• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for $200-$300 scope. BSA, SS

DeauxJoe

Daisy Picker
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2011
Thibodaux, La
Looking at things like the BSA contender and fixed power 6x42 SS. What you guys think. Going on a budget .22lr trainer.

Re: Looking for $200-$300 scope. BSA, SS

Vortex Viper

Some Nikons are within your price range and you are talking about BSA??? Are you ok?

viper, wotac, supersniper. there is no scence in buying junk like bsa in your price range

Of those two, it's a no-brainer. Get the SuperSniper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">viper, wotac, supersniper. there is no scence in buying junk like bsa in your price range </div></div>

Isn't the BSA FFP model made by the same guys that make Wotac?

SS or 10x40 Bushnell tactical elite either will serve you well.

Get the Mueller Tac II. Fits your budget and a great starting scope for all guns.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">viper, wotac, supersniper. there is no scence in buying junk like bsa in your price range </div></div>

</div></div>

i didn't even know bsa made a ffp scope till right now. i haven't followed there line for a few years

Have a BSA Contender 6-24x40 on a 257Roberts Ruger Hawkeye. Probably 240 + rounds shot with it at range with no problems. Decent glass in it. Only gripe I have is the pull-out adjustment knobs for windage/elevation...easy to pull out too far, which allows you to reset to zero.

There is another BSA scope you might want to consider, same price range as Contender. Check out the Majestic DX scopes introduced early this year....have 2 of them, both 6-24x40s and on centerfire rifles. Decent optics, clear to edges, even at 24 power and side focus goes down to 15 yds, which should be good for a 22 trainer. This model has the so-called CEO lifetime no questions asked warranty.

Check Natchez for Contender prices and Grafs for the Majestic DX prices.....probably lowest price for them.

Another for vortex or wotac. The bushels would also be a good choice for a fixed power. I would also recommend Simmons 44mag series. Its like 6-21x44 with covered turrets and 1/8" adjustments, mildot, etc. Pretty decent stuff for about $150. It works well on my 10/22 and a friends got one on a 308 that's still goin strong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">viper, wotac, supersniper. there is no scence in buying junk like bsa in your price range </div></div>

</div></div>

i didn't even know bsa made a ffp scope till right now. i haven't followed there line for a few years </div></div>

Here is my review of it:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...695#Post2258695

BSA also makes this one that has gotten some good reviews:
6-24x BSA

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFutch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No one has mentioned the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical???????

OP here's a link:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?Number=1996097&ubb=showflat</div></div>

+1. My pops just got one on his AR and it's a great scope for 300. I'm thinking of getting rid of my 10x ss and replacing it with the weaver! On my 22lr I'm using a $130 mueller and have no complaints

I own a bushnell elete 3200 10x 40 , the knobs and tracking are great for the money, however at 50 yards it is pretty much useless, and out of focus.
And stay away from BSA. they are junk.
I would go with a SS, and would try to get a side focus if possible. I am in the same boat trying to find the perfect trainer scope..

I forgot to mention, a lot of people have been telling me to try a Mueller APT, they are only 170 , I am trying to find something a step up from that though..

I would not spend my hard earned dollars on BSA. Pure junk. Look at the Nikon Prostaff line for an affordable optic that will serve you well on a trainer rifle.

Just Got Lucky, I guess?

Every brand mentioned on this thread is good. Everybody has their opinion, and obviously some like to pooh-pooh BSA.
However, I guess even blind squirrels occasionally find the walnut, because my BSA Contender CT6-24x40TS AO is doing just fine on my DPMS LR308, all the way out to 1,000 yards, for several years now. ...No complaints, very pleased with performance and results.
Still, others have apparently had enough bad experiences with the brand that there must be some serious QA problems with consistency. But not with my example. Knock on wood.

I would say a used SS would be my choice, paralax adjustment is important. I ran a Falcon Menace 4-14 on a high dollar custom bolt gun in a few matches, it did't hold me back. I did have a major failure but was replaced under warranty. It sits on a 22 trainer now.

I read the reviews on it at the Midway site. Mostly good. A couple of the reviewers say they believe this scope is made for BSA by another manufacturer. One mentioned Falcon Optics as a possibility. The adjustment housing does look similar to the Falcon Menace style, and the reticule looks like one of the Falcon Menace offerings. Don't know if it's true or not. Most of the reviewers thought it was of much better quality than the usual BSA stuff. I may have to try one.

Last edited:
I have been looking for a cheap but decent scope for the .22 or the ar. I might give this a shot since it's not too expensive.

So we bump a dead thread to say we're happy with our POS BSA?

SS: Shitty Scope

Really? Have you ever used one? I'm thinking not, SS's have very good quality, reliability, and a proven track record. Some of the scopes in their lineup go up to and over the $1k mark and go head to head with most everything under $2k. If you actually used some of their scopes you wouldn't be spewing bullshit.