• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for 300 WinMag

BamaBrad

Private
Minuteman
May 28, 2014
Sold my 338 Win Mag and wanting to get a 300 Win Mag but not really wanting to break the bank on it. Not gonna be something for a bench rifle but would like something with a stainless medium barrel. I was looking at the Remington 700 with 5R rifling with 24” barrel and also the Savage 10T. I’d like a 24” barrel with a medium weight and stainless if possible. Though I would pick the Hide’s brain on some suggestions. Thanks.

I bought the 700 5R milspec 300 win mag 2 months ago. Its the 1st generation. I haven’t shot it yet. It at the gunsmith bedding the action. I like the way it looks and feels.
you may look at the Ruger Hawkeye long range. It’s looks very good.

Reactions: BamaBrad
I looked at the Hawkeye, wasn’t wanting to spend that much, if I didn’t have to. I found a Rem 700 Magpul Hunter for 650ish. And the Savage is a little less than that. Like to know what your groups are if you shoot it here soon though.

If you're not wanting to build a custom. I'd find a used Remington 5R on Gunbroker and start there.

He said 8 weeks when I dropped it off. Eight weeks was yesterday. Now it’s who knows with the coronavirus going around.

It was not cheap 1041.00 + tax, 100.00+ tax for the seekens 20 moa rail, 70.00 for Kristen cheek raiser, 2000.00 for a Vortex gen 2 razer, 130.00 for seekens rings. 170.00 for the muzzle break. Trigger 140.00, Magpul DBM 75.00
plus 175.00 for the gunsmith

Reloading 275.00 Redding dies + bullets + brass + powder.

The Ruger is the cheapest way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig and BamaBrad
I’m shooting a Remington 783 in 300 WM. I have a Criterion match 26” Bull barrel and a Boyds stock. It will do a 0.5 MOA group with hand loads.

Mike

Best bang for the buck for a 300WM is a used Sako TRG 42. You can find them for a little over $2K. Savages are trash and so are the Remingtons of the last decade.

Best bang for the buck for a 300WM is a used Sako TRG 42. You can find them for a little over $2K. Savages are trash and so are the Remingtons of the last decade.

They might not be up to the standards of the other rifles being discussed, but they definitely are not trash. Some people can’t or won’t spend the money for the high end rifles. I can afford any rifle you’re talking about but I like to build my own and they work for my role of primarily pleasure long range shooting. When I shot my clubs long range competition in 2018 if finished 19 out of 140 with my modified Savage Axis in 243. I don’t think the guy that finished 23rd thought so either. He was shooting an AI AXMC in 338LM.

Mike

Yeah and how many good carpenters or mechanics do you see using harbor freight tools? Do you think a $200 table saw cuts anything like a $10K one? Do you think a $2 ratchet will perform or last anywhere near as long as a $100 one?

You get what you pay for. If you think a bargain barrel Savage Axis or Remington 783 (literally the cheapest of their lines even) are comparable to everything else then you’re a fool. So what, you beat someone shooting a 338 AXMC at a club match, it obviously wasn’t a PRS match if that was the case so the experience levels of the shooters was probably very low. Send Jerry Miculek to a little bullshit match with a hipoint and he’s probably going to beat a lot of people still, but put him in a match with good shooters and that turd is going to cost him a lot of points.

I think my point is you’re being condescending to people can’t afford more. Is there better out there than a Savage, of course there is. Many people chose those rifles because it’s that or nothing. Of course you’d rather be a dick and call their rifles trash. I’m sure your mother told you if you can’t say something nice (in this case about there choose of rifles) don’t say anything at all.

Dude I made a comment that is absolutely true trying to point the OP in a good direction and you took it personally. My comment was in no way directed towards you, you’re the one that quoted me.

In his second post the OP states he looking at $650 or less rifles. That’s when you suggest a $2,000 rifle and call his choices trash. Maybe that’s all he has to spend right now, times are hard for a lot of people right now. I’d rather see someone enjoying shooting his Savage an learning to to the best he can than drifting off in some other direction because he feels he has no chance to afford a nicer rifle. There is a huge amount of info on this forum and I’d love to see him learn and contribute.

Mike

I have the 700 Long Range in 300WM. Only issue I had was my extractor sheared off on the 5th round. It sits in a manners stock now and it makes the hits as long as I do my part.

That being said, knowing what I know now about building a 700 up from the factory configuration, I would have went with Bergara and called it a day.

I guess saving your money until you can afford something decent is a concept you don’t get? It’s not like it’s a vehicle he NEEDS to get to work, it’s a non essential luxury item. He could save a little longer for something decent. You act like I suggested the dude go spend $20K on a ASR or something.

Reactions: LeftyJason
Hunting or range use?
Why .300 WM? (just curious)
Hunting use. Had a .338 WM and it was fun. 20” barrel but not what I was looking for, if you know what I mean. 300 WM, is what I am wanting for out west, but preferably a 24” stainless barrel. I have had a Savage and was pleased with the accuracy and I like the Remington 700 action and accuracy. Just being it’s a hunting gun not wanting to dump a lot of money into it but wanting the most out of one I get, if you know what I mean.

For a strictly hunting guy, buy a TIkka T3 in 300WM... Cry like a bitch when you try to zero it and suck it up. That's about the only thing you are getting in your price range that doesn't belong in a trash can. The HMR @ $900 is a much better value and is easy to shoot.

I could get a $2,000 dollar rifle and most defiantly would if I was shooting PRS matches. I’m looking for a decent 300 WM that will hardly get shot. I completely understand the difference in the application use and I have rifles set up for just that. 300 WM is just one I haven’t owned yet and looking for ideas from those that I know do and I know y’all do.

Bandit320
Did you not know that on the internet it's always the arrow,... never the Indian? I recall a story from some friends at Elgin AFB, where one A-10 driver had smoked more than 3, 16's an one 15 during train-ups. Although the hot rod drivers said sim training did not count,... Seems in a few matches around the South East have been won with rack guns an trash scopes as well, but remember it's never in Indian,...

Go look up what quality 300WM ammo costs......
I know, I was used to paying $68.00 +/- for .338. I won’t be shooting it much. Sight it in and take it hunting. I have other rifles to play with. I also reload which helps.

GunFighter,
I know what you mean. My brother was one of two AT-38s tasked to be targets for the F-15 fighter weapons school in the 80s. Despite only having GCI they kept killing the Eagles. The commander of the weapons school decided to solve the problem by telling them no maneuvering was allowed. As you say, on the internet it’s not the Indian.

Look at the Savage 110 Tactical in 300 Win Mag. Adjustable stock. Accurate. Handles well. With muzzle brake, pleasant to shoot. Much more dependable than the Rem 700 300 Win Mag I had. My Savage is the poor cousin to my AI AXMC. Barrel isn’t stainless.

I have a factory Rem 700 action with a XCaliber 24in 10 twist barrel, remage barrel. Hellfire brake, Bell & Carleson medalist stock, 20 min rail, Triggertech trigger with PTG bottom metal for detach mags. Shoots 208gr Hornady edlm's at 2850fps in bughole fashion. Ive run competitions with it and it has 0 issues.
$1500 Hit me up if you want pictures.

Look at Brownells and the Howa actions they sell. You can pickup 300 WM for 528$. And if you search the Hide forums, you can find a 50$ off code. Then put it in a Bell and Carson stock for another 285$.

Another option is just to build it. I picked up a 300 WM Remingtion action form Buds for 350$ a few months back and plan on using a Remage barrel for another 425$ with it. The stock I plain on using is the KRG Bravo, which will be another 429$.

With building your own, you will have to add in another 150$ for the action wrenches and GO and NO-GO gauges. But it will allow you to change the barrel to a different magnum caliber, 264WM, 7MM, 338WM and even 300 PRC with the correct gauges. This route you will give you more use from it.