• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking at doing a .243 Win tactical/comp rifle

Re: Looking at doing a .243 Win tactical/comp rifle

George Gardeners load is on 6mmbr.com It is red I believe with a strong advisory that says to work up and with moly bullets only

I'm as interested in barrel length as powder charge. I'll find my own load... I'm just curious if he achieved that with a 26" barrel, and what barrel it was.

I believe he has a 27" barrel as do I. Mine is a 7.5 twist Schneider 5P. I'm getting 3020fps now with BN 115 DTACs and 42.5grns of H4350 in Win cases. I believe George uses RL25. Just checked on the link above at the bottom of the page and it has Georges load info and it is RL25. You should be fine with a 26" barrel too.

FWIW, George once told me he was using a 27" barrel. The one he built for me is a 26" Schneider barrel. I am getting about 3000 fps.

James

Having never competed in a "tactical" competition I wouldn't know what it's like.

The thread title says "Looking at doing a .243win tactical/comp rifle".

Anyone have any problems with that long of a barrel? (in a comp I mean)

Seems more like an F-class platform than a "tactical" one but like I said, I don't have experience in those comps.

Watching videos and seeing pics of these "tactical" comps makes me want to go so bad. But with school and needing more tools than I thought existed, I wont be able to attend one for years.
When I do though.... watch out
wink.gif

No problems at all with that barrel length at least for me. Hell my new 6.5 Creedmoor has a 28" barrel and I have no problem with it at sniper comps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm as interested in barrel length as powder charge. I'll find my own load... I'm just curious if he achieved that with a 26" barrel, and what barrel it was. </div></div>

I'm using win. cases, CCI priners, 48grs of RL25 with 115 dtacs in a 1/8 twist 28in krieger barrel and getting 3100fps. No signs of pressure but I would be careful and work up.

James

Most "tactical" matches do not require you to assume tight positions in vehicles or cramped hides so over all length has never been an issue for me. I dont like a total rifle package over 14ish pounds. I shot one match with a 17lb and it seemed a bit more awkward.

For actual deployment in an urban setting I would grab something like the LTR in a heartbeat. I ran a 26" PSS plus a brake and every once in a while I got the urge to pull out the hacksaw.

24" .243 for light rig. 28" .243 for heavy.

You can get them out to about 2.870" and longer if you take out the front plate on the AI mags.