• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Looking at new stock.

Lucky13

Private
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2010
Red, White and BLue
Don't know which one to get. I have a Rem 700 Tactical .308. I have narrowed it down to 2 y'all help me decide. Ill be ordering it when I get back from deployment in June.

1. H-S Precision Pro Series Tactical PST007

2. Manners MCS-TA

Let me know what you think. If you know one that is along the same lines as these that you think I will like better input that as well.

Thanks

Only the dead see the end of war.

Well, you wont have to bed the H-S stock, my SPSS shoots .5moa or better at times(300yds) with a unbedded PSV096, which Im selling, btw. Bedding a Manners stock will cost you, depending on the "smith" 300-400.
TSudSm6.jpg

I'm looking at the HS myself. It's within the budget and great reviews from what I've seen. Go for it and if you don't like it, send it my way!:D

Get the Manners with their mini chassis and you don't have to worry about bedding it either. If you have the money for the Manners it's an easy decision.

I don't care for the design of the TA. With that said, I have to vote for adjustable cheek pieces, call me spoiled :D

I have one T5A & another in the works... I also have an H-S on my Lazzeroni. Had to use a stock pack on the Lazz to get proper cheek weld. What is your intended use?

t

What is your intended use?

t

Well I would like to shoot things with it. Lol. I am mainly a target guy. Tactical Position shooting and long range. Mainly paper. But I do enjoy some good steel from time to time.

Still up in the air on which one though. Both seem to have good followings. I also looked. At the J. Allen Enterprises JAE-700. It's pretty loaded with features, but I think I'm a traditional type and the fact that its double the cost.

I hear you. The reason I asked what your purpose was is because some stocks lend themselves better to particular situations. The adjustable bits & pieces are great at the target range & in a hunting "ambush" position but kind of a PITA in other hunting roles. I'd say you're tracking right, if at all possible put your hands on both & see which one you like best.

t

I hear you. The reason I asked what your purpose was is because some stocks lend themselves better to particular situations. The adjustable bits & pieces are great at the target range & in a hunting "ambush" position but kind of a PITA in other hunting roles. I'd say you're tracking right, if at all possible put your hands on both & see which one you like best.

t

Makes sense. I wish I could put my hands on one of them. I'm in BFE Mississippi where no one else I have found shoots long range. Looks like it will be a blind buy.

When I get back I'm thinking about trying to get some interest in it stirred up. I am an active 4H Shooting Sports Rifle Instructor so I'm hoping when the kids I'm teaching get a little older they will be interested in long range.

Well, the H-S will be a bolt in & go. The Manners may or may not like it that way. What are your plans there?

t

I'm not sure. Although I don't like the idea of paying out the A** for a stock. Then paying more to get it to fit.

I'm leaning toward the H-S at this point.

The Manners very well may work just fine. Most people have them bedded (unless you order the mini-chassis). The H-S has the bedding block that "shouldn't" require further fiddling.

t

Don't know which one to get. I have a Rem 700 Tactical .308. I have narrowed it down to 2 y'all help me decide. Ill be ordering it when I get back from deployment in June.

1. H-S Precision Pro Series Tactical PST007

2. Manners MCS-TA

Let me know what you think. If you know one that is along the same lines as these that you think I will like better input that as well.

Thanks

Hi Lucky13,

I'm in a similar position. I have a 700 .308 20" SPS AAC

My continued research has boiled it down to
Manners MCS-TA
HS PST-012

The Manners seems extremely expensive, and reading your thread it seams that you need to bed it in. I would like to just plug and play! :)

So what was your final choice?

Manners makes really good stocks, I have the pillars in mine but did not bed them. They still shoot groups like this without bedding them. This group was with factory ammo during barrel break in. I have since shot a group under .25" when doing load development a couple of weeks ago. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366684209.332279.jpg

Last edited:
I'd go with the Manners. Great product, and even better customer service. Manners gets my money every time....

Can someone point me to a good deal on this Manners MCS-TA?

I'm having trouble finding it!:eek:

Thanks!

I'm a lefty, so I've given up hope in finding a Manners in stock...I'd just bite the bullet(no pun intended) and order one directly from Manners...their customer service is outstanding...

I've had excellent results on all my Manners stocks. I'm current waiting on a new build with one of their new folding stocks. Manners gets my vote if budget/cost is less of a concern.

So lets say I go with the Manners.. Can someone explain to me about 'bedding' who does this and how much does it cost.

I'm assuming here that a manners stock requires bedding and an HS does not. is that correct?

Thanks!

