• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long range target camera systems

Shootlong

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
I was searching high quality spotting scopes and came across the Caldwell LR target camera system for around 350.00. I think this system would work great for my applications. Any one use this technology? What are its main drawbacks that any one is aware of. Thank you,

I was searching high quality spotting scopes and came across the Caldwell LR target camera system for around 350.00. I think this system would work great for my applications. Any one use this technology? What are its main drawbacks that any one is aware of. Thank you,

There is a member here who makes/sells a setup like that and it is a first class piece of kit, Trouble is I forgot who they are.

John.

I have the bullseye long range camera system . i know its not the caldwell one but i love it .
I did buy mine early on and ended up sending it in to have it replaced with the newer hd system
It is a costly system but has a lot of great features . I would recommend it. The fact that i can find a single
shot or a new group on a target that has multiple hits on it already is priceless and i save a lot on targets .

Dan

I also picked up the bullseye long range camera system and have been very happy with it, It works well and it is easy to see your shots with it, We have used it out to 600yds with no problems.

Reactions: John Gardner
For those of you that have the bullseye has this replaced your spotters/binos or is this just another tool in your toolbox? Obviously if you are at competitions it wouldn't but generally speaking if you were at your own range would you take the camera and a spotter or just the camera?

Thanks

I'm sure there have been a lot of improvements, and I'm sure the costs have come down on the commercially available setups, but the target cam I setup a couple years ago works great (I have exactly $408.81 in it) A member on here had a great guide with links and parts to make your own in the DIY section of the old scout site, but I'm drawing a blank to his name...and the bookmarked page doesn't work anymore... the thread was titled "ELR Target Cam w/DVR" or the like and he was using it successfully at 2400 yards.
Hopefully he'll chime in. All I can say is, it completely changed my solo shooting being able to see my bullet holes in the target.

One thing I do like about the Bullseye long range is the software they use makes your last bullet hole blink on/off on the screen, which makes it much easier to pick it out if there's other shots already on target. Plus I think it can measure group sizes. I've never used one, but it'd be fun to try out.

I'm sure there have been a lot of improvements, and I'm sure the costs have come down on the commercially available setups, but the target cam I setup a couple years ago works great (I have exactly $408.81 in it) A member on here had a great guide with links and parts to make your own in the DIY section of the old scout site, but I'm drawing a blank to his name...and the bookmarked page doesn't work anymore... the thread was titled "ELR Target Cam w/DVR" or the like and he was using it successfully at 2400 yards.
Hopefully he'll chime in. All I can say is, it completely changed my solo shooting being able to see my bullet holes in the target.

One thing I do like about the Bullseye long range is the software they use makes your last bullet hole blink on/off on the screen, which makes it much easier to pick it out if there's other shots already on target. Plus I think it can measure group sizes. I've never used one, but it'd be fun to try out.

I'm thinking that the BM who posted the brilliant DIY system was Diver160651 (four or five digits--) hopefully he can repost that content.

I'm not related to that guy at all despite similar board names, but I did think I might want to build one of those systems some day so I saved a copy of some of his information. I hope he does not mind me reposting the part of his info I saved here. He also had a lot of really nice videos of his system in action.

__________________Content below belongs to BM DiverXXXXX___________________________________________________________________________________

I recently saw the Targetcam from Targetcam.net so I decided to make my own.

Here are is the list of stuff I bought
2 12 v 8Ah batteries with charger from Cabelas http://tinyurl.com/mmbbcz2
1 Plano Gun Guard 4 pistol Case http://tinyurl.com/mrnkjul $30 ( I should have shopped around first. This case is only $14.89 on amazon) http://tinyurl.com/lfk4fsr
1 7in LCD screen From ebay $9
1 2ghz 8ch 800mW Transmitter and Receiver from ebay http://tinyurl.com/l53njrx $60
1 3.6mm Security camera ( I had extras laying around ) Any camera would work. But the 3.6mm lens was going to have the camera too close to the target so picked up this lens for the camera and switched it out. Its a 16mm lens.http://tinyurl.com/m2v7nzr
1 El Cheapo Tripod from walmart : $15.

Some foam sheets from walmart. To separate the screen and battery section

Some wires and connectors are needed

I should be able to get at least 1000yard Range from it.

There are some things i need to figure out on it.

Here is what it looks like so far....

