for home defense and to protect my family. My DI rifles have never failed me, period.

I do take offense for someone bashing Larry Vickers. I do not know him and cant tell you what kind of a guy he is. I can tell you that my days in the army, I have spent just a few days in hairy spots and situations and I was not Ranger, SF, DELTA, etc. My days were in the friggin country of Iraq doing what was asked of me and they sucked, and for someone to bash on this guy who made it through more pain and training to become a delta operator, is just bad taste. There is no way to know what all this guy went through and the places and things he has done/ seen is beyond my comprehension. He deserves a free pass so to speak. He has earned my respect. You should "Thank Him" not bash him.

Here is what I see going on. Where I live in this great country, I see guys wanting and buying piston rifles for a couple of reasons, and those reasons are not for the reasons you think they would be. They mostly want/buy them so they can say they have a piston rifle or a LWRC. When you ask them if they run suppressors they say no, when you ask if they shoot massive amounts of ammo and heat up their rifle, they say no. When you ask them if this is their first AR they say no and then when you ask if they had any issues with their other AR DI gun they say no. These guys want to one up their buddy and spend the most. I ask them if they carry an extra piston in case that one breaks, No. I said I have several ar's and I can put the same gas tube which is a minimal cost on any of them. It does not have to be a Rock River, DPMS, Daniel Defense, etc, etc for it to work. These guys carry their rifle around in their farm truck and shoot it when they see a coyote or stray dog chasing their cattle or something along those lines.

This is a free country and I see people all the time buying shit that they dont need, hell I do that all the time when golf season is here, anything that might give me an edge you know. It is not my place to tell them they suck or dont suck. I agree some things or all that most people in this thread have posted. If folks want a piston driven instead of DI gun, I say have at it. In this anti gun climate we are in, as long as rifles are selling and people making them have jobs, that is a great thing. For me personally, I do not want or need a piston driven rifle that cost twice as much as the current AR's I own and shoot. I am not sold that they are more accurate or dependable in the fashion that I shoot them. I am a hunter, and just for fun shooter who is ex military and was taught how to clean and shoot di rifles. I also have an ar around for home defense and to protect my family. My DI rifles have never failed me, period.

I do take offense for someone bashing Larry Vickers. I do not know him and cant tell you what kind of a guy he is. I can tell you that my days in the army, I have spent just a few days in hairy spots and situations and I was not Ranger, SF, DELTA, etc. My days were in the friggin country of Iraq doing what was asked of me and they sucked, and for someone to bash on this guy who made it through more pain and training to become a delta operator, is just bad taste. There is no way to know what all this guy went through and the places and things he has done/ seen is beyond my comprehension. He deserves a free pass so to speak. He has earned my respect. You should "Thank Him" not bash him.

Well said.

I am not just blasting or shitting on a product for fun. We all come here for different reasons, but most come here to get educated. We are supposed to be helping each other out. When I give advice, its not beacuse I have a financial or otherwise interest in doing so. It is to HELP people on this site. Like any industry, the gun industry is full of frauds, shitty products, and ignorant consumers. There is a wealth of knowledge now that the internet is common place. All the information is out there if you want it, all you have to do is put in the legwork.

You are 100% right people can buy what they want. That does not make it a wise or financially sound choice. Most of the time, its people trying to resassure themselves the purchase they just made was wise. Many times, its ignorant and ill-informed consumers who purchase products based on advice from lying gun stores, other ignorant consumers, dumb friends or whatever.

I for one, don't want to see a forum full of rah rah look what I bought blah blah bullshit, that serves to educate no one or bring meaningfull discussion to the forum. I also believe, most of the regular members here feel the same way.

