• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

longest COAL - bottom metal for 700 SPS B&C med A3

John Roache

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
SC
I know this could easily fit into a different forum, but who would know better the info that I am looking for than fellow reloaders? I have a Rem 700 SPS Tactical (308win) in a B&C Medalist A3 stock. I am considering new bottom metal, but would like some feedback as to which brand will offer a compatible magazine that allows for the longest COAL, if there are any differences!! I currently have the stock floor plate, and would consider modifications to it that would allow more room! Has anyone tried that? Thanks

Re: longest COAL - bottom metal for 700 SPS B&C med A3

Here you go:

First original AI Mags:

AW 10rd Mag 2.980" OAL
AICS Mags 5 or 10 RD 2.880" OAL
AE mk1 5rd Mag 2.980" OAL

Not sure what the ID is of an AICS mag with the plate removed.

MORTA Mags:

Type 1 2.850" OAL
Type 2 2.960" OAL

Seekins Precision Proprietary

.308 2.940" OAL
WSM 3.14" OAL

That's all I have readily available in my notes. However, my notes also say to really use an DBM Longer than the original AICS mag (2.880") in a SA Rem. 700 you may need to have your feed ramp notched.

Bob

Bob, thanks for the info, do you know what bottom metal the AI mags fit other than Badger? I can't see spending almost as much on DBM as I did the rifle!
Thanks, john

Well, Badger Ordnance is among the best, as are Seekins Precision, Ditto Surgeon DBM, VBull DBM, but they are all in the $300. plus range.

On the cheaper side:

CDI

CDI Precision

Hooper Ordnance just announced some new BM, very attractively priced here:

Hooper Ordnance

Wyatt's Outdoors:

Wyatt's Outdoors DBM

I'm not make any specific recommendations, on any of the cheaper DBM's, as I haven't used them.

That's all I can think of off hand, but I'm sure there may be others.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BobinNC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, Badger Ordnance is among the best, as are Seekins Precision, Ditto Surgeon DBM, VBull DBM, but they are all in the $300. plus range.

On the cheaper side:

CDI

CDI Precision

Hooper Ordnance just announced some new BM, very attractively priced here:

Hooper Ordnance

Wyatt's Outdoors:

Wyatt's Outdoors DBM

I'm not make any specific recommendations, on any of the cheaper DBM's, as I haven't used them.

That's all I can think of off hand, but I'm sure there may be others.

Bob
</div></div>

Please do not confuse a cheap price with cheap quality. The price here is an introductory price with a MSRP to be determined. These are made to be abused and hold up. Also a stainless and a long action version will soon be released.

Thank you for pointing out our new product. We are on our second run of them and things look promising.

Just looked at CDI, Hooper, and Wyatt's... they got some nice looking stuff! I particularly like that CDI and Hooper takes the AI mags. I understand Seekins has a new one coming out that takes AI mags as well, but I don't know when they will be ready for distro.
Anyway, thanks for setting me on the right track, sometimes its not so easy to find the info you are looking for.... but someone here is always willing to point you in the right place!!!
Thanks again, John