• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking for a Belgian pup...

Don,
Sorry shes higher drive. But in actuality shes the lower end drive wise of what i breed.so before you go throwing low-high drive statements, understand we all look @ it different. See folks theres a huge difference between dogs bred to the original standards & bred towards the breeders choice in the standards! Some more for work, some show, alot of bullshit not fit to be sold& very few like me that breed for the total dog!
The German shepherd was designed as a " WORKING UTILITY" dog! Like mine, i can say that because they are doing different things! 4 service dogs, 2 police k9's, 3 sport dogs & 5 family dogs all from 2 differnt litters of same parents.
Its the quality of placement of the right dog, regardless of color/sex/etc... with what you need, not what you think you want. I can make a fit quikly, but you will never be truly happy! It takes some time!
Time both the guys here spent with me in emails, texts, phone calls. I might not have the answer you want, but i'm trying to be honest over making a buck! I'm pretty sure don can vouch for that, i mean he gave me $ to get a dog while in germany. There were dogs there, but werent what HE wanted or i didnt believe worth the price. So he waited and got a puppy & i do believe hes happy with her, besides a few mudroles!

Everything there is true, ImportGSD has been trustworthy with a large advance of cash from me. When initally he did not find the right deal for me he returned the money. Subsequently he gave me a great deal on a good dog.

I'm glad to see you back on the Hide. Hope you are back to 100% soon.

I've been following this thread with some interest for a few days now. Seems to be a lot of good advice from some very informed people about Mali's. About a year (and some change) ago, my daughter ended up bringing a Mali home as a pet (was not "in the plan", it just kind of happened). The wife was...apprehensive about my daughter's choice.

From day one, all I could say was "wow". This was a puppy pound dog, that came from a breeder (girls at the pound were explaining the back ground as we were looking for a dog for my daughter). Apparently, the litter was given to the pound because two separate males covered the same bitch, and the litter showed it. It appears that the breeder dealt in Groenendael and Malinios, and the bitch was covered by males of both breeds, since three of the four puppies were clearly Groenendaels and the other (the one we ended up with) was Malinios. Whether this is actually what happened or not (don't really know and don't really care actually), I still sit back and say "wow" when working with "Sasha".

I have never be a real dog person, (growing up in the military, it was not something my parents wanted to deal with), but I was shocked by this little ball of energy and her intelligence. Within three days of being in the house she was house broken and would respond to verbal and hand commands, (and she was maybe two months old at the time). Today she's about a year and a half old, and (as I understand it from reading) still exhibits some puppy'ish behavior, but has become a stalwart part of the family. Easy going, but energetic; playful and affectionate, friendly, but quickly protective when she feels anyone in the family is threatened, I am continually impressed. She has those eyes and eyebrows that show expression and clearly convey when the gears are turning. This dog is just plain flat out smart.

I'm no trainer and have no real experience with dogs (horses yes, dogs...no), but she has been fairly easy to train in basic commands ("sit", "laydown", "bed", "room" (crating command), etc.). She also was easily trained in hand signals. When I was training her in basic commands, in addition to voice commands, I'd always perform a hand signal. She latched on to the hand signals, just like the voice commands. Now, I just snap my fingers and point down for sit, flat hand/palm down for lay down, quick slap to the back of my leg for heel, etc.. Again, amazed and how quickly she picked it up (I really only had to walk her through the commands a handful of times before she grasped the concept). She does display the need for an easy hand (from my reading this is common of this breed?) when disciplining, and I can tell when she thinks/knows she's in trouble. I've never had to physically discipline her, as a stern voice is usually all that is required (though she does try to push the boundaries of the commands quite often). I hesitate to be more forceful in discipline, as I don't want a brow beat dog. For example, when given the command "bed", she'll go over to her bed and get up on it and lay down (usually this is done while we're eating dinner). Sometimes she'll begin to low crawl out of the bed, and around the base of the furniture to peak her head around, to watch us eat (her form of begging I'd guess). Most times I don't even have to give a command, I just give her a hard stare, and she gets up and goes back to her bed (like I said, super smart). Other times, a simple "Sasha" in a firm tone accomplished the same thing.

As to aggressiveness, I think she is just starting to show signs of it, but it is usually in response to a threat. We have a neighbor that is, quite honestly, a douche bag at times. I looked out in the back yard one day, and saw Sasha standing there, hackles up, teeth bared and she barked, once, and loud (she hardly ever makes a sound other than soft whines). I quietly opened the door to investigate, and I noticed two things. One, she knew I was there but never took her eyes off the neighbor (as I walked out, I saw one of her ears point my way, she shifted her back to me, and her ear went back forward towards douche bag). Two, the neighbor was taunting her by pushing his head through the hedge row between our houses. Sasha was not happy, and I don't think douche bag realized how close he was to having a 50lb ball of teeth and claws leave the launch pad for an in flight assault. At any rate, I gave her the heel command and she quickly came back to me, circled and continued to face the perceived threat, low growling with some soft whines. Again, I was very impressed, and so was douche bag, who immediately realized I had seen what he was doing, and promptly disappeared from the hedge row.

I'm not sure where I was intending to go with this post, other than to convey my experience with Sasha, and the degree of awe I have for her breeding and personality. She is pretty energetic, and does require a lot of attention/stimulation, but we haven't experienced any problems/bad habits from her. For those of you who do train this breed, I'd be interested in and appreciate any comments you might have.

That is a good looking dog.

Well nice story of "a reputable breeder". Drops a litter off at the pound although you can register puppies from a "dual sired litter" ! Im sure the same ppl boast loving & wanting to do best for their dogs! That is exactly why i hate most "breeders" there is 0 excuse for what they did !
Im glad your enjoing her, glad you gave her a home & are trying. Depends on where you are if i know anyone around or to point ya towards to do more or learn alittle.

Yeah, I hear you about a lot breeders. My ex in-laws were breeders, so I've seen a puppy mill up close. Pretty pathetic from what I saw. Same thing rings true with a lot of horse breeders (unfortunately).

I'm in San Diego, if that helps any. Regardless of her pedigree, Sasha has been a great dog. As we say in the horse community a lot of times "You can't ride papers".

One of the reasons I've enjoyed Import_gsd 's contributions so much over the years is that he's on the total other side of my area of experience: he's a breeder and importer whereas I was just a handler/trainer/kennel master. I worked with several guys who had been involved in the breeding/importing side of things and could look at papers, lines, titles, etc.

I typically didn't even have access to a dog's papers, so I just worked with what I saw in each dog. The rare exception was if I had a dog targeting certain areas on a bite, without a cue from the decoy, I'd ask for a records check to see if the dog had come from French Ring, or Schutzhund, or whatever.

I liked having a guy who could decipher all of the back story to help me understand what portion of what I was seeing was part of breeding or prior training.

One of the reasons I've enjoyed Import_gsd 's contributions so much over the years is that he's on the total other side of my area of experience: he's a breeder and importer whereas I was just a handler/trainer/kennel master. I worked with several guys who had been involved in the breeding/importing side of things and could look at papers, lines, titles, etc.

I typically didn't even have access to a dog's papers, so I just worked with what I saw in each dog. The rare exception was if I had a dog targeting certain areas on a bite, without a cue from the decoy, I'd ask for a records check to see if the dog had come from French Ring, or Schutzhund, or whatever.

I liked having a guy who could decipher all of the back story to help me understand what portion of what I was seeing was part of breeding or prior training.

Import GSD's ability and skill at reading pedigrees' and having the ability to assertain the outcomes of breeding are by two things, hard work and passion. He's put in the leg work to see and talk to world class breeders, research history about the successes and failures, and will only breed when the pair(s) are suitable to perpetuate the type, character, and working ability of the breed.
We all have opinions on what we like and believe are acceptable, but in the USA he's the one I've found that is no fluff, but genuinely loves the GSD. And yeah, I'm pretty biased, sue me...

Well,
I learned how corrupt most people are the hard way. I was always honest with them and expected the same. What i found was if you dont ask their not going to tell you, even if they know! Like selling a sterile dog to someone wanting to breed! Dogs with health & temperment issues! I will handle any dog, period! No matter how aggressive they act, but i have 3 young daughters, that i WILL NOT ENDANGER! So i always ask if they are friendly with kids. If a dog ever turns on a child while im present it gets a dirt nap via 9mm faster than any haji overseas ever did! I had to have a 7 mo old pup i bred pts sleep for that reason, he was returned, we worked with him for a month but he was unfixable & dangerous, so i took him to my vet & he was euthanized, because he wasput in a crate& never socialized, owner was affraid of him, he was affraid because he didnt know anything but the crate!
I'd like to save people money, from those overcharging for salesmanship! But hey if you want to pay to hear yes to everything then be my guest! They have the best, bloodlines,titles,shows, that money can buy! Also ask how many went & looked or actually picked that dog? Why they picked it & what does he bring both good & bad to the table? 90% couldnt answer. Most of them call a broker and order a dog. How many do you think actually get what they want? The other way is they buy a dog listed overseas & get it without knowing anything but what their told in emails or a phone call. All of them quote what they hear, but never saw the dog, they know key "champion"names, ask who that dogs parents are! Watch them fumble. I dont know everything i wish i did, but ill put my knowledge agaist any breeders in the usa, but bring a dog you bred so the judges can see both & compare to the ORIGINAL STANDARD & we will see how it goes.
to the original poster, let me know what your looking for. Im sure we can get pretty close to perfect if you have a little time

Those of you looking, i know where malinois pups are expected in july. Located in Alabama, i helped train dad, he is a real deal personal protection dog, belgian & knpv lines with some french ring. Mom i picked out of a litter, similar lines. Produce super pups, medium to extreme drives! Usually 1-3 lower drive (mom type) but also higher fight/ aggression, so MUST be socialized positively! I can start a puppy for you coreectly, but its going to cost!!! Or ask bogey if he can help? He knoelws the right way/things that need to be done.
Anyways, their about 800ea, ckc registered, ill explain if your interested. And get more info if anyones interested.
Kenny