The even bigger kicker is, people ask opinions about products or how they compare.... and then cry like little bitches when someone critiques their recent purchase. NEWS FLASH: Your not the only one who has bought or used that product. Then they demand that you serve all the research and experince you have on a silver platter, because they are too fucking lazy or stupid to do it themselves. And then, its a different person, EVERYDAY, demanding the same thing on a silver platter, dispite it being on the same forum page, 3 threads down. And they get butt hurt that you don't hold their hand and explain everything in detail (which they will still ignore or argue because they have no desire to actualy learn). The same information they are demanding.............they cannot or will not provide supporting their claims (that are bullshit)

Then you have sad, people like NevadaZielmeister who even when you explain to them why.........they still bitch and moan and claim they are still waiting, despite being given that exact info. It really is impossible to make everyone happy. So you know what? Fuck them. No one gives a shit about them. They are white noise. The people who want to learn and grow the knowledge base of the site, are the only ones that matter.

So, those that refuse to listen.......PROVE to us why Piston AR's are superior... None of this "oh its easier to clean", "i have one that has 200 rnds through trouble free" or other bullshit. Prove how despite all the drawbacks and weaknesses of them, they are a better choice. Explain how despite them being heavier, more expensive, having more recoil, less inherent accuracy, lack of common spares, lack of availibility, lack of well known armorer knowledge, and besides HK every company that pushes them as primary products is considered unreliable and a joke to the real industry.... why they are superior? Companies like LMT and Colt make them as a GIMMICK. Marketed to the same dumb ass ignorant people who buy zombie ammo and countersnipers. They appease them becuse hey.... "A fool and their money soon parted".......And "I am better at spending their money then they are". HRM, I wonder why the Brits chose the DI version for the L129A1, when they could have had anything they want, including a bunch of piston submissions.....

I expect more run around the table and back at you bs........but humor us.

Last edited:
Well said.

I am not just blasting or shitting on a product for fun. We all come here for different reasons, but most come here to get educated. We are supposed to be helping each other out. When I give advice, its not beacuse I have a financial or otherwise interest in doing so. It is to HELP people on this site. Like any industry, the gun industry is full of frauds, shitty products, and ignorant consumers. There is a wealth of knowledge now that the internet is common place. All the information is out there if you want it, all you have to do is put in the legwork.

You are 100% right people can buy what they want. That does not make it a wise or financially sound choice. Most of the time, its people trying to resassure themselves the purchase they just made was wise. Many times, its ignorant and ill-informed consumers who purchase products based on advice from lying gun stores, other ignorant consumers, dumb friends or whatever.

I for one, don't want to see a forum full of rah rah look what I bought blah blah bullshit, that serves to educate no one or bring meaningfull discussion to the forum. I also believe, most of the regular members here feel the same way.

The even bigger kicker is, people ask opinions about products or how they compare.... and then cry like little bitches when someone critiques their recent purchase. NEWS FLASH: Your not the only one who has bought or used that product. Then they demand that you serve all the research and experince you have on a silver platter, because they are too fucking lazy or stupid to do it themselves. And then, its a different person, EVERYDAY, demanding the same thing on a silver platter, dispite it being on the same forum page, 3 threads down. And they get butt hurt that you don't hold their hand and explain everything in detail (which they will still ignore or argue because they have no desire to actualy learn). The same information they are demanding.............they cannot or will not provide supporting their claims (that are bullshit)

Then you have sad, people like NevadaZielmeister who even when you explain to them why.........they still bitch and moan and claim they are still waiting, despite being given that exact info. It really is impossible to make everyone happy. So you know what? Fuck them. No one gives a shit about them. They are white noise. The people who want to learn and grow the knowledge base of the site, are the only ones that matter.

So, those that refuse to listen.......PROVE to us why Piston AR's are superior... None of this "oh its easier to clean", "i have one that has 200 rnds through trouble free" or other bullshit. Prove how despite all the drawbacks and weaknesses of them, they are a better choice. Explain how despite them being heavier, more expensive, having more recoil, less inherent accuracy, lack of common spares, lack of availibility, lack of well known armorer knowledge, and besides HK every company that pushes them as primary products is considered unreliable and a joke to the real industry.... why they are superior? Companies like LMT and Colt make them as a GIMMICK. Marketed to the same dumb ass ignorant people who buy zombie ammo and countersnipers. They appease them becuse hey.... "A fool and their money soon parted".......And "I am better at spending their money then they are". HRM, I wonder why the Brits chose the DI version for the L129A1, when they could have had anything they want, including a bunch of piston submissions.....

