• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Longish range hunting optic choices

Sprayed99

WJK 4-9-18
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 9, 2012
    DFW TX
    I'm stuck in a dilemma

I have narrowed down my options to three and I need some help making a decision.

This will be going on a 16" carbon barrel 6 creed bedded in a EH4. This is a lighter weight hunting build that I don't intend on shooting past 6-700 yds. I'm wanting a good clear optic that will perform decent in low light when needed and track 100%.

Choices:

Mark 5 HD 3.6-18 with CCH (Concerned about clarity and CA)
    Eotech VUDU 5-25 MD3 or Horus (Concerns about clarity and CA, and difficulty mounting the optic at a low enough height)
    Vortex AMG (My only concern here is the overall length which is more of a looks deal)

What are your thoughts guys? Also I'm not really considering other choices do to cost or weight.

Ideally I'd like to be around 13-14" in length and under 30oz or close to it. Several brands are not being considered because of track record or resale, if I don't care for it once I have it in hand.

I would go vortex amg. I have one and it’s got great glass and turrets. Haven’t fondled the Mark 5 or eotech. What reticle do you like best? They’re probably all capable scopes.

I would go vortex amg. I have one and it’s got great glass and turrets. Haven’t fondled the Mark 5 or eotech. What reticle do you like best? They’re probably all capable scopes.

I have and have had several AMGs and have one currently on a 6.5 PRC. I also have not handled a mk5hd or Vudu. I like the ebr 7b, but the md3 or H59 would work in the vudu as well as the cch in the mk5

Reactions: Bangin
    Just because this is the hide, what animals are you shooting at 6-700 yards with a 6 creed? Not saying that you can’t kill something with the 6 creed at that range, but ....16”? Yes I realize that .243’s have killed a bunch of stuff, but I personally prefer a bit more forgiveness past 500 when something is breathing.

Reactions: stello1001
    Do you like your amgs? Or do you have an itch to try something else?

I have an AMG (EBR-7) and a mark5 3.6-18 (illum TMR). I would say it depends on what range you expect to make most of your shots, and the size of animals you intend to shoot. Both are very capable from 0-700 yards. If you are shooting smaller animals and varmints (which it sounds like since you are going 6 creed), the extra magnification from AMG will probably come in handy for longer shots.

Turrets - I would call it a tie there, I don't really have a preference for one over the other. Both lock which is great for hunting, both have distinctive and audible clicks. Mark5 is quicker and easier to zero though.

Tracking - both have been spot on.

Reliabilty - I have had zero issues with either, both have been 100% reliable for me.

Reticle - user preference.

Glass - IMO the AMG has much better glass, great eye box, very easy scope to get behind. Not that the Mark5 is bad, AMG is just better in this category. (I've been wishing for a mid power AMG for years, a 4-16 or something in that range. If they can replicate the 6-24 in a mid power range, shorten it up a little, and lighten it a few ounces it would be an incredible all around hunting scope).

It would really come down to where you expect to make most of your shots in my opinion. If you expect most to be under 300-400 or so, I'd go mark5. If you expect most to be over 300-400 or so I'd prob go AMG.

Last edited:
    Just because this is the hide, what animals are you shooting at 6-700 yards with a 6 creed? Not saying that you can’t kill something with the 6 creed at that range, but ....16”? Yes I realize that .243’s have killed a bunch of stuff, but I personally prefer a bit more forgiveness past 500 when something is breathing.

I expected this to come up. I say 600-700 because that is the max I will push this little guy on steel at my local range. Any game animal I will always attempt to get as close as possible, but I would say no further than 350ish max. Yotes and cats will be shot at as far as I practice if conditions allow.

I do a lot of my hunting with the 6 creed. This year alone I have taken 2 Fallows, 1 Axis, bobcat, yotes, and a blackbuck. No issues with wounded animals or unethical kills.