[TC1-6}in downloads folder

I used a Snap-Off Utility Knife to cut the foam. The LCD is held up by 6 pieces of 3M 20lbs Rated Double stick tape plus the Strap that suppose to hold the screen to a headrest but i cut 2 slots in to the case to slide then through to hold the screen also. Ill take more pics of it when I'm done.

I have made more cuts in to the foam to hold both batteries and a Joby DSLR Tripod. I will need to cut a spot for the Transmitter and Receiver also.

The camera has a BNC connector that is converted to RCA and the RCA end plugs in to the Transmitter. Im pretty sure a RCA to VGA will work to get it connected to a laptop. as for a tablet I think you will need to make an app for it.

---
There is another method I thought I'd throw out. That using a wireless router and camera. The great thing about this is you can use an Ipad, android device instead of having to buy a screen too.

I purchased all the parts, and can't get the router to link to camera,,,, its one of those "smart" routers and doesn't have a darn plug! So I can't just plug it in. Just need the IP address of the camera, and can't get that until the darn router sees the camera, I'm sure a IT guy could do it quickly,,,,I am not!

So I can either buy another router, or the transmitters listed above and the screen. Basically just wanted to point out to folks other routes,,
---
So I got the transmitter and receiver in. I need to do some more trouble shooting on the transmitter as its not sending a clear picture through. It maybe a defective transmitter or receiver. Im gonna order another transmitter and see what happens

---
going to do a little add on to the post to help people understand what they are looking at when they are choosing what mm lens to get with their camera..

you will see below a camera with 2.8-12mm set to 2.8mm then 12mm.. then you will see a camera with a 8-46mm that is set to 46.. you should quickly get the idea for which one makes it easier to see the paper while keeping the camera at a safe distance..

I am currently waiting on my transmitter and receiver to put all of my items in a box together and I opted for a 2.4GHz 3Watt (3000milliWatt) model.. this should take the camera system WELL beyond a thousand yards.. but I will update when it arrives (scheduled for the 3rd of June delivery)

also that is a 7" lcd tv that was carried in store at radio shack.. costs more than shopping on ebay though..

{TC7-8}
---
Just got done doing some long range testing. The longest distance I was a 880yds. I dropped a friend off at one end of the street and reset my trip mileage in the car and drive to the other end of the street where it was about 5.5 tenths of a mile. Havent been have to take it to a 1k range yet but I don't see any issues getting 1k out of this system. I am wiring the camera and transmitter over so that it will be a fast setup when I get to the range. Ill post some pics up later

FINAL PRODUCT! Its not as pretty as a TargetCam But it works!

{TC9-15}
The sending antenna is a very small directional 5.8ghz 12+ Db gain.. Circular Wireless HELIAXIAL58 Helical Axial Mode 5.8 GHz FPV Antenna about $84 on amazon shipped. I am using this to combat ground effects. I also wanted somthing small that didn't need to be staked down in the wind or blow of direction when down range. I could have also used this on the reviving end.

(With the tiny Circular Wireless SPW58 Skew Planar Wheel 5.8 GHz 2db gain omnidirectional radiation pattern, uniform at 360 degrees in the horizontal plane,
$44 -- I got solid 2000 yard performance) less are available much cheaper -

Fpv helicopters are getting 4-6km with these two but that's in clear sky with no ground causing multipath interference.

For the receiving end I went with a large directional 16db gain antenna $34 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rectional.html again I could have gone with another $84 tiny guy with 12 db but had the panel from my last setup.

Divers system: DIY Target Cam
Not sure what happen to jummy but figured I 'd post my 2nd camera system build list-
Just in case there are other ELR guys on here were 1000yards is only part way there.