I expect more run around the table and back at you bs........but humor us.
I agree. When I first came to this forum I was getting into long range shooting so I came to learn. Have done tons of reading and research on here and I feel I have learned. I feel I have come to know those on here that know what the hell they are talking about or see those that own something and they are the expert. I do not post many things unless I feel I have something to add or experience with this or that, I would not post if I dont believe in it. If I thought DI guns were junk and the piston were better, I would own piston. I saw a test one time with DI vs Piston and the piston rifle hand guard had holes/slots in it, the DI was milspec with plastic handguards. They threw the cheap ass DI mil spec in the sand/dirt/mud/grime and then tried to fire it, BANG, BANG, BANG, They put the piston in the same shit and tortured the same way, pulled the trigger, BANG!!! Only one bang. A small rock and mud made its way to the piston and it did not cycle the rifle, a jam. Imagine that. For me, I do not see a need for a piston rifle nor do I have the money for one even if I wanted one. That is the way I see it. I also think people always believe that the stuff they decide to buy, is BY GOD the best there is. I know all my rifles are good, are they the best, hell, is there a BEST? Mine are maintained and go frigging bang every time.

As far as the piston vs DI AR argument goes... it was hashed out years ago, and there is not a piston AR worth owning, PERIOD

Someone just lost a ton of credibility with that statement. Yeah, it was hashed out years ago and guess what? They're still being produced and are indeed quite popular. Here I was thinking this was a decent alternative to BARF15com.

That statement is not education, it is blind unwillingness to accept anything different than the status quo.

I'll put my flame resistant suit on now.

Last edited:
Cobracutter all I am trying to say is that semi-auto rifles have come a long way when it comes to accuracy, yes a Bolt Action rifle will be more accurate but the margin is not that great anymore.
The margin is still great enough that nobody that seriously competes to win in long range practical rifle matches or NRA long range (both conventional and F class) matches uses a semi even though they are allowed by the rules.

Someone just lost a ton of credibility with that statement. Yeah, it was hashed out years ago and guess what? They're still being produced and are indeed quite popular. Here I was thinking this was a decent alternative to BARF15com.

That statement is not education, it is blind unwillingness to accept anything different than the status quo.

Did you even read the thread? 416 is not a civilian weapon. Show me where I can buy one......... And not a used upper for $5K+

Popularity means shit. American Idol is Popular... Bruno Mars is popular......Dallas Cowboys.... they are still shit.

Since you want to throw your hat into the ring... How about YOU explain the great benefits to us instead of dropping a dump in the thread and walking away?

Last edited:
The margin is still great enough that nobody that seriously competes to win in long range practical rifle matches or NRA long range (both conventional and F class) matches uses a semi even though they are allowed by the rules.

Don't be bringing no logic and common sense up in here now.......You might hurt someones post purchase feelings.

Don't be bringing no logic and common sense up in here now.......You might hurt someones post purchase feelings.

Well said Cobra. You are so right. Continue with your activities. State things and then don't support them. Make blanket statements and provide no evidence. Excellent logic in this thread thanks to you.

Well said Cobra. You are so right. Continue with your activities. State things and then don't support them. Make blanket statements and provide no evidence. Excellent logic in this thread thanks to you.

Everything you seek has already been addressed in this thread. Reread it before you post, saying the same stupid, ignorant and silly shit everytime.

Or do you preffer to continue this back and forth circle jerk where you provide no refuting evidence or proof? Keep Trolling.

They already have it...its called the Stupid Marksmanship Questions...

