• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Long term rifle/ammo storage

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
With the limited a availability of ammo and the time of shooting and looking for supplies along with cost I'm giving my guns a break. Not to mention I'm trying to get orders overseas and won't be able to take them with me. I'm looking for long term storage suggestions. I have soft cases for my Mosin and Mauser that should be fine not to worried about these two, just going to slide them under the bed. I've also got a .243 and AR. I'm considering getting a pelican case and trying to fit both in one case and slide it under the bed as well. Right now they are just in standing in the corner of my closet. Do you think this would be sufficient? Not saying I'm never shooting them again but probably only shoot them a couple times a year if that. As far as ammo ill be selling most of it off and storing the rest in an ammo can.

Like mentioned above, I recommend a safe with good humidity control. Be careful storing guns for a long time in something that is not airtight. Fabrics, sleeves, foam and such can absorb moisture and eventually rust and/or otherwise damage your gun metal. I learned the hard way when I had a nice custom Kimber stowed in a fake lambs wool like sheath (no perverted comments) in a range bag and didnt look at it for over a year. Somehow moisture had gotten into the sleave and rusted/pitted part of the slide. I have guns over 30 years old that have slight barrel pitting due to exposure to moisture in closet storage. A good wipedown with the appropriate lub/oil is a must from time to time. Of course all my ammo is stored tight and dry in ammo boxes deep in closets. I have good humidity control in my gunsafe now and that gives me peace of mind over time.