• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Look what followed me home.

GRIM

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2009
Wisconsin
I'm gonna keep it this time. I bought this DPMS LR-308 rifle on a deal over a year ago and immediately unloaded it to a buddy to finance something else. Found myself in need of a semi-auto 308 again so I called him up and asked if it was for sale. He said that since he got it he'd fired it only once. We worked a deal and I got it back. Added a couple of mods and it's ready to go shoot. Put a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 with the Rapid Z-1000 reticle on it. I'll shoot the heck out of the 1:10 barrel and then go re-barrel it with something custom and add a JP handguard as well. I'd like to time it all to when Noveske comes out with a switchblock (would have to use a different handguard, Daniel Defense I think would clear the gas tube) for the .308 and install that on the new barrel.
CIMG1781.jpg

Re: Look what followed me home.

It looks great hows that 1:10 shoot with 168 grain Federal Gold Match? I am looking at buying a DPMS 308B I know the first thing to go is the trigger. Any recomendations?

Actually it has the McCormick drop in trigger in it - I also added the KNS pin kit too. Feels great for semi-auto.
Haven't had a chance to go shoot it yet but I will next week when I get a free day. I'll test out Fed GMM 168 & 175's then BlackHills 168 & 175's. I've also had great groups with Remington 168 match ammo in the past with some of my other semi-autos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks great hows that 1:10 shoot with 168 grain Federal Gold Match? I am looking at buying a DPMS 308B I know the first thing to go is the trigger. Any recomendations? </div></div>

Zebra, FGMM shoots great in this gun. As far as a trigger goes, I have a JP adjustable and a Jard. I'd recommend the Jard. JMHO

Cool thanks for any info you guys can offer. I have been looking at the Armalite AR-10 in a 1:11.25 twist and the 18 inch DPMS 1:10 twist. It will be a work gun so I can only use 168 FGM. But the cheap stuff to plink and break in the barrel( fire lap)with. I wont be shooting past 600 yds.

I just bought an AR Gold trigger for my DPMS LR-308, I let you know what I think of it when I get it. Supposed to be better than a jewell and everything else from what I have read. Who knows though, could be crap...

I'll definately look forward to some range reports. I have the exact upper and am deciding which way to go for my lower.
It would be great to get a head start on what might work for my gal.

Nice rifle, i was considering buying one just like it.

Don'cha just hate it when those things follow you home? Just like a puppy... now you're going to have to feed and care for it for the rest of it's life...

Nice looking rifle, I have the same thing in a 260.

Well - made it to the range today. It was windy as heck so not a great day for shooting groups but I was picking my times with the wind and did ok (wind was from 9 o'clock and gusty at 5-15 mph. I think this shows that the rifle likes factory 168 grain loads. The 4th round on both the Fed GMM & BHills 168's was the one that opened up the group. It doesn't follow the SH group shooting guidelines but at least it gives me someplace to start. I'm also waiting on some Winchester 168 .308 match ammo to arrive and will test it out too. Used Magpul mags and it performed flawlessly - not one hiccup and bolt/carrier always locked back after the last round. This thing shoots as good as my old SR-25 did for 1/3 the cost. I also Dremel polished the feed ramps and took any sharp corners off the ramps as well.
CIMG1784.jpg

Thanks Ghog and Grim.
That seals the deal on my end. Now I just need to figure out what model I want and tweak it or just drop the coin for a SASS. It will be a safe queen except for range time and call outs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jawa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just bought an AR Gold trigger for my DPMS LR-308, I let you know what I think of it when I get it. Supposed to be better than a jewell and everything else from what I have read. Who knows though, could be crap... </div></div>

I'd really like to hear your impressions of the SR Gold trigger once you have a chance to play with it. I've been considering one for my LR-308.
I'd be very surprised if it turned out to be crap.
That would be one very expensive turd!LOL

Well I figured I would either buy the SASS so it has everything in it except a scope and rings, or buy one like you suggested Like the 308 B ( 18 inch barrel) or 308 T ( 16 inch barrel ) and just drop a single stage self contained trigger in it buy a Harris Bi-pod, mag pull grip and scope and rings. I ll have 2 Grand to use plus a little if I need it. But the Rifle will be in the safe except at training and call outs. The first issues I wanted to deal with was the accuracy of 1:10 twist using 168FGM and thank you guys for showing me that it does just fine. And I do appreciate all the advice.

If you've got 2K to work with then I'd go with either the 16" or 18" setup (just under a grand). Send your stock trigger assembly to this fellow (Bill Springfield): http://www.triggerwork.net/arparts.html
His prices are pretty darn good and he does a 4lb duty trigger setup, make sure to let him know the specific make. Harris bipod and backup iron sights and you're GTG.

Then with the leftover $ you can put some killer optics on it.
I like to run non-battery powered optics if possible. Love the Trijicon RX-30: http://www.opticsplanet.net/trijicon-rx3...ount-rx-30.html
Seen the battery powered ones power down at the wrong moment leaving the shooter staring though a blank window.

JMHO

Looks good!! I'm still waiting on my upper to come in. My built .308 lower looks so lonely with out it.

have 1 ar gold on a M4 type and had SR gold on LR 308 that I swapped on to Larue OBR when I got that. the OBR came with a nice match trigger but I preferred the SR gold for field/timed shooting it is my favorite, for long range accuracy AR I prefer a trigger that will adjust lower to around 1 1/2 lb

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjl333</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any new loads you've tested recently ??? </div></div>

After having the muzzle brake installed it now like Fed GMM 175 ammo. I'll get some pics of the targets and post them this coming week when I get back. Love this rifle & been using the Magpul mags in it.

I tried that new Winchester match ammo (168 grain factory load) in the black box. Didn't shoot well in my DPMS rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjl333</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any new loads you've tested recently ??? </div></div>

After having the muzzle brake installed it now like Fed GMM 175 ammo. I'll get some pics of the targets and post them this coming week when I get back. Love this rifle & been using the Magpul mags in it.

I tried that new Winchester match ammo (168 grain factory load) in the black box. Didn't shoot well in my DPMS rifle. </div></div>

Looking forward to your newest reports. Can you post a pix of the muzzle brake? I have the same upper.

Grim, who did you send your upper to for the muzzle break?

Pics of the muzzle brake installed by GA Precision. Great work!

DSC06298.jpg

DSC06297.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Needs a MAGPUL PRS.... </div></div>

I've got one for it but didn't like the fact that I lose the rear storage compartment in the buttstock. I kept the old buttstock and it's ok - but not as nice as the PRS no doubt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pics of the muzzle brake installed by GA Precision. Great work!

DSC06298.jpg

DSC06297.jpg
</div></div>

Sweet looking break !! Gonna look into it ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GRIM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: StanwoodSpartan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Needs a MAGPUL PRS.... </div></div>

I've got one for it but didn't like the fact that I lose the rear storage compartment in the buttstock. I kept the old buttstock and it's ok - but not as nice as the PRS no doubt. </div></div>

And the Magpul PRS needs QD sling plates...
laugh.gif

DSC00461.jpg