• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking at FNH SPR A1 and Tikka Sporters.....any thoughts?

amedeo1227

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2012
Thibodaux, LA
I know that everything aftermarket is made for a Remington 700, I realize I might be making things harder on myself somewhat, but I am interested in the FNH and Tikka rifles. I feel like out the box, they will be exactly what I am looking for. Leaning more towards the FNH rifle, not sure what flavor exactly, but I will get to that latter.

I just want to hear what the hide thinks about it.

I feel like it will take me more money and headache to get a remington 700 to shoot and look as well as the FNH models I like. I would rather spend the extra money on glass. (More on that later)

Anything I should be aware of? I feel like if I go higher than $1500 on just the rifle, I might as well get a TRG or something like that.

Let me know what you think.

Zero experience with the Tikka'a but I have had two FHN spr a1's and really liked both and both shot very well. I don't know what they are using anymore for mags on those but the only problem I ever had was with the 4 round DBM... the springs kept ripping but FHN took care of me. I know FHN has a new mag system out now and one can also inlet for CDI's system using AICS mag's and PT&G now has a DBM also that uses AI Mk1 mags but the DBM is cut for the floorplate inlet so one would have some gaps to fill with bedding with that system if your looking at the FHN with the factory DBM.

They are Very nice rifles, I almost regret selling mine but I found a Winchester 26" Stealth that I like better after doing a little stock swapping. In my hands it shoots even better and about 75 fps faster with the same loads as my old 24" SPR but don't read into that too much as the SPR shot well... were talking maybe .2 moa better on a good day.

I can't help on the tika with first hand experience but I have a FN A1a and it shoots better then any other rifle in the safe. I am sure you are well aware FN spr's seem to fill the niche between a full custom rifle and a box stock rem 700 tactical at a fairly reasonable price. I can say with confidence if you choose the FN you will happy with it. Having said that "and already owning a SPR" i have been eye balling the tika's in the local gun shop and they look better and better every trip:)

I just purchased a Tikka Sporter 24" bbl in 308. It's very nice. My research pointed me toward Remington 5r, FN, and an upper range Tikka. All my research pointed toward the Tikka > remington before mods. I can't speak for FN. looks nice. The Tikka had everything I wanted. Great stock (for me). A decent weight to reduce recoil. Great trigger. Barrel is manufactured on same machine as TRG. Most reports claimed around .5 " MOA, but ill bet .5 to .75". I couldn't find a negative report on anything but the stock which I really like and small amount of plastic. I wanted a rifle needing no mods for now that would shoot lights out. Something to consider.

I have one of the FN SPR A1s from Tactical Coordination. Very happy with it. From a reliability perspective its hard to beat. Its all of the stuff from the 1903 and Mauser 98 that made those rifles bulletproof. There's no reason to get any upgrades to the rifle except for maybe an adjustable cheekpiece ($200 from Stockdoc) and detachable mag bottom metal (CDI, PTG, and FN).

The Tikka sporter is a nice rifle too. Maybe more in line with traditional target shooting. If I was getting one, I'd go with something other than 308.

Usually just a reader here since these guys are much much smarter than I but since I've often wondered this same question so I'll throw my .02 in, I own a Sako 75 in 7 rem mag, same company as Tikka. I've done a few things to customize it and its been a real pain in the arse finding stuff to make it better. The things that I have found to fit end up being pretty pricey as well. Just for example I have a dovetail rail instead of a picatinny rail and it made it very difficult finding rings and bases to fit a 50mm scope. Just some things to think about.

The ultimate question I think is how hands on do you want to be with it? If not so much then the Tikka will be a better option, If you want to customize it then go the Rem 700 route.

I've owned 3 SPRs in the past. They are accurate. The stock never really worked for me and I always had to use a cheekpad.

Because I did NOT want another .308, I just picked up a 24" Tikka T3 Sporter in .260. It's my first Tikka ever. Holy cow it's so nice for the the money ($1400). Accurate, simple design, great stock, adjustable trigger.

I'm now a Tikka fan.

My best 5-shot groups at 100 with the Tikka are 0.33" with 139 Scenars and 0.36" with 142 SMKs. The gun flat shoots. And doesn't cost $5000.

Last edited:
I have the Tikka Sporter in 6.5x55. While I loved the way the stock felt (exactly like the TRG), I did not like the way the mag was recessed into it and I also wanted to change to AI mags, which I did with the CDI Precision DBM. The stock was replaced with a McMillan A5. I can't say the stock was an improvement, ergonomically. But, it works just as well for me, so it surely wasn't a step backwards, either. So far, the rifle shoots sub-MOA out to 850 yards with everything I put in it and I'm only part way through my load development phase. I can understand if you don't like the stock, even if only for the fact that it's kind of ugly to most people. There are plenty of aftermarket options out there for the T3. Not bashing WhiteShep, at all, but the Sako 75 doesn't compare in the arena of aftermarket availability (but they are still amazing rifles, too. You get what you pay for with any Sako, IMO). The T3 is just more current/popular, so the aftermarket is starting to follow that. For performance, you can't go wrong with the Tikka. Even though I have no experience with the FN rifles, they usually get just as many rave reviews. It's probably just a matter weighing the small details against each other, in terms of what you feel you'll want to add/change with each rifle, or maybe the available calibers.

I've had two FN SPR's; the first generation with HS Precision stock (later sold to a Secret Service agent) and now have a A5M; love it.