• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a 300 PRC, 60 deg bolt, ai mags

grndZr0

Private
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Looking for a 300 PRC to shoot some local matches, hunt elk with. I’m in Montana, so long shots can be common, and I want somthing to deliver energy at range. Also, something for the production class perhaps. Looking at the Christensen MRP, as it’s light, packs nice with the folder.
But I grew up on a Remington 788, and I love the fast bolt. I’m sure I could get used to a 90 degree...
Other options I have found are the Masterpiece arms, but they are a bit out of my price range.
Brownings have short bolt throw, but having a problem finding a chassis for a long action browning.
Thoughts?
Ryan

Whats your price range? I'd avoid browning, after market options are pretty limited for it. Remington patterns are where its at for aftermarket stuff. I'd check out the Bergara Premier ones. I've got a Ridgeback, that I've since put into a KRG Bravo that shoots incredibly well. Bad Rock rifles are great as well. Straight Jacket Armory. Alamo Precision. There are some very fine options out there. Also, what is your time frame? Some take a bit to actually get.

Whats your price range? I'd avoid browning, after market options are pretty limited for it. Remington patterns are where its at for aftermarket stuff. I'd check out the Bergara Premier ones. I've got a Ridgeback, that I've since put into a KRG Bravo that shoots incredibly well. Bad Rock rifles are great as well. Straight Jacket Armory. Alamo Precision. There are some very fine options out there. Also, what is your time frame? Some take a bit to actually get.
I’de like to stay under 2k. But also, seems like a Ruger American in an MDT shoots 80%as good as a 2k rifle. I know 2k doesn’t get me real far these days. And the “production “ rules are weird as it seems like I could build a pretty sweet rig for cheaper than some of the “factory” production guns (GA, Masterpiece). I’m not in a huge hurry, I would like it a few months.

The bergara HMR wilderness seems like a good deal as well, just wish it was a bit lighter and had a folder.

I really like Tikkas also, but no 300 prc.

I realize I’m being picky, and I what a actually want is a custom gun at factory prices...

Just trying to get some other ideas.

Ryan

I think you are trying to do to much with one rifle. A lightweight 300PRC would be awful for PRS. You would want a heavy, smaller caliber rifle (which would be bad for elk hunting)

I think you would be better off prioritizing one function over the other instead of having a compromised rifle that's not good at either.

Reactions: RRW and Steel head
I think you are trying to do to much with one rifle. A lightweight 300PRC would be awful for PRS. You would want a heavy, smaller caliber rifle (which would be bad for elk hunting)

I think you would be better off prioritizing one function over the other instead of having a compromised rifle that's not good at either.
This. Excellent answer.
Build or buy your hunting rifle.
Build or buy a PRS rifle. You could use the same scope.
With careful shopping, you could buy two RPR's and be maybe 500 over the 2000 dollar mark.
They are very accurate, you would have the benefit of identical operation and fit but they are not light (I believe the later gens are lighter than the gen 1).
The RPR is available in .300 WM, there isn't a thimbles full of difference between the WM and the PRC as far as ballistics is concerned, there is far more ammo available for the WM.

Sako S20 might be worth checking out. It's a lighterweight "precision" oriented hunting rifle that currently comes in 6.5 PRC which would do well for your need. I think future plans might include a 300 PRC release, but I might be wrong.

This. Excellent answer.
Build or buy your hunting rifle.
Build or buy a PRS rifle. You could use the same scope.
With careful shopping, you could buy two RPR's and be maybe 500 over the 2000 dollar mark.
They are very accurate, you would have the benefit of identical operation and fit but they are not light (I believe the later gens are lighter than the gen 1).
The RPR is available in .300 WM, there isn't a thimbles full of difference between the WM and the PRC as far as ballistics is concerned, there is far more ammo available for the WM.

I am usually guilty of this line of thinking....

I was originally wanting a 6.5 creedmoore, but after this hunting season with my 308, I decided i wanted something with a bit more punch. So Ended up on the PRC... The ultimate plan is to get a 6mm as well, that would be a coyote/match gun.

Also, my level of match shooting is around 2-3 a year. And all local 1 day matches so far. Realistically I'm not going to be real into it. Just don't have the time as I have a family and several other hobbies.

I just enjoy shooting a match or 2 as I like the competition, always great people to learn from, and it helps keep my skills a bit more honed.

So far i have shot around 3 matches, all with my 16" AR-10 with an Athlon scope (Around $1300 into my entire kit). Won the tactical class at our last match - Kinda a fluke, as I was 31/37 overall, but beat the other 2 308 shooters...

But clearly saw the weakness of my platform.

I understand 300 PRC isn't leaps and bounds over a 300 WM - But It seems to be gaining popularity, and has a few advantages over 300WM, even if subtle.

I do like the RPRs, but lots heavier than i want for hunting, even though they do make it in 300 PRC. If they made an American, predator in 300 PRC, I'de be all over throwing that into a basic MDT with a folder.

Thanks for the ideas.

Straight jacket looks pretty sweet, fairly local, and pretty reasonable prices.

Any other 700 LA footprints actions, that are 3 lug and cheaper?

Ryan

I’de like to stay under 2k. But also, seems like a Ruger American in an MDT shoots 80%as good as a 2k rifle. I know 2k doesn’t get me real far these days. And the “production “ rules are weird as it seems like I could build a pretty sweet rig for cheaper than some of the “factory” production guns (GA, Masterpiece). I’m not in a huge hurry, I would like it a few months.

The bergara HMR wilderness seems like a good deal as well, just wish it was a bit lighter and had a folder.

I really like Tikkas also, but no 300 prc.

I realize I’m being picky, and I what a actually want is a custom gun at factory prices...

Just trying to get some other ideas.

Ryan
Right on. Like the gentlemen above said, I'd shoot for one or the other, a PRS rifle or a hunting rifle. Depending on how you hunt. If you're a blind or tree stand hunter and aren't packing it for miles you could use one. But if you're a spot and stalk hunter and are hiking long distances unless you're a glutton for punishment a PRS rifle wouldn't be your best bet. I've got a custom built 280AI for my hunting rifle, and loaded with glass it comes in about 9 pounds. It's great for target shooting, and a fantastic hunting rifle, but it might not be the best for PRS. I'd look at a Bergara HMR PRO, it would be a nice setup for a variety of things. They're very nice. I got a Bergara Ridgeback in 300PRC and put it in a KRG Bravo. The Ridgeback stock just didn't fit me well. I have a Tikka CTR that's been customized in 6.5Creedmoor. It's a fantastic rifle. Does it have to be a 300PRC? You could get a Tikka in 300WSM, and have an aftermarket barrel put on it thats throated for bigger pills and have a hell of a hunting rifle. If you're fine with a 10 pound or so rifle for hunting you could do the HMR PRO, then put it in a Mesa Composites or AG composites stock to shed some weight, while still having a hammer of a rig for about $2k.