• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LOOKING AT A 300WM 5R

KUDA

General Spike
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Western ,NC.
Hey all
New to the site,Awesome to say the least!

I'm looking at putting together a 5r rifle/combo

looking at a 5r in 300wm

Are there any bad points about doing this cal.?

any input would be great!

Re: LOOKING AT A 300WM 5R

It's a great rifle and a good choice for a 2nd rifle.

It's not as good a choice for a novice shooter. The recoil, weight, expense and shorter barrel life are the negatives.

Past 1000 yds it's a winner over the 308, but range can be had from a smaller caliber like the 260 with less recoil, weight, etc.

TC

Good advice.

I like my .300WM, but some discover they do not care for the recoil.

Compared with smaller cartridges it requires more powder, brass is more costly, etc., so it costs more to shoot.

If you are just getting into "rifle", then consider spending time first with a .243, .260, or .308 (so you can shoot more).

Later you can add the .300WM.

Or just add a brake and enjoy a great rifle in a great shooting chambering. I say buy it and add the brake.

I would buy a more efficient caliber in 6mm or 6.5. Win / Win.
Less recoil, cheaper, etc.

Fast twist 243, 6.5x47, or 260.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3PER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or just add a brake and enjoy a great rifle in a great shooting chambering. I say buy it and add the brake. </div></div>

i have the Surefire brake on my 5r in .300WM and i love it.

where do you live? Do you have enough room to get the most out of a 300wm? It can be expensive to shoot and it a little harsh on the recoil. I would suggest something different for my first rifle. As stated above, a 243, 260 or even a 308. Just some suggestions.

Like others have said, the recoil on the 300WM is more noticeable than the short action chamberings. A muzzle brake or lighter recoiling chambering may be a good idea, but if you stick with the 300WM, which I am a big fan of, I would try to add some weight to it. Heavy scope and steel rings, bipod, etc. Perfecting your form also goes a very long way to managing a heavy recoiling rifle.

300wm is a great choice. Add just a little weight with say an AICS and recoil is no longer an issue. No muzzle brake needed. There are a lot of other great long range calibers but 300wm is my personal favorite.

I am in the same boat as KUDA, I'm just curious can anyone comment on the accuracy of the 5R .300 win mag, are they as accurate as the .308 versions?

I can't speak from experience, but why wouldn't they be. I've noticed that the belted magnums get kind of a bad wrap. I have a Sendero that is less than 1/2 MOA with hand loads. The 5R should top that.

I got a 300WM 5R that knocks 0.25MOA 5 shot holes with my best loads.

However, the real question is how far can you physically shoot given your location? If you don't have rifle ranges that reach out 600 yards or more, that is less of a reason to get a 300WM 5R unless you plan to hunt large animals with it.