Again it isn't cheap and can be done cheaper- but I had goals that I learned I wanted from my first system:

Rough estimate: without tax and shipping over $1,000-

Most of this was/is overkill: But I want some features not included in commercial units-*

This is my second system, my first was destroyed when I dropped ALL the receiving stuff 15+ feet to the rocks below.*

Goals:
1- Everything including tripods to fit inside one small case
2- FPV and DVR functions to review miss when self-spotting
3- Control record function remotely
4- Clear image to 3,000yards*
5- Be able to work in the wind without having to stake down tripods (low and small antennas-no large tripods and guide wires to hold thing down)
7- Strong enough signal to over come multi-path interference caused by ground effects do to low tripods *rocks etc
8- Long 6+hr Battery life*(some places I set up can take me an hour to get back to the shooting area)
9- Easy fast set-up
10- Work prone or in a variety of situations and still not take up to much room if used on a bench-- did not want viewing the monitor while in the case

Build list:

$84 Sending antenna directional 12db gain
* * *http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...less_SMA_.html
$90 2000mw 5.8ghz transmitter
* * *http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/281296466135?lpid=82*
$210 for 4 tripods*
* * *1- Oben TT-1000 $34*
* * * * **http://www.amazon.com/Oben-TT-100-Ta...ble+top+tripod
* * *3- Oben 17" TT-300 $63
* * * * **http://www.amazon.com/Oben-TT-300-Ta...words=oben+300
$100*Camera 8mm lens 700TVL Weatherproof WDR Camera 1/3 Inch Sony Effio-p DSP
Array IR 40m
Part 2--

$100*Camera 8mm lens 700TVL Weatherproof WDR Camera 1/3 Inch Sony Effio-p DSP
Array IR 40m <1.8watts with IR and controls**(way overkill)
* * *http://www.apexcctv.com/p-1148-weath...ir-camera.aspx
$26 charger- can be left on even at full charge
* * *http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...MD6WM3YC4S4E47
$50 in batteries
* * *1 - $29 Sending unit*Power-Sonic PS-12120 Battery; Sealed Lead Acid; Rechargeable; 12 V; 12 Ah; Spill-Proof; ABS Case; AGM
* * * * **http://www.amazon.com/Power-Sonic-PS...nic12v+battery
* * *2 - $17 receiving unit PS1250-F2 12V -5ah
* * * * **http://www.amazon.com/Powersonic-PS-...2v+5ah+battery
$34 Direction 16db 5.8ghz receiving antenna*(also works to at least 2500 yards with a small omi- directional antenna).
* * **http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rectional.html
$164 for RC800 5.8ghz monitor/receiver and DVR
* * **http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Recorder.html*
$70 Case
* ***http://www.amazon.com/Plano-108021-P...=plano+aw+case
$20 hardware to extent to. 6' or just stick the sending unit into the ground or threading into the top of one of the tripods 1/4x20
$30 in connectors
$29 Molex connector tool
$50 in cables - video and power cable allows sending unit to be 40' from Target (when shooting into subsonic ranges, I wanted to make sure there was no risk to the unit- The camera will be covered with a Plate and much closer to the target)

about $100.00 in shipping and misc.*

Shot *it over a mile & tested to 4,000y - all works well. Make sure to have your antennas on before powering up transmitters​

---

Last edited:
Diverdon,
I think that is the same user, as his username and all that information looks familiar. Thanks for posting it.
After sitting for a long time, I got back into shooting recently and have enjoyed my target camera setup tremendously.

I have the Bullseye camera and it is not 100% reliable on my range. I set up and shoot (NRA) at 600 yds, 800/900/1,000 yds and connectivity is in and out. it gets frustrating. line-of-sight is clear but the range is narrow and partly lined with thick and very tall pine trees. i have their extended range antenna and it helps but still not as it should be. i am using both a laptop and iPad to view since one or the other may be connected, or not. i have 120 VAC available on site to power up the laptop and charge batteries as needed.
So my next step was buying a couple of better quality antennas in the same frequency range. I have a stronger battery for the camera downrange also. i am going to test over the Memorial day weekend and shoot Sunday and will let you know if it was worth the trouble.

Ya'll shoot safely. Remember the military this weekend ( Memorial Day )

I've got a Target Vision and have been happy with it. The people have also been very accessible and easy to work with if you have any questions. I've got the LR-2 version of it.

First time at the range today with the Bulleseye AmmoCam long range.

Works as advertised at 100 yards at a fairly congested (lots of steal, wooden baffles, small berms etc) range in DFW. (Halthom City gun Club). Works great except would not paint .22 rounds on a black bull. Am told turning on the night IR helps with this, but don't know how to do this yet.

Will try at 200 yds Sunday and report back. It really works well with white background targets and paints near hole in hole 22 shots with ease. Seeing each blinking consecutive shot really is a blast. Ladder tests at 200 will be a whole lot easier.

Also paints pellet rifle shots perfectly.

