• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Looking for a ~$300 mil/mil scope

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
Hello everyone!

first post here, I'll be putting up couple more threads on here, but I'm looking to make a precision rifle with the budget that I have. around 500-600 bucks. I'm not looking for a tack driver, but to an extent I guess. I'm a pretty good shot and I'm capable of constantly hitting 300m targets in the army with BUIS or red dot. so I should have 0 problems hitting what I inted to hit with accuracy with a R700 rifle.

ANYWAYS, I'll start a thread on the rifles, but what I wanted to ask here is, can you guys reccomend a good scope for around 300 bucks that is illuminated, uses mildot and has a range adjustment.

I looked at opticsplanet and this one seemed to fit the bill (and the fact that it won their award if it means anything)

Millett 4-16x50

if you have any suggestions, it's greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Looking for a ~$300 tactical scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KNIGHT11B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Prepare yourself.

And <span style="text-decoration: line-through">if</span> <span style="font-weight: bold">WHEN</span> it happens remember... The beatings will continue until moral improves. </div></div>

Fixed.

Ok, here's a little warning.

I would erase your post and start with something that doesn't make you sound like an idiot.

First, it's not a "sniper" rifle.

Second, $600 is a very low budget. You're going to buy used and it's going to be of decent quality at best.

Read a lot more and don't post again until you get a grasp on reality.

I'm not "telling" you to do this, just a friendly suggestion.

it's alright. I knew this would be coming, I'm very new to this area so throw the flame, I got my suit on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, here's a little warning.

I would erase your post and start with something that doesn't make you sound like an idiot.

First, it's not a "sniper" rifle.

Second, $600 is a very low budget. You're going to buy used and it's going to be of decent quality at best.

Read a lot more and don't post again until you get a grasp on reality.

I'm not "telling" you to do this, just a friendly suggestion. </div></div>

I know 600 is a low budget. and it's all I have. with the correct used rifle and a scope for around 200-300 bucks, it's doable.

Just ask for forgiveness and do a search!

the millett isnt bad, i have one. for $300 in mil/mil its one of the few "bargains" you can find. others are the bushnell 3200 in mil/mil from midway only at $175 on sale. another midway exclusive is the weaver tactical 3-10 in mil/mil on sale now for $300. there is a 3-9x SuperSniper in mil/mil for sale now in optics. there is also the falcon line from the UK. i believe SWFA carries them. now if you dont care about mil/mil, you have more choices. for those i suggest you read alot of this section of the forum and look for posts like your's, there are always 3 or 10 going as people dont want to read it seems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the millett isnt bad, i have one. for $300 in mil/mil its one of the few "bargains" you can find. others are the bushnell 3200 in mil/mil from midway only at $175 on sale. another midway exclusive is the weaver tactical 3-10 in mil/mil on sale now for $300. there is a 3-9x SuperSniper in mil/mil for sale now in optics. there is also the falcon line from the UK. i believe SWFA carries them. now if you dont care about mil/mil, you have more choices. for those i suggest you read alot of this section of the forum and look for posts like your's, there are always 3 or 10 going as people dont want to read it seems. </div></div>

I appreciate the input sir.

I do my forum search reverse, I usually post then start searching to my post gets built up while I do my research, usually lands me in trouble with forum nazis. oh well. thanks for your repose though.

just imagine a dream where you get asked the same question by different people and the answers are all written down behind you on the wall. pretty soon you really dont even have the energy to turn around and point to the wall or even say "look behind me on the wall" you just want to slam someones head into the wall, lol. i used to help alot when i first started ad never understood why people were so pissy til i got that way myself after answering the same 5 or 10 questions over and over.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just imagine a dream where you get asked the same question by different people and the answers are all written down behind you on the wall. pretty soon you really dont even have the energy to turn around and point to the wall or even say "look behind me on the wall" you just want to slam someones head into the wall, lol. i used to help alot when i first started ad never understood why people were so pissy til i got that way myself after answering the same 5 or 10 questions over and over. </div></div>

This isn't my 1st forum, when that happens, I usually just don't respond. altough, when I was younger and sat infront of the computer all the time, it was fun to pick on the noobs.

I dunno, I just don't post when I'm sick of seeing it. someone else is always willing to help though.

wil the millett handle a .30-06? between that and the other ones you mentioned, the millett seems like a better deal I think?

Save up your money, until you have enough to buy a decent setup.
You can get a:
1) super sniper 10x ($250 used),
2) sps tactical ($500 used),
3) EGW base and rings ($100 base and rings together)

thats $850, which is $200 more than your current budget, and should keep you shooting for a good while. Then you can upgrade the stock and optics later as your knowledge/budget improves. The cost of a decent setup,...$850, using the word sniper in a first post,...priceless.

that's my plan.

I can't tell much of a diff between SPS tactical and the ADL series though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that's my plan.

I can't tell much of a diff between SPS tactical and the ADL series though. </div></div>

SPS Tac has a Hogue stock, factory 20" bull barrel, and an internal box magazine with bottom metal. The ADL generally has a wood stock, slim taper barrel and blind magazine.

I'm planning on changing the stock in the near future. I do wish I could afford a DM version, but again. for not I won't be able to...

can I use a stock that accepts magazines, or do I have to change other things on the rifle to make it accept magazines?

I was looking at the AICS stocks, but 1. I couldn't find a long action version, and also I'm not sure if one with a magazine will work?

Actually changing your subject line to:
"Looking for a ~$300 Mil dot scope"
would save a little punishment...but only a little.

the millett will hold up. the weaver 3-10x would be the only other one id get. im looking at that one for my gas gun. i made the mil/mil switch and now everything has to be that way, lol. ideally ill buy one really good high dollar scope and the millett will go to the gasser, and everything will get handed down. for the money, its hard to beat the features of the millett. they were crappy when they first came out but i think they have fixed the bugs with the latest mil/mil version as i havent really heard too much bad about them recently. warranty is great. i plan on a bushnell excursion spotter with mil reticle and a bushnell ARC rangefinder to round out my kit

Yeah, that SS (fixed power) and the weaver both look great as well.

one of the reasons I like the light is because when i'm shooting black targets (ouch) it becomes very hard to see the reticle. I use the VTAC targets, so it can get pretty hard to see the black reticle on a black backdrop

gotta decide if you want mil/moa or mil/mil. there is another thread like this and these same scopes are all mentioned there as well for choices in the mil/mil field.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mil/mil for sure. </div></div>

exclude the SS line except the higher dollar versions like the 3-9x for sale now in optics.

1 bushnell 10x 3200 from midway $175 on sale
2 weaver 3-10x from midway $300 on sale
3 millett 4-16x, sf, illum ret $300ish
4 falcon, model unknown

SWFA 10x42 is gtg. I've been using it as a starter scope and its well worth the money. Good glass and tracks well. Only thing is it is mil/moa.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm planning on changing the stock in the near future. I do wish I could afford a DM version, but again. for not I won't be able to...

can I use a stock that accepts magazines, or do I have to change other things on the rifle to make it accept magazines?

I was looking at the AICS stocks, but 1. I couldn't find a long action version, and also I'm not sure if one with a magazine will work? </div></div>

If your optic budget is $300 then a DBM/mag setup will really hurt. With a McMillan or AICS you're lookin at $750-$850, and if you can get a Bell & Carlson inletted then you're still lookin at $500+. Then extra mags are $60-100 a pop. I'd hold off. You don't gain much with a mag conversion other than quicker reload. Spend the money on optics.

just a few words "USE THE HIDE SEARCH ENGINE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtOne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Actually changing your subject line to:
"Looking for a ~$300 Mil dot scope"
would save a little punishment...but only a little. </div></div>

If he did that i would chime in.

Ive got the SPS Tac right now (only mines a .223) and im planning on putting a Nikon Buckmasters with mil dots (no i dont quite know how to "properly" use them,but they sure help me with kentucy windage)

By the time i get the Scope i will have about $650 into the gun. Is it as nice as a lot of the guns on here? no
will it shoot as good? no
but for a kid working his ass off barely making min wage it will be a shooter in my eyes. (already out shoots me though)

Oh and im also subbing to this post to see if a better scope doesnt pop up. the Buckmaster is right at $299 but if a better one comes along i might change.

What exactly do YOU mean by a "tactical" scope???

Your <span style="font-style: italic">precision</span> rifle will have to have precision base and rings. And that is another $200+ by the way...

I used the term tactical, because that's what all these mil scopes on optics planet were under. You'll have to excuse that I'm new to the terminology. I changed it all...

I really want the millett's illumination, because shooting black colored targets with a black reticle is hard. A little color helps a lot.

But besides the illumination, I don't feel anything for the millett.

The weaver is just what I'm looking for minus no illumination.

The Burris is a great priced scope. Wish it had magnification (gonna check the 4200 now)

The ss isn't mil/mil, so I wish it was.

I also read that the millett's mil dots are very small. Like 1/3 of the army mildots. Is it hard to see, distinguish?

no issues with my millett. dots dont look small at all. look at the SS in the optics area, its almost 1/2 of new at $450. cant say if its illuminated. you are limited on the selection by your costs and the market not realizing we all cant afford to drop $$$ on a mil/mil scope. they are just starting to appear at the lower price points. you can wait or you can settle or you can raise your budget

I looked at ss. The one I could afford is mil/moa. I want mil/mil. I'll be learning with this platform, so I want to get into mil/mil to begin with.

Does the army use mil/mil? I'm trying to go into sniper school within my unit. Just curious

search the optics for sale for a used millett trs. with the warranty, there are no worries.

Taseal, I'm about in the same boat as you. Low budget, but want to get something decent to learn on. I just picked up an SPS-V for $499 + extortion fees, and a $29.90 EGW 20 moa base.

Looking for a scope to learn with that will eventually end up on something else, like a 10/22. But for now, I want to figure all this stuff out, and have something adequate for the time being. I'm probably going to be shooting 100-300 yards 95% of the time, and it will all be for fun, so I can't justify spending a fortune on a 'Ferrari', when the 'Honda Civic' will work for now.

I'm leaning toward the Millett TRS-1, because of the 4-16x power. Probably a ton of overkill at the distance I'll be shooting, but everything will be stationary, and I'll have my time, so I want that option. However the Super Sniper 10x is appealing.

For the TRS-1, I've only seen the MilDot, with 1/4 moa adjustment. Is there one that is a Mil/Mil? What would the advantages be for one over the other, for someone that is just learning?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BlindRacer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taseal, I'm about in the same boat as you. Low budget, but want to get something decent to learn on. I just picked up an SPS-V for $499 + extortion fees, and a $29.90 EGW 20 moa base.

Looking for a scope to learn with that will eventually end up on something else, like a 10/22. But for now, I want to figure all this stuff out, and have something adequate for the time being. I'm probably going to be shooting 100-300 yards 95% of the time, and it will all be for fun, so I can't justify spending a fortune on a 'Ferrari', when the 'Honda Civic' will work for now.

I'm leaning toward the Millett TRS-1, because of the 4-16x power. Probably a ton of overkill at the distance I'll be shooting, but everything will be stationary, and I'll have my time, so I want that option. However the Super Sniper 10x is appealing.

For the TRS-1, I've only seen the MilDot, with 1/4 moa adjustment. Is there one that is a Mil/Mil? What would the advantages be for one over the other, for someone that is just learning? </div></div>

gotta read better or more

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">mil/mil for sure. </div></div>

exclude the SS line except the higher dollar versions like the 3-9x for sale now in optics.

1 bushnell 10x 3200 from midway $175 on sale
2 weaver 3-10x from midway $300 on sale
3 millett 4-16x, sf, illum ret $300ish
4 falcon, model unknown </div></div>

the benefits or difference of mil/mil over mil/moa are listed in the FAQ section

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=378812#Post378812

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AXEMAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
gotta read better or more

the benefits or difference of mil/mil over mil/moa are listed in the FAQ section</div></div>

I think it will have to 'read better', because I've read that FAQ about 4 or 5 times now.

And for some reason, I totally forgot that the TRS-1 came in a .1mil adjustment version.

Thanks

Blind,

the TRS-1 is mil/mil or 1/4 moa. you get to choose when you buy it.

the benefit you get is this.

you shoot at your target. you see that 100 yards you shot 4 mil low. all you do is use the elevevation turret on your scope 4 mil up. you're set. with a mil/moa you'll have to convert the mil from moa so you know how many clicks you need to adjust it with.

or you can shoot a target that has the 1 moa boxes (1 inch boxes) so when you see that your bullet landed 4 inches slow, you just adjust your clicks 4 moa. (at 1/4 moa, you'd adjust 4x4=16)

mil/mil is better I think though because in real life, not everything you shoot at will have 1 moa boxes.

I'm also looking at the falcon FFP 4-14x now... at 380 dollars, that's a good deal for a FFP scope. I think FFP is a very ncie feature. but there isn't much to read about it and apparently snipercentral's falcon ended up breaking so they had to get it replaced (TRS-1 has had some issues too from what I read here, but they have stellar warranty)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Magstang1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please just don't say NcStar. </div></div>

Well there goes my suggestion.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Blind,

the TRS-1 is mil/mil or 1/4 moa. you get to choose when you buy it.

the benefit you get is this.

you shoot at your target. you see that 100 yards you shot 4 mil low. all you do is use the elevevation turret on your scope 4 mil up. you're set. with a mil/moa you'll have to convert the mil from moa so you know how many clicks you need to adjust it with.

or you can shoot a target that has the 1 moa boxes (1 inch boxes) so when you see that your bullet landed 4 inches slow, you just adjust your clicks 4 moa. (at 1/4 moa, you'd adjust 4x4=16)

mil/mil is better I think though because in real life, not everything you shoot at will have 1 moa boxes.

I'm also looking at the falcon FFP 4-14x now... at 380 dollars, that's a good deal for a FFP scope. I think FFP is a very ncie feature. but there isn't much to read about it and apparently snipercentral's falcon ended up breaking so they had to get it replaced (TRS-1 has had some issues too from what I read here, but they have stellar warranty) </div></div>

Thanks for that explanation. Couldn't seem to find it said so simply in the FAQ section. Maybe I just missed it.

I was thinking that I was going to get the 1/4moa adjustment version, but now I'm totally getting the .1mil adjustment version. So much easier, and won't have to calculate as much.

Thanks again.