• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a 45 degree Ar15 safety switch

TexPatriot

Two Star General
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2020
I see 45 degree ambidextrous safeties that are in the 45 degree or 4:30 position when on Safe, and in the vertical or 6:00 postion when on Fire but what I want is a safety that is the normal horizontal or 3:00 position on Safe and is at 45 degrees or at 4:30 when off or in Fire postion. I want a platform to rest my thumb on like when shooting a 1911.

Also, I really don't want an ambidextrous safety. Is what I'm describing available?

TIA

Reactions: Constructor
The vast majority of safeties that are not a 90deg throw stop short on fire, not on safe.

Not an endorsement- just the first thing that came up with a google search.

Most people want ambi, but you should be able to find a non-ambi 45 or 60 deg safety if you look a bit.

That said, I don’t think resting your thumb on an ar safety will be like doing the same on a 1911. It is higher in the receiver…

I

I see 45 degree ambidextrous safeties that are in the 45 degree or 4:30 position when on Safe, and in the vertical or 6:00 postion when on Fire but what I want is a safety that is the normal horizontal or 3:00 position on Safe and is at 45 degrees or at 4:30 when off or in Fire postion. I want a platform to rest my thumb on like when shooting a 1911.

Also, I really don't want an ambidextrous safety. Is what I'm describing available?

TIA

You should look at the Triggertech Safety selectors, they are phenomenal!! They are designed so you don't have to remove your grip and detent/spring to install the Safety or a trigger. I'm always testing different triggers and it's so much easier when installing and fine tuning triggers to not have to remove your grips.

Reactions: jb0311
The vast majority of safeties that are not a 90deg throw stop short on fire, not on safe.

Not an endorsement- just the first thing that came up with a google search.

Most people want ambi, but you should be able to find a non-ambi 45 or 60 deg safety if you look a bit.

That said, I don’t think resting your thumb on an ar safety will be like doing the same on a 1911. It is higher in the receiver…

I
Thanks! It appears Radian has what I'm looking for but are Out of Stock.

You should look at the Triggertech Safety selectors, they are phenomenal!! They are designed so you don't have to remove your grip and detent/spring to install the Safety or a trigger. I'm always testing different triggers and it's so much easier when installing and fine tuning triggers to not have to remove your grips.
Thank you Sir.

It appears Triggertech offers a non ambi- as well.

You'll probably have issues running the radian how you've described. Supposedly they fixed the issue, but it still happens. It's where if you apply lateral pressure when functioning the safety it will rotate all the way around past the detents into what would be the "auto" setting and lock everything up. Can't press trigger, cant rotate back around without removing the safety. Really not much of a ledge there to get a solid rest either.

edit - Forward Controls makes great safeties and has a 50* version.

You'll probably have issues running the radian how you've described. Supposedly they fixed the issue, but it still happens. It's where if you apply lateral pressure when functioning the safety it will rotate all the way around past the detents into what would be the "auto" setting and lock everything up. Can't press trigger, cant rotate back around without removing the safety. Really not much of a ledge there to get a solid rest either.

edit - Forward Controls makes great safeties and has a 50* version.
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Check out V Seven safeties. I prefer their 57 degree because it puts the lever at just the right angle for me to easily put it back on safe without having to move my grip. If you find it too stiff, cut a single coil off the safety spring at a time to get the stiffness where you like. I remove 0-1 coils. My significant other prefers 2-3 coils removed which is very light. Zero coils removed WILL be stiffer than a normal milspec safety. You may find the travel a bit far as I prefer to sweep past the safety and true 45 degree safeties stop too abruptly and some true 45 degree safety have reliability issues where if you pull the trigger very hard they either bypass the safety and fire or fire when switched back off safe.

Reactions: TexPatriot
I appreciate y'alls responses and will be researching all of them.

I think you know what I'm striving for, not only a shorter throw safety but one I can ride and keep my thumb on like a 1911 tactical thumb safety.

I may be adding a wider thumb platform to whatever I put on. I think a safety with a short, abrupt *snick like on a 1911 would be the tits on a CQB AR.