Hi Lucky13,

I'm in a similar position. I have a 700 .308 20" SPS AAC

My continued research has boiled it down to
Manners MCS-TA
HS PST-012

The Manners seems extremely expensive, and reading your thread it seams that you need to bed it in. I would like to just plug and play! :)

So what was your final choice?

Haven't chose yet. I get back in around the end of June, I'll order it then. I'm liking that we have the same exact platform to build from though. The SPS AAC-SD.

Haven't chose yet. I get back in around the end of June, I'll order it then. I'm liking that we have the same exact platform to build from though. The SPS AAC-SD.

Stay safe Lucky 13 and thank you for your service!
I sent you a friend request, it maybe interesting to stay in touch as we're building up the from the same platform.

Hey smcrea......just thought I would throw my two cents in here. I have two different rifles built up around manners mini-chassis stocks. One of them is the mcs-ta. It is more money, but my remington 5r came with an HS stock, and I have shot several others with the HS. The Manners is by far the better stock. Yes, it is a good deal more expensive, but I am here to tell you that the quality is above and beyond. The fit and finish are PERFECT. For what its worth, I have had better accuracy out of both a remington sps tactical and a remington 5r with the manners......a real marked improvement to the tune of a 1/4 moa- 1/2 moa. 1/2 moa doesn't sound like much, but its a difference at 6-800 yards. HS will be a good stock if you don't want to spend the money on the manners, but the manners is superior in every way, and if you get the minichassis version, there is no bedding to worry about. If you want to get the regular manners and have it bedded, it's not that bad price wise. There are literally tons of good smiths that can bed it for you. Just my opinion, but I've had more than one of both variants, and the mcs-ta is by far my favorite stock in the safe. Good luck, and enjoy.

Hey smcrea......just thought I would throw my two cents in here. I have two different rifles built up around manners mini-chassis stocks. One of them is the mcs-ta. It is more money, but my remington 5r came with an HS stock, and I have shot several others with the HS. The Manners is by far the better stock. Yes, it is a good deal more expensive, but I am here to tell you that the quality is above and beyond. The fit and finish are PERFECT. For what its worth, I have had better accuracy out of both a remington sps tactical and a remington 5r with the manners......a real marked improvement to the tune of a 1/4 moa- 1/2 moa. 1/2 moa doesn't sound like much, but its a difference at 6-800 yards. HS will be a good stock if you don't want to spend the money on the manners, but the manners is superior in every way, and if you get the minichassis version, there is no bedding to worry about. If you want to get the regular manners and have it bedded, it's not that bad price wise. There are literally tons of good smiths that can bed it for you. Just my opinion, but I've had more than one of both variants, and the mcs-ta is by far my favorite stock in the safe. Good luck, and enjoy.

Hi Travis,

Thanks for the advise. So how would you rate this manners stock for me:Manners Remington 700 MCS T (Monte Carlo Style) ADL BDL CDL SPS VTR XCR XHR

It's actually only about $60 more expensive than the HS camo stock that I was looking at. Would this be a good choice for a tactical/hunting stock? The bedding still worries me though!.. what would be the going rate to bed in this stock? I don't think that I'm equipped to do it.

Hi All,

Having spoken to a local smith who is very experienced and done many many 700's, and weighing up different pro's and cons. PLus considering that it seems the best thing to do if I wasnt to move to a DBM is to do it at the same time as the stock then I've come up with the following:

Manner Stock
Manners Remington 700 MCS T (Monte Carlo Style) ADL BDL CDL SPS VTR XCR XHR

- Action inlet Remington 700 S/A R/H
- Floorplate option Badger/Stealth
- Barrel Inlet Sendaro/Varmint
- Molded Gap Camo

Cost $500

With:

DBM that will drop straight into that Manners Stock
M5 Stealth DM M24 Detachable Magazine System - Funnel or Flush Models - *New Upgraded Mil-Spec Platform* (H.P. White Tested)

- M5 Flush Kit .308 5 round
Cost: $195

Given my rifle is:

• Model: Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD
• Item Number: 84203
• Caliber: .308
• Barrel.. 20" in length and measures 0.860" in diameter at the interface to the thread protector. The barrel has a slight taper and measured 0.901" in diameter 7.6" down the barrel at the end of the stock forearm.
• Twist: 1:10"
• Magazine Capacity: 4 rounds

It looks like the Manners stocks have 12 week lead time so I'd best order soon.

The local gunsmith will charge me $150 to bed the manners stock. It seems that if you ask 12 people you will get 12 answers when it comes to bedding, but he convinced me that the aluminum bedding blocks in the HS are not enough bedding.

So all in we're looking at around $900 if I include shipping costs as well.

So can anyone give opinion on this choice?

Thanks!

Last edited: