• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Longer Range scope and mount for AR-15??????

Rem7targetactical

KP Duty
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2011
Southeast, Florida
I have a friend who is a retired Navy guy and is 73 years old. He is amazed with my precision rifle and the idea of long range shooting. Right now we have access to 200 yards at the local range but can travel to 1,000 and everything in between. My friend has a AR-15 that we put a new upper on with a 24" stainless bull barrel with 1-8 twist. We mounted a bipod and upgraded the trigger and stock to the Magpul PRS. He wants a higher magnification scope and a one piece mount but I'm not familiar with this platform. He likes the idea of a lot of power to help his old eyes and I've been leaning towards the Bushnell Elite 6500 4.5-30 because it's a smaller body scope with a huge magnification range. Any other suggestions? How about mounts? I was thinking Nightforce unimount extra high? Any suggestions would be appreciated. We are planning on going to at least 600 yards and he likes the idea of more power than my NF 5.5-22X50 at even 200. Thanks.

I have older eyes as well so I use a 5-25 PMII. Spuhr SP-4016 mount. 0 MOA since I have a 56mm objective. Here's my setup.

spuhr_zps0669f2bc.jpg

I have older eyes as well so I use a 5-25 PMII. Spuhr SP-4016 mount. 0 MOA since I have a 56mm objective. Here's my setup.

spuhr_zps0669f2bc.jpg

That looks like a nice setup. 0 moa I understand for the clearance of the objective, but is this mount offered in different heights like most others? Or is it a standard height?

They offer it in different configurations of height and cant. I wanted to get as low as possible on the eyepiece and have plenty of elevation in the scope for 223s so I went with this one.

L

BTW, I looked at the others but the Spuhr has the cleanest/sleekest looking mounting system to the rail. The Spuhr also has a built in bubble level but I can't see it w/o my reading glasses so it's useless to me.

L

I am new to the AR platform. This ia a Burris P.E.P.R. Mount. It's pretty nice for the price at around 80 bucks. I don't know if it has any angle built in nor do I know when and if you need it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 19
I originally had a riser plus low rings on top which gave me 1.5" from the top of the rail to the middle of the scope tube which is a perfect cheek weld for me. Then I changed it to Nikon P-SERIES split mounts that measures 1.375" and this is to low for me. Also the Burris P.E.P.R mount was waaaay to heavy for me even though it measured 1.5". You need to figure out what gives you a comfortable cheek weld. As for a good long range scope have your buddy look at a March 8-80x56mm Tactical scope. HE HE HE wait until you see the price.

Attachments

• M4 complete 1 .JPG
    M4 complete 1 .JPG
    301.5 KB · Views: 19
  • M4 new rings .JPG
    M4 new rings .JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 26
  • WOA BARREL END .JPG
    WOA BARREL END .JPG
    557.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
I had the burris p.e.r.p. for a while. It was well built for the price but it was very heavy and bulky and it was a little high for me.