• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a .22LR rifle

Mopseydocks6014

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2008
Wyoming
That is one rifle that I don't have and regret that. I have some specifications though.

-Be very light
-Most likely bolt action
-I'd prefer a magazine (but tube ok)
-Very smooth, fast bolt

Thanks in advance

Re: Looking for a .22LR rifle

Anschutz 1712!!! You can buy it thru champions choice in a McMillan fiberglass or graphite stock, pillar bedded and choice of a single or double stage trigger.
Champion shooter supply has them in a walnut stock
Pros
Can shot 1 MOA at 100 yards if matched right.
great trigger
overall weight & balance
sling swivels
11mm dovetail rail cut into the receiver

cons
-Price (barreled action is $1050 last I saw)
- Factory Mags can run $50 ( but brownells sells Savage mags the work 100% if you trim alittle metal)

But then again, it'll be the only bolt .22 you'll ever need.
Buy once cry once
smile.gif

GL! keep us posted

I don't think I want a target gun. I want something that I can take into the hills.

You can take it to the hills!
though it would break my heart to drop it
frown.gif

how bout the CZ 452 they make a silhouette version in graphite
prob $400

Savage for the price, CZ 452 for the beauty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Carey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage for the price, CZ 452 for the beauty. </div></div>

Bingo.

I think I'll be looking for a Mark II. There seems to be enough variations to whet my appetite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mopseydocks6014</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think I want a target gun. I want something that I can take into the hills. </div></div>

Maybe you ought to look at the gun before you describe it as a "target gun" there dude. Maybe wood, maybe synthetic, but light and portable. It just SHOOTS like a target gun.

For less money, any CZ 452/453 model will serve. VERY good barrels, good and improvable triggers, very well made.

On a budget, Savage MKII with AccuTrigger is phenomnal value for dollar, if cheaply manufactured. Good barrels.

You will not go wrong with a CZ 452 or 453 American. They are very good looking , light handle well , and when matched with the right ammo will shoot with guns 3x there price.
You may want to look at some of the toggle bolt (biathlon) rifles they are very smooth and fast , they carry well and shoot great. The best part is they are not run of the mill rimfier rifles.

CZ 452 varmint, wild dog varmint stock and get the $15 trigger kit. Use it to hunt with then stick a bipod on and go shoot some groups, great, inexpensive, sturdy little gun. I love mine.

I have a CZ american and the varmit the american shoots the best.Won several sqirrel gun shoots with it.

Look for a good used Remington 581. Probably one of the best deals ever in a 22 rifle. 5 and 10 round mags., very accurate, affordable price. Tom.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look for a good used Remington 581. Probably one of the best deals ever in a 22 rifle. 5 and 10 round mags., very accurate, affordable price. Tom. </div></div>

You done said a mouthful, there. 'Bout sprained my arm a few years ago at a gunshow when I ran across a lefty 581 when it had become apparent my son was sinister oriented. Left bolt, right port like a 788. These had popularity amongst silhouette shooters at one time.

This a very common request.

I like simple and I like Savage. Bought a used MKIIF a decade ago, and it's still going strong. My only complaint about the newer ones is they aren't grooved for the .22 rings like my old one is. That complaint is far outweighed by the introduction of the Accu-Trugger.

I prefer the sporter weight barrel. I think the weight of the barrel has a bunch less to do with accuracy on a .22LR than it does with centerfire. The lightweight barrel makes for better balance and ease on a long carry. A sling if you must, but I don't.

I have a $79 Tasco 6-24x42 Mildot scope mounted on mine, and ten 10-rd magazines. Add a Harris Bipod, and you have a decent, inexpensive trainer.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Look for a good used Remington 581.</div></div>

I learned to shoot on a 581. It's still sitting in the back of my gunsafe right now. Even with the sporter barrel on it, it is very accurate.

I can complain with my Remington model 504 i have the .22lr version and it just has a little leupold rifleman 3-9x40 scope. pair this with CCI quickshoks and it is one gopher getter its a great little gun.

+1 Anschutz 1712

I won't say that it's light for a 22lr. But in all other catagorys nothing else will touch it. I have other 22lr's that I like shooting too, but this is the only one that gives you benchrest accuracy in a sporter. My 452 is accurate, and my TR is coming along, but none of them really can compare. I look at it like this, the CZ and Savage are like buying a nice factory gun, while the Anschutz is like buying a GAP or a Tacops. I use mine every weekend squirrel hunting and take it to the range when I need to prove a point. Their hunting/competition guns and do both better than most.
Their just that good!

Marlin mdl 60. It is semi-auto, but accurate.

Bolt gun, Weatherby XXII, or CZ Silhouette. Weatherby has Anchutz action.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dan Carey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Savage for the price, CZ 452 for the beauty. </div></div>+1 on this. Really depends on what you are looking for. It appears you are looking for a hunting,plinking rifle.

I have recently purchased the MKII BVTSS stainless varmit with thumbhole stock and I just love it. Had my smith thread it and it makes for a fine host gun with Aguilla SubSonics. It's the 2nd MKII I have shot in about a year and they always seem to do well, and after owning several Winchester 52's over the years I got to say the quality for a $350~ is fantastic.

I have not been able to find any of the CZ452 American's (Threaded from factory) up for sale locally but hope to purchase one in the near future.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SCRich</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have recently purchased the MKII BVTSS stainless varmit with thumbhole stock and I just love it. Had my smith thread it and it makes for a fine host gun with Aguilla SubSonics. It's the 2nd MKII I have shot in about a year and they always seem to do well, and after owning several Winchester 52's over the years I got to say the quality for a $350~ is fantastic.</div></div>

That is the one I have (although mine was the darker "Dick's Special"). I will probably get it in to have the barrel threaded for my Outback II soon. That will be an absolute blast.

BTVS_2891.jpg

I also have a BVTSS. I'm very impressed with it. While getting drops for the rifle I ended at 120 yards. I shot a 3 round (I know only 3 shots) on steel, I could cover the paint chip with a dime. Shot a 5-shot group in a local BR comp at 50 yards that went .400 and my bench rest skills are poor to say the least. It shoots SK Standard Plus well.

CZ 452s have a legion of fans...and for good reason. If I knew about CZz in the beginning, it would be the only 22 in my safe. It's very easy to give a CZ a trigger job and the rifle shoots flat out amazing....except that one day when I didn't mount the scope quite right on the picatinny rail.
smile.gif

Anyway, check out this website for a wealth of info on different 22s: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php