• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

long range weapons for hunting

bullelk6

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2010
klamath falls oregon
my first post on site so if i mess up blame the fng.i was at sci and seen several outfits selling so called long range systems and wanted to get more opinions.best of the west is selling a 1000 yd shooter right out of the box.grey bull says theirs is good to 800.holland didnt make any specific claims other than theirs is a shooter.whats a new guy to do?

Re: long range weapons for hunting

talk to a gunsmith on here, I suggest getting ahold of wnroscoe, of LA precision rifles, he's a great guy to talk to and he'll help steer you in the right direction
wink.gif

Shoot, how far you gonna shoot to, and what you aiming for?
Most North American Game can be had with a 30-06, or even a .308 so long as shot placement is correct and the right bullet is used. A Remington PSS(24") or SPS(20") would work since they have medium/heavy barrels for sustained accurate shooting. If your hunt is a one round to two round affair, then a typical hunting rig with a light tune up wil be sufficiant.
Tactical LR competition, well, look real hard at what's in the 'Rifle's' section and go from there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bullelk6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for help dont want to waste a bunch of$$$$$$$$$$$ </div></div>

Putting $ into a quality rifle is not wasted $.

What are you hunting ? what conditions do you want to hunt in ?