Shit got a little hot in this thread! 19Scout77 I have to admit your post made me LOL (and I own a POF so by all accounts I should have been butt-hurt...nice one)

proneshooter and the rest of you I am not saying that a semi-auto will beat a bolt action in competition, what I am saying is that for the average joe like most of us we will be able to shoot a semi-auto almost as good as a bolt action @ 100,200,300, 400 or so yards. I am not talking about 1500 yard or a mile long shot, yes a bolt action is superior to a semi-auto in long distance shooting.

Did you even read the thread? 416 is not a civilian weapon. Show me where I can buy one......... And not a used upper for $5K+

Popularity means shit. American Idol is Popular... Bruno Mars is popular......Dallas Cowboys.... they are still shit.

Since you want to throw your hat into the ring... How about YOU explain the great benefits to us instead of dropping a dump in the thread and walking away?

Typical DI bully, the OP didn't ask about DI he asked about Pistons, yet you and the other DI or Die bullies will run into these threads acting like you're God's gift to rifles.

The MR762 / 556 rifles use the same damn piston as the 416. Are there differences? Sure, but not in operation.

The SCAR uses a piston, the TAVOR uses a piston and nearly every other MFG has released a piston operated rifle to meet market demands since HK introduced the 416. Hell, even Colt now has a piston rifle. Why do you suppose that is?

You're entitled to your opinion but acting like no-one else can possibly think differently is typical of the DI or die crowd and should have stopped in 2005.

I'm not going to debate the merits of either system with you as that has been done over and over again in literally thousands of threads. Just like you, I am entitled to my opinion and let's just say we disagree on the topic and the approach.

As someone who has owned DI based AR's for 30 years, I have never gotten the piston thing. There are places where it belongs when suppressing or fording a river but for me, a quality built carbine with a midlength gas system is the cats meow.

If I were the OP, I would get a quality precision 5.56 AR, like a Noveske, JP, or similar with a rifle or midlength gas system. 5.56/223 is far cheaper to shoot and can get you out to 500 yards comfortably. Take some training classes and spend some serious time with it. Once you get a couple thousand rounds through the gun and become an expert with it, then you can start shopping for the bigger caliber.

I'm sorry, but the fact that they are popular does not make them good; that my friend, is a logical fallacy. It is the samething as saying, since binge drinking/smoking weed is popular, it's good.

But besides that, the DI and piston argument rages on in about every forum. I don't know much about piston ARs, but I'd rather own a scar-16s rather than dropping a ton on the civilian mr556. It's just really what looks "tacticool" and stuff. People buy guns for that reason, and sadly I do too.

Cobracutter does have a point, DI guns are very well made, and his M16 comments are correct. They do run very well without lube and such. However, some people want to buy piston guns, just because they look a lot more badass (look at LWRC repr vs a DI ar-10). It's really just personal opinion.

However, when a person decides to choose piston vs DI, they must be able to sacrifice sub-moa accuracy (exception to the POF, although I hear some issues about some shots going crazy due to some problems with the piston interfering) for the much more cool look/cleaner barrel. You can't really have best of both worlds sadly, and thats the problem.

Just my $0.02, I'm not a precision shooter...

Well here's another one of these threads.
I've been lurking too long and not posting so I'm sorry this is my first post.

Anyway I'm looking to buy a semi rifle for long range (~500ryds, but I'd like to be able to take it to 1000yrds with more skill)
I'm hoping to spend around ~$3500 max for the rifle.

I have dealt with DI guns before and I really just want a piston gun even if its just to say its not DI.

What I've looked at so far and my current ranking is:
  1. LWRC R.E.P.R. 20"
  2. PWS MK2 20"
  3. POF P308

I've never dealt with any of these weapons and there aren't any places within 100s of miles that would ever have something like this in stock to look at.

I'm pretty much open to anything but I do have a soft spot for that side charging handle on the R.E.P.R. just because I like being unique.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

So, back to helping the OP. Imorhi, here is a post regarding the HK MR762: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-rifles/227920-range-report-h-k-mr-762-a.html

The accuracy is so so in my book, but still pretty good.