So far, I really like it. Beats the hell out of a spotting scope.

Last edited:
First time at the range today with the Bulleseye AmmoCam long range.

Works as advertised at 100 yards at a fairly congested (lots of steal, wooden baffles, small berms etc) range in DFW. (Halthom City gun Club). Works great except would not paint .22 rounds on a black bull. Am told turning on the night IR helps with this, but don't know how to do this yet.

Will try at 200 yds Sunday and report back. It really works well with white background targets and paints near hole in hole 22 shots with ease. Seeing each blinking consecutive shot really is a blast. Ladder tests at 200 will be a whole lot easier.

Also paints pellet rifle shots perfectly.

So far, I really like it. Beats the hell out of a spotting scope.
Well this is a reply long after the original post, but maybe it will help someone. I took the Caldwell out shooting yesterday. The camera worked very well. I could transmit directly to the iPad out to 800 yards. Past that I had to use the receiver. At 1000 yards there were no problems and very good images. We didn’t shoot past 1000. I will say that as been noted in other reviews, the clamp that holds the camera to the tripod broke on the very first use. I’ll be contacting Caldwell about that. All in all I am pleased with the system and would purchase again... even if I have to find an alternative camera attachment.

DIY

EFCACCFD-84CC-4B8B-BFA3-E7284038ED98.jpeg

F62B5024-0D76-4CA7-A7A1-89FF52D87225.jpeg

Reactions: stevenc23
I have the Target Vision 1 mile. I have had it operating out to 1800m so it definitely works as advertised.

I have the bullseye ... I guess I also got one of the early ones. But I got the extra "long distance" add on. I think that was supposed to make it work out to a mile. My experience was I could get it to consistently work out to 200yds, but only about 10% of the time out to 500yds. I live in the "Flint Hills" of Kansas. When I talked to the BE folks on the phone they acted like it would work fine on flat ground with no vegetation. Unfortunately, we don't have anything like that around here.

It anyone wants to give it a try, pm me, I will let it got for pennies on the dollar. Sounds like upgrading to the "HD" system might help. And living in an area with flat ground and no vegetation might help also.

The issue is the connection between the phone app and the target cam camera. They try to setup their own wifi network, but I guess my unit is not powerful enough to overcome the terrain I live in.

Not finding much on target cameras on SH. Anyone get the Caldwell and stayed happy with it? 1000? Thanks

I have the Caldwell, but have only had it out twice. The first time it connected to the iPad without even using the receiving unit out to 800 yards. At 900 and 1000 I needed the receiver. Everything went fine. I didn’t do anything but save images and one short video. Didn’t use the group sizing function which seems pretty rudimentary. The clamp that holds the camera to the tripod broke on that first outing. I replaced that with an inexpensive but more durable clamp from Amazon. The second outing was stymied because some dumbass who will remain nameless forgot to charge the batteries. The batteries were fine throughout the 4 hours of shooting on the first day. The clamp issue has appeared in other reviews of the system. Overall I am happy with the tool.

Getting the New Bullseye 300 yard version (not the Ammo Can one). Can anyone tell me the dimensions for this unit? I'm considering buying a hard case to put it in along with the tablet I'll use, battery pack, compact but not tiny tripod, and accessories. If I know the camera dimensions I can figure out what I'll need.
Thanks,
Larry

Not finding much on target cameras on SH. Anyone get the Caldwell and stayed happy with it? 1000? Thanks
Have had the Caldwell for quite awhile. It works ok out to 1k. Buy a better tripod...after that I use my drone. Mavic Pro. It works awesome for spotting and is also extremely handy for finding stuff while hunting.

I have the Caldwell, but have only had it out twice. The first time it connected to the iPad without even using the receiving unit out to 800 yards. At 900 and 1000 I needed the receiver. Everything went fine. I didn’t do anything but save images and one short video. Didn’t use the group sizing function which seems pretty rudimentary. The clamp that holds the camera to the tripod broke on that first outing. I replaced that with an inexpensive but more durable clamp from Amazon. The second outing was stymied because some dumbass who will remain nameless forgot to charge the batteries. The batteries were fine throughout the 4 hours of shooting on the first day. The clamp issue has appeared in other reviews of the system. Overall I am happy with the tool.
I have the same camera system and my clamp just broke. What specifically did you purchase from Amazon as a replacement?