• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking At A Remington 700 SPS in 300 Blackout

Re: Looking At A Remington 700 SPS in 300 Blackout

Seems like an interesting choice for paper punching and occasional varmint hunting.

The 300 Blackout really shines in the AR/M4 platform with the ability to shoot heavy subsonic rounds quietly. Super-sonic rounds give the AR/M4 the ability to have 7.62x39 type ballistics/energy. All of this is possible with a simple barrel swap. I have 300 Blackout 10" upper. Accurate and very quiet shooting sub-sonics with my AWC suppressor.

So, in my opinion unless you plan on shooting sub-sonics with a suppressor then there are better choices for a 300 yard varmint/paper puncher. An old-school 243 comes to mind. Shoots flat and can be loaded for anything from target, varmint, and even heavier bullets for deer or hog.

Another example. I own a CZ bolt action in 7.62x39 with an 18" barrel. Like I said before the 300 Blackout with supersonic rounds shoots fairly close to the 7.62x39. This rifle sighted in at 100 yards will drop nearly 2 feet at 300 yards. You need to be very careful with your range estimation and dope.

I was mostly thinking of it because I already use 300 in my AR. Since I reload it, I thought why get into another round? That being said the 16" barrel looks so ugly on a bolt action.

the 16" barrel looks so ugly on a bolt action. [/quote said:
BLASPHEMY!
shocked.gif

Isnt the 300BLK an up close and personal chambering? I think she would prob get more mileage from a 243.

Looks like they finally found a good use for the crappy stock, this cartridge won’t be shot far enough to see much change.

I load 155gr Scenars supersonic, extremely accurate in my bolt action, very low recoil and acceptable ballistics inside 500yds. I've shot subs too 700 yards and supers to 850. It's a novelty for me so take that for whats its worth.

The new Barnes 300 tac projos loaded to 2350fps should be excellent for small predators inside 200 yards.

Don't get spun out on the love it/hate it aproach, if you are interested in having one for your daughter, then buy it and make a judgement for yourself from hands on experience.

What is the barrel life like in this caliber?

I bet this will sell a little better than the model seven. I wish they would do a 223 with a 8 twist and the same short threaded barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HPCR59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the barrel life like in this caliber? </div></div>

With that small of a case I cant imagine it being that bad.

Probably close to the life of 223 if I was to guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phreakmode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I load 155gr Scenars supersonic, extremely accurate in my bolt action, very low recoil and acceptable ballistics inside 500yds. I've shot subs too 700 yards and supers to 850. It's a novelty for me so take that for whats its worth.

The new Barnes 300 tac projos loaded to 2350fps should be excellent for small predators inside 200 yards.

Don't get spun out on the love it/hate it aproach, if you are interested in having one for your daughter, then buy it and make a judgement for yourself from hands on experience. </div></div>
It has a very light recoil in the AR that I load for now. Groups are very good. Honestly I liked it because if she ever wanted to actually hunt with it she can. In New York the .223 she couldn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMMOWASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet this will sell a little better than the model seven. I wish they would do a 223 with a 8 twist and the same short threaded barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HPCR59</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the barrel life like in this caliber? </div></div>

With that small of a case I cant imagine it being that bad.

Probably close to the life of 223 if I was to guess. </div></div>

I wish they would also.

I would probably go with the AAC Micro 7 over the R700 for a factory rifle, sounds like it would fit your daughters needs better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phreakmode</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would probably go with the AAC Micro 7 over the R700 for a factory rifle, sounds like it would fit your daughters needs better. </div></div>Almost a $200 difference.

Micro-7 comes with a scope rail, M24 screw size, and custom cheek piece. It is $86 more, not $200 more.

MSRP yes, my cost, no. I can get the 700 for $658 with no shipping or transfer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yet Remington can't make the sps .223 with a 1/8 twist... </div></div>The LTR is 1 x 9

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gosu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MSRP yes, my cost, no. I can get the 700 for $658 with no shipping or transfer. </div></div>

I thought it was about purchasing something that met a percieved need not making a decision based on price. Buy what you want and move on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: phreakmode</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gosu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">MSRP yes, my cost, no. I can get the 700 for $658 with no shipping or transfer. </div></div>

I thought it was about purchasing something that met a percieved need not making a decision based on price. Buy what you want and move on. </div></div>Please don't take it that way, but consider its purpose, cost will play its part even if it isn't the biggest part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rsilvers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Micro-7 comes with a scope rail, M24 screw size, and custom cheek piece. It is $86 more, not $200 more. </div></div>

rsilvers-
what's the availability of a micro seven? and have they addressed the feeding issues i read about?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gosu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yet Remington can't make the sps .223 with a 1/8 twist... </div></div>The LTR is 1 x 9 </div></div>

Which is not a 1/8 right??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMMOWASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gosu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yet Remington can't make the sps .223 with a 1/8 twist... </div></div>The LTR is 1 x 9 </div></div>

Which is not a 1/8 right?? </div></div>You are correct it is not, but it is far better than the 1 in 12 that most are.

I'd get one, it sounds perfect to me. In fact, I intend to buy that very model for the same reasons. Not only that but subs with a suppressor are pretty dang fun to shoot and loading accurate subs for a 308 is kind of a pain.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gosu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMMOWASTER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gosu</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yet Remington can't make the sps .223 with a 1/8 twist... </div></div>The LTR is 1 x 9 </div></div>

Which is not a 1/8 right?? </div></div>You are correct it is not, but it is far better than the 1 in 12 that most are. </div></div>

But still mostly useless for shooting the really heavy long range bullets.