Here is the LWRC REPR at 1000 yards report: LWRC International Forum ? View topic - REPR at 1200 yds

Hope this information helps. Disregard the piston haters.

And still all we have is flamslicious thread, with no one saying why a piston AR is less accurate, less reliable, so on and so forth. Ive seen less flame at a Rammstein concert full of drag queens.

I feel like Im reading Obama supporters or Global Warming proponents scream they are right, now go look up why were right because were not going to tell you, just bash.

Lets pretend most people here are just ignorant but willing to listen and learn, now tell us why your opinion is what it is, and more importantly why its right. So far seems like only one person has even taken a shot at logic or reason in their explanation, or did I miss someone else other than my uneducated self?

Edit:Nevada posted as I was typing, so two people offering something with logic or verifiable stats.

Last edited:
Anyway I'm looking to buy a semi rifle for long range (~500ryds, but I'd like to be able to take it to 1000yrds with more skill)
I'm hoping to spend around ~$3500 max for the rifle.

What I've looked at so far and my current ranking is:
  1. LWRC R.E.P.R. 20"
  2. PWS MK2 20"
  3. POF P308

I've never dealt with any of these weapons and there aren't any places within 100s of miles that would ever have something like this in stock to look at.

I'm pretty much open to anything but I do have a soft spot for that side charging handle on the R.E.P.R. just because I like being unique.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

I am staying out of the piston/DI melee. Full disclosure, I have both and I'm no expert with either.

I do own a 14.5" P308 and since you listed POF as your #3 of 3 I'll share my experiences and why I would buy something else.

I wanted a semiauto .308 that went out to 500-600 and their marketing was better than my research in 2011 so there I went...received it in 2012. As a 'long range' wannabe noob I tried to exactly replicate the results of a review I had seen on their site so I got a leupold mk4, Fed GMM, etc and got to work. I can group fine with most DI but I was seeing mil-surp performance with this so I tried 6 other types of factory match grade ammo in a range of weights/brands but stayed at 1.5-2.5 MOA.

My customer service experience was spotty, which was stressful after dropping that much coin on a rifle. There were suggestions that it was the driver, setup etc. I listened to them and kept trying to shoot it better.

I finally ended up sending it back on my dime (think it was around $80). After chasing them down again they said THEY couldn't get it to group either. They told me they replaced the barrel. I didn't have any way to verify but when I got it back it was shooting the same. Spotty customer service again. I asked if they shot the new barrel to check the accuracy and they had not. Sent it back again (my $80). Zero comms, it eventually showed up at my door with an unlabeled paper target with 5 holes in it. No name, date, data, etc and no explanation about anything, no paperwork at all so it sounded like "FU" or maybe just a business that runs on chaos. Still shot the same, about 2 MOA.

At that point I was a bit demoralized, which was why I threw down on the GAP (not because of a DI/piston thing, it was the fact that they GUARANTEE sub-moa performance in writing and they don't mind interacting with customers).

I am still shooting the POF a lot and with handloading I am starting to see some sub-MOA potential but it's a bumpy road, she seems to be an extremely picky eater and I haven't found a repeatable recipe quite yet (probably my reload technique but I can beat GMM, TAP etc). It could be the whole thing was just me sucking at driving but the fact that they agreed with me after they shot it the first time provided a glimmer of doubt that has stuck with me. The GAP has been the opposite experience, the team is awesome but I never need to call because I can hit about .7 MOA at 400 with a cup of coffee and a cigarette. But the POF is probably teaching me to shoot better.

I know there are good guys at POF, I know a lot of people have had amazing results...I just haven't. I don't know if it's me, the gun, the design, their process or their business model/work ethic. Or some combination. It's been a painful frustrating process and I felt swindled. I will tell you that bolt is spotless after I shoot, it's an extremely clean gun and I am starting to have fun with it now that my expectations have evaporated. it's lightweight and fun to shoot and I can hit stuff at 375 yards with an SWFA 10x. However I would never give them another dollar.

Oh some random P308 design observations:
1. the bolt carrier will slide out of the upper without pulling the charging handle, not a problem unless you aren't expecting it
2. the upper/lower are pretty loose so I had to cut-fit an accu-wedge to reduce rattle
3. the ejection port/dust cover hinge pin has the retaining clip forward of the mounting ring instead of behind it so the pin can work itself forward. Not sure why, they could have grooved the pin right beside the dust cover and clipped it there to keep it securely in place. And the tail of the spring sticks up into the port a few mm

I just received my 2013 manufactured pof p308 16". I only have 120 rounds through it, but with fgmm it's sub moa.

I bought it because I couldn't find anything in its price range that was sub moa and under 9 pounds. I got mine new for $1950.

POF uses Rock Creek button rifled barrels in their 308's. Those should hold moa or better as long as the chambering, crown, etc was done properly. In fact, they should shoot with the best out there.

So, back to helping the OP. Imorhi, here is a post regarding the HK MR762: http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-rifles/227920-range-report-h-k-mr-762-a.html

The accuracy is so so in my book, but still pretty good.

Here is the LWRC REPR at 1000 yards report: LWRC International Forum ? View topic - REPR at 1200 yds

Hope this information helps. Disregard the piston haters.

So your "proof" is from the LWRC forums (which also is known to ban/censor people who don't cup their balls).......yea no bias WHATSOEVER.. Lets take 25 random rifles and see how they fair?

As far as the MR762.... its pointless. Its not accurate enough to be a precision rifle, and its too expensive/complicated to be a battle rifle. Who the fuck wants to spend $90 for a Magazine(If you can even find one), and be stuck with no spares or support. Better off getting a SCAR17, which will cost less, be more reliable, be more accurate, mags are cheaper and plentifull, better ergonomics, less recoil and a much better optics mounting platform.

And the tail of the spring sticks up into the port a few mm, ya stick your finger in there to prick it for a blood sugar check,

Rodo,

Its not just an accuracy issue. Its a reliability issue, a parts issue, a weight issue, an an accuracy issue. The 416 was an example of one of the better piston guns, that still has it's weaknesses. The MAIN reason they are popular is for suppressor use. That is why they were designed.... beacuse guys who run nothing but cans (like DEVGRU) on 10.5 and 14.5 uppers wanted something that would run more reliable and work in a martitime enviroment. Guys like Larry Vickers who helped develop the 416 (and other HK rigs like the HK45 along with Hackthorn) will be the first to tell you, a piston gun is inferior outside of a small niche'. You also have to realize that it was developed durring a time when the Short Barreled AR was still an experiment. SEALS like the 416 beacuse it works good around water, and runs well supressed.

Since then, they have figured out port size, dwell times, and other variables to keep a 10.3"+ barrel running reliably both suppressed and unsuppresed. Here is an Article from HK's website that Vickers wrote. http://www.hk-usa.com/-images/shared/HK M27 IAR.pdf. Even he says, unless you are running supressed, short barreled and/or very high round count in full auto, then a DI is a better choice.

You will also notice that Larry along with a bunch of other former SOCOM guys who instruct now, are not running 416 or piston guns as their primary rifles. Why do you think that is?

Lasty, to consider POF or LWRC as anywhere near the quality as a 416 (which has its own flaws that have been addressed on the accsesory market) is a joke. Also, a MR556 and a HK416 are not even close to the same gun.

Look at the high end AR industry, the trainers, the operators, the high vollume competetors................Ask yourself why guys are running DD, BCM and KAC SBR's when they could afford anything in the market. ALL DI guns.

This. And what "piston" guns is Chris Costa using, or putting his name on again?

I helped source some of the furniture for the original H&K M4 program for a guy who has already been mentioned here who was working for H&K at the time, and have followed its development into the 416, 417, and MR556, to include use of the carbines in my courses.

Guess what Larry uses in his courses? Well-built DI AR15's.
Guess what Kyle uses in his courses? Well-built DI AR15's.
Guess what Travis Haley uses in his courses? Well-built DI AR15's.
Guess what the guys who developed the Masada use in Magpul's courses (the company that said the AR15 needs the front sight pulled off and everything else replaced)? Well-built DI AR15's. Have you looked at the abortion that the Masada/ACR is? Bushmaster/Remington got sold a bill of goods on that deal.

So we have not only some of the world's most renowned high volume firearms trainers using well-built DI AR15's in their courses as the industry staple, but we have some of the most prominent figures who have designed op-rod driven guns, that they don't use in their own courses, yet I'm supposed to go out and buy one, or somehow believe this is the gold standard for reliability and accuracy, and that my DI guns are crap that will malf in a Chris Costa class?

I get to see how guns perform in the most extreme conditions, namely arctic, as in arctic, not cold, but in the arctic circle. High volume courses in the arctic with intermittent lulls are probably the harshest conditions you can run a weapon in, and guess what? Well-built AR15's/M4's are the gun to beat in my experience, unless you throw in the Finnish Valmet and Sako Rk series, which are an anomaly in the AK variant world, with magazines and brass-cased ammunition being critical components in their world-class reliability standard.

I've used almost every op-rod driven service rifle and assault rifle you can think of, minus the Indian and Indonesian guns, and whenever I hear someone claim that you don't need to clean these types of weapons, or they "run cleaner", a civilian mentality towards weapons maintenance is on display at that point.

Try telling your freaking team leader that you don't need to clean your gas block on the SAW or FAL, and in my day, you would literally get a well-deserved boot to the teeth. Spend time with your 1920's technology op-rod driven rifle over a week in the woods, mountains, jungle, or arctic, and tell me how your neglect to clean the gas block worked out for you.

In contrast, leave a DI AR15 family weapon lubricated with thick oil in the BCG, a chromed bore and chamber, and you will be much better off. This piston craze is almost as bad as the AK reliability myth. Spend some times with these guns overnight, day after day in dirty conditions, and you will have a totally different perspective on weapon's maintenance and reliability.

If you were a 1st-term soldier or Marine with crappy logistics support, your anecdotal experience with worn extractor, ejector, and recoil springs in a unit that was fanatic about white glove inspections has no real merit, unless you were arguing that there is a systemic leadership failure when it comes to having even the least degree of competency about weapons in general.

im prob going to get blown out of the water and flamed to death for saying this, but WTF.... why get a piston AR when you can get a DI???

How about everyone come back down from the heavens, stop the I know more than everyone else and everything thing I have is better than yours BS and get back to what the OP asked in the first place. The man said he wanted a piston ar, and wanted info from those who have first hand knowledge of the 3 he outlined, not our opinions of which is better gas or piston. Its his time and money let him spend it as he chooses. If you don't like pistons or don't have actual experience with one of the rifles he asked about, then just move on.

I am no precision shooter by far but I love my POF 308. Good value and more accurate then is needed.

Must have a "piston" driven rifle just to show friends and must have "good accuracy" out to 1000yds?

I have dealt with DI guns before and I really just want a piston gun even if its just to say its not DI.

Tell us what you find. To me , it's like saying, "I know what works, but I want what doesn't work to work just to be able to do it."

I would venture that any of the 3 mentioned can get hits at 1000yds after a few registers, in the right conditions with the right bullet, but I wouldn't expect any kind of vertical dispersion less than 1.5 MOA with those guns at that range.

You might consider the H&K MR762, but again, I wouldn't count on any predictably accurate pattern within a man silhouette at 1000yds with one. I'm sure there are some hummers out there, but to me, expecting predictable MOA or better at 1000yds = high end barrel + high end assembly, namely custom work.

I've chased the gas gun 1000yd 1 MOA effective range/accuracy standard long enough to have settled on DI, custom built AR10's and AR15's with top-end pipes, tight and square receivers, balanced gas systems, excellent mounts and glass, combined with the right bullet and load. I quit messing with the 7.62 NATO/.308 Winchester in that role a while ago, and went .260 Remington and 6.5 Grendel, and haven't looked back.

With the budget the OP stated, it makes zero sense to me to waste it on an operating system that fights what he's trying to do. At 500yds, sure, any of those mentioned should be able to at least ring an IPSC plate. At 1000yds, it's going to come down to the individual barrel accuracy potential, and the ability of the build quality to resist the secondary reciprocating masses from disturbing consistent barrel harmonics.

With a DI gun, that's all done for you on the cheap. I would have to evaluate the individual gas block and tappet or straight op rod arrangements of the other designs, but I can tell you from experience with the FAL, SVT, SVD, M14, M21, and H&K MR762 that the operating systems don't lend themselves well to consistency. It takes a lot of gifted gunsmithing work to counteract the inherent design limitations of op-rod driven guns to get them shooting well at 1000yds.

Last edited:
This is MY P308-11M-20. There are many like it, though not as many as DI guns. I am still learning how to shoot it. Bullets don't lie! I mark the targets up to stare at, remembering what I did where in the course of 30 rounds. The aiming dot in the fourth group got pushed sideways on the fourth round. It is still there. I am currently working on trigger control and follow through. The ammo is Georgia Arms 150gr "Canned Heat" and HSM 175gr "M118" HPBT.

The groups on the left were the only ones I measured. #2 is 1.4 MOA and #3 is 1.3 MOA (100 yards). I will stretch it out when I can hit 1 MOA average groups. Better weather will definitely help. This shows that the POF is capable of that.

My Spec's:
~ $3,300
Default P308-11M-20
Magpul BUIS
AD Recon 20 MOA QD Mount
SWFA 3-15x42
Harris swivel notched bipod on a GG&G adapter
Beaver Creak caps

I personally shoot piston guns to participate in advancing the technology. Even if my skills are not there yet, my money is! Hopefully I will get to a point where I can contribute with actual range (500-1000 yd) reports.

My shooting experience began in the 1980s with the M16A1. Reversing your hand on the hand guards was radical in those days! Off-hand was reserved for TAG matches, where I learned that M16 receivers are supposed to be tight. I always seemed to get assigned to mag stuffing, or some other range detail, which invariably required the disposal of the ammo alotment. It was completely admin, the CLP flowed, and the beat-up-in-the-woods DI guns (100+) still saw several jams on every range.

Then we had to clean them. Every supply sergeant and armorer warned us about breaking the gas rings. We just left them in the bolt, and I never saw a problem with them. Our armorers would run a pipe cleaner through the ports around the gas tube. I swear they had extra finger joints to get behind the chamber lugs. Then there was tactical training with MILES and blank adapters. Multiple hours were blocked for weapons maintenance.

The POF design loses the gas rings on the bolt. The receiver system is completely kinetic. There is no air (gas) pressure component beyond the piston. The receiver is NP3 coated, but I still run a light coat of CLP. After 100 rounds, you can pull the BCG with your bare hand. The gas piston and op-rod have no nooks and crannies. What there is in the gas regulator can be reached directly with a q-tip. I eyeball those ports with every disassembly. An oily patch exposes them to full diameter, every time. I have ~300 rounds through it with 0 stopages.

My LWRC M6 is even easier to clean, and the self scraping "piston cup" cleans with a rag. It is set up for three gun and plinking under 600 yards. Neither are as thristy as my Rock River National Match A2, which takes as long to clean as any other DI gun. What I am not going to do is strap on a blank adapter, or low crawl drag them.

Both platforms have improved immensely since the 1980s. Still, each style of shooting (3-gun, iron sight CMP, LR precision) is different. The fundamentals are the same, but the supports are different. In the end, the key is practice, practice, and more practice with each different style. You have to make the shot! After all, that is why we shoot!

#

Attachments

• RifleP308sm.jpg
    RifleP308sm.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20140208-tgt.jpg
    20140208-tgt.jpg
    805 KB